Would you take Klieman as head coach?

I think my biggest thing with the staff is for the most part its been around for so long that I just feel its gotten stale and needs a breath of fresh air. Besides, I don't see us benefitting at all in terms of recruiting pipelines if we stay in house on a new hire.

Out coaching 1 FBS team when you are playing up and they are playing down is completely different than facing a FBS team with another FBS team. It is like how Clown fan thought Campbell was going to come in, and be a better X's and O's coach than Rhoads, because Campbell beat ISU and Arkansas when he was at Toledo. It is completely different, and the transitive properties just don't work in sports.

Yea, but don't most coaches usually come up from the ranks of a non P5 conference school or a FCS school. It isn't like all other coaches don't start at those levels. Just say'in.

The Iowa job will be highly sought after when KF is done. Not saying its Bama, ND, etc...........but it will have a lot of interest across the country.

I agree. It's a P5 school that is garners so much support from the fans and the administration. What other school has had only 2 coaches in the last 36 yrs. The university is willing to provide top notch facilities when needed. It's a good NCAA football gig. Oh, and they are willing to $$ well. I think it will really be sought out.

I wouldn't be ready to throw money at him yet, NDSU is obviously a great program, not coaching in the big ten is a huge leap.

Klieman has great potential, but he's not tressel yet.

Keep in mind that Bohl build that NDSU from a DII School I believe to a FCS power. His best opportunity was Wyoming. Not very often is a head coach going to jump from FCS right to a P5 team.

2 biggest things for a head coach to be able to do: Recruit and hire good assistants. What you normally see is coaches struggle after a couple of decent years when they are first hired because they lose their assistants they knew and hired. It is the area in my estimation where Kirk has really struggled. But he does eventually get rid of the assistants and goes from there. Our current resurgence was after a number of assistants left or were asked to go. now we lost the LB coach- stay tuned.

There's a graveyard of coaches who accomplished some great things at a lower level and/or scored a giant upset only to flame out at the power 5 level. There are some who have been successful so it's a crap shoot to project anyone.

For Kleimann at the power 5 level as others pointed out can he recruit nationally at a program like Iowa? You have to have good players and develop other overlooked players. It's a whole different animal to compete 10-11 times a year against power 5 competition than doing it once a year.

What NDSU did to Iowa goes on tape that all other future power 5 opponents would look at and game plan for. A number of those opponents will have better players than Iowa. Kleimann will have to deal with more challenges at the big boy level than he does now. Bohl has struggled to get Wyoming off the ground in his first 2 years. We'll see what happens this year. That's not even a power 5 job.

Maybe he is Jerry Kill minus the epilepsy. He could take a lower tier power 5 team build it up to where they are winning 6-8 games a year. He could work at a school like Iowa St. develop a power run game be the "gimmick" in the Big 12. He seems like a guy who would love and appreciate being at ISU and the fans would love him back.

When KF is ready to hang it up....5-7 years from now, I wouldn't mind there being a different AD doing the hiring.

Until then, getting a good recruiting OC, who is innovative, and has full control of the playcalling is, IMO, more imperative than anything else.

I will contend that we lost Saturday because our OC did not change anything to help his players. Yes, we had some pass protection issues and dropped passes, but the playcalling/philosophy was beyond poor....

And yes, ultimately this is on KF, he hired GD. I still say CJ was able to hide a lot of crappy playcalling last year as well.

I tend to agree. The track record for coaches making the jump from FCS to FBS is a bit sketchy as well. However, his record in "games that matter" in unblemished, and reading between the lines from Coach Ferentz's Tuesday press-conference, I feel that the coach as much as admitted that they were out-coached. It will be interesting to see if he gets, or wants, FBS opportunities in the coming years.

WTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maine is FCS. Guess who coached Maine?

And using that as a comparative resume Kleiman would be a thousand times better than the current legend.

In reality I do think he would be a great hire. Would he be better than Kirk? I don't know, but I'd like to roll the dice.

klieman makes $500k after all bonuses/camps etc in FARGO. He isnt taking a coordinators job although he is Iowan thru & thru.

Bohl left 1 year too early from NDSU to get a P5 job, but he had land in wyoming and got $3 million over 4 years or something like that.

I don't know why some of you have this notion that Brian Ferentz is being groomed to be the next Iowa coach. I fully expect BF to move on in a couple of years as either an NFL offensive line coach or more likely a college job where there is a pathway up.

Can he recruit? Because if he can't bring in to 10 recruiting classes year after year. He will fare no better than KF in winning the BIG much less the NC. Lots of great coaching minds out there. They just can't get the players needed to help them prove it.

Oh yeah, being able to circumvent the rules without getting caught can help too. And when you do get caught you have to be able to suck up to the NCAA and impose some BS penalties on yourself to make yourself look good.

Last edited:
klieman makes $500k after all bonuses/camps etc in FARGO. He isnt taking a coordinators job although he is Iowan thru & thru.

Bohl left 1 year too early from NDSU to get a P5 job, but he had land in wyoming and got $3 million over 4 years or something like that.

Most Coordinator jobs now will pay that much. Iowa is paying $600,000 and that is BEFORE bonuses.

If I were Klieman, and if my goal was a good FBS job, I would absolutely go and take a DC job somewhere (not saying Iowa, just anywhere really). If Klieman had that on his resume along with what he has done at NDSU, he could probably get a P5 head coaching job somewhere. Otherwise he is going to be regulated to the MAC or MWC as his starting off point. I suppose there is nothing wrong with either, but I think he needs to get his feet wet recruiting and coaching against fellow P5's if that is his ultimate goal.

This isn't meant as a slight, it is just that most P5 schools want to see some success at the FBS/Pro level, as at least an assistant coach.

Can he recruit? Because if he can't bring in to 10 recruiting classes year after year. He will fare no better than KF in winning the BIG much less the NC. Lots of great coaching minds out there. They just can't get the players needed to help them prove it.

Oh yeah, being able to circumvent the rules without getting caught can help too. And when you do get caught you have to be able to suck up to the NCAA and impose some BS penalties on yourself to make yourself look good.

Right now, (past few recruiting classes), Iowa and NDSU pretty much recruited the same kind of talent with many 3* players. Klieman outcoached Iowa and their staff last Saturday and held Iowa to one of its lowest rushing outputs in recent history. They schemed and Klieman put his players in a position to win. KF did not last Saturday. It would AT LEAST be a push at this point, and you're rolling the dice that Klieman may bring a little more upside, especially if could improve recruiting to Iowa at that level.

I'm telling you, my neighbor who played with Klieman and Farley on the same D told me two years ago Klieman is a football genius. I personally think there is a great future for this coach somewhere.

WTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maine is FCS. Guess who coached Maine?

And using that as a comparative resume Kleiman would be a thousand times better than the current legend.

In reality I do think he would be a great hire. Would he be better than Kirk? I don't know, but I'd like to roll the dice.

I am aware of Coach Ferentz's background, but that is also just a single example. As others have pointed out, there are many flame outs along the way as well.

I don't intend this as a "Fire Ferentz" thread. But out of curiosity, say Ferentz retires in 4 years, and Iowa hires NDSU coach Chris Klieman(53 years old at that point). Native Iowan, UNI grad, successful recent track record. In a vacuum (i.e. not knowing any other candidates that would be available), would this be a reasonable hire?

Or to make a specific comparison, at that point would you feel better about 53 year old Klieman or 37 year old Brian Ferentz?

I can think of reasons to think Klieman might work, as well as reasons to be skeptical. Curious what others think.

Well "if" a giant asteroid collides with Earth in 3 years we won't have to worry about this "if" occurring.

Latest posts