Would Kirk win the national title with bama's roster?

Players win games. You think Chizik is a good coach, or Les Miles? Those two couldn't coach their way out of a paper bag, but they have both won NC.

Coaches are better with better talent to coach:

Saben > at Alabama over Sparty
Miles > at LSU over Okie St.
Chizik > at Auburn over ISU

This holds true for NFL coaches also

Belichick > at NE over Cleveland
Holmgren > at GB over Seattle
Parcells > at Giants over NE, Jets, Dallas

You really think those successful coaches didn't know how to coach when at other organizations? Coaches can put players in the position to be more successful, but players have to execute. You can call the perfect play at the perfect time, and if the QB overthrows the WR it is a bust. The most talented players make more plays, and less mistakes, and make coaches look good. Otherwise why didn't Saben win 3 titles with Sparty? Why did Bilichick fail at Cleveland, but succeeds with Brady at QB? How does Chizik win 5 games in two years, wins a NC with Cam, and then gets fired 2 years later?

I think Saban is definitely a better coach but Saban runs a pretty conservative offensive attack as well. You will never confuse 'Bama under Saban with Kelly's Oregon or Meyer's OSU/Florida for example.

In the 1st Qtr, Bama had 14 rushes, 9 passes. 2nd Qtr 10 rushes, 9 passes. Half-time=24 rush-18 pass. No exactly pedal to the medal, high-flying excitement. What made it exciting was their execution and the fact that Lacey is a friggin' stud who runs angry.

Iowa's last 'big stage' game was obviously the 2010 Orange Bowl. In 1st half Iowa had 17 rushes to 21 passes.

I don't like KF's conservative approach either, but Saban and Ferentz are not polar opposites either.

Now defensively is where 'Bama is ruthless and keeps coming after you-something Ferentz teams don't do.

In 2010, we saw what ferentz did with the best talent Iowa had in thirty years. Just a Indiana pass drop from going 6-6.

You are clueless if you think that. There are several Iowa teams over the last 30 years that had way more talent that the 2010 team.

Honest question. I wonder if the ultra ultra conservative approach would blow a game, always playing not to lose instead of keeping the pedal down like bama does.

If it was an honest question, then you shouldn't have slanted it with your commentary afterwards. This roster is Ferentz's dream, his proof that his type of offense works, and what justifies his approach. He'd win a title with this roster, but he doesn't have this roster, so they don't.

Watching the game last night is a stark reminder of how talent deprived Iowa is. News Flash - They need better players.

I think KF would win a NC with Alabama talent. Here's Rivals recruiting team rankings for four years:

Alabama:

2013: #5
2012: #1
2011: #1
2010: #5

I think KF would win a NC with Alabama talent. Here's Rivals recruiting team rankings for four years:

Alabama:

2013: #5
2012: #1
2011: #1
2010: #5

Plus they sign ALOT more players than schools like Iowa do. Over the past 5 yrs which made up last night's roster, Alabama signed 136 players to Iowa's 113. 23 extra players = almost 5 per yr. You can miss on more kids, absorb more injuries, etc.

Obviously, 'Bama recruits are much more highly ranked than Iowa.

You are clueless if you think that. There are several Iowa teams over the last 30 years that had way more talent that the 2010 team.

I know Freed was exaggerating a little bit but go look at how many NFL players were on that team. The talent on that team ranks pretty high compared to any other Hawkeye team over the past 30 years. I think you have to go back to 1961 to find a more talented Iowa team that under performed like they did. I know Hayden had a few (1988 comes to mind) but none with that kind of talent as the 2010 team.

You are right to an extent. Where were the National Championships while he was at Michigan State? You still have to have the talent and the SEC big dogs certainly do.

I think Ferentz would have a better chance of winning a national championship at Alabama than Saban would at Iowa.

A very easy answer to this question is that it is very likely he has grown through experience and learning. I think people forget that just like a player isn't the same at the beginning of his career as he is at the end, the same goes for coaches. Just because I think Kirk is a crap coach now doesn't mean I don't think he was a good coach in 2002. He is a different coach, he is a different man than he was then. I think Saban has learned along the way and improved as a coach, plain and simple.

I love all of these hypothetical threads that show how horrible Kurt is. They really make the football board tolerable.

It certainly is debatable but Podolak was on record before the start of the 2010 season saying it was the most talented Iowa team he had seen.

It certainly is debatable but Podolak was on record before the start of the 2010 season saying it was the most talented Iowa team he had seen.

2002, 1997, 1985, all had more talent if you ask me and that is just off the top of my head.

I will say that 2010 sits right up there with 1997 as the most disappointed I have been after a football season.

Clueless? Ok, want me to tell Ed P. that he's clueless. Thos were the exact words from his mouth in August of 2010 that this was the best talent Iowa had in the last thirty years.

FreedComanche

2002, 1997, 1985, all had more talent if you ask me and that is just off the top of my head.

I will say that 2010 sits right up there with 1997 as the most disappointed I have been after a football season.

Right, Ed P. called all those games, I don't think he called the 85 season. You would know more about the talent level at Iowa than him. Good grief.............

FreedComanche

Other than Dwight, Banks and Devries 1997 doesn't really belong in the most talented discussion nor is it near the disappointment of 2010 when you consider the '97 team started the year ranked number 19 vs. 2010 when people were talking a NC and p8ssed we were not pre-season top five.

Aw come on hoffa, 2002 and 1985 I cannot argue with but those teams played up to their abilities but that 97 team was not anywhere near as talented as the 2010 team. There were a handful of good players on that team (Bowen, Banks, and Dwight come to mind) but not anywhere close to all the NFL talent the 2010 team had. I hate to disrespect former Hawks but there is no comparison between Stanzi and Sherman, Sherman was horrible that year.

Latest posts