Worst Iowa team in Modern Era...I still think Lick's teams beat this outfit

I don’t see the defensive issues as “slow-footed” at all...I see terrible fundamentals and a complete lack of awareness. We stand straight up..no defensive posture at all. We don’t use our hands to disrupt sight lines of the guy with the ball or to get in the passing lanes. We play up in guys who can drive and hang back off of shooters. We scramble when out of position and hall ass out to the ball out of control, letting the guy easily drive by. Defenders constantly run into each other. We show no knowledge of how to properly play pick and rolls or on-ball screens. Our frontline ALWAYS gives up baseline...never funneling back to the middle where the help is. On switches, we CONSTANTLY end up with two guys on the ball which inevitably leaves a man completely free.

In other words, it looks like we devote maybe 10 mins of practice time to defense...which backs up what a former starter under Fran has claimed...

Good post. One thing I noticed is the extraordinary amount of time that passes between when an offensive player starts his drive and when our defender starts to react to that move. That has nothing to do with foot speed, and the quickest guy in the world couldn't recover from that delayed reaction that every one of our players (except Baer) have. Reaction time is a gift that most D1 players have and we have a team full of guys who don't have that gift. Either that or it's just pure laziness.

Good post. One thing I noticed is the extraordinary amount of time that passes between when an offensive player starts his drive and when our defender starts to react to that move. That has nothing to do with foot speed, and the quickest guy in the world couldn't recover from that delayed reaction that every one of our players (except Baer) have. Reaction time is a gift that most D1 players have and we have a team full of guys who don't have that gift. Either that or it's just pure laziness.
I think it’s the latter. We essentially have the same team as last year and, while that wasn’t the greatest defensive team in history, it wasn’t putrid like this years...

Good coaches would create defensive game plans that mitigate issues with speed/quickness. But when you’re dead fucking last in ppg allowed in all power 5, it’s more than just quickness that’s the issue...

You can hide speed sometimes but youll never be great. You cant win the 100 w 13 second speed.

Have you ever been to hs holiday tourneys at the hs level outside of Iowa...talking major metro? If you havent you should. At the risk of getting rocks thrown at me, my son got to play against a number of past and present Big major starters. You know the difference when you see it. Cook is about the only one.

I think it’s the latter. We essentially have the same team as last year and, while that wasn’t the greatest defensive team in history, it wasn’t putrid like this years...

They were just better and more efficient on offense. That covered up some of the defensive woes we see now. Last year if they gave up 90, they were at least capable of scoring 90. This year’s team not so much.

Jok wasn’t exactly about effort on defense.

A Lick team vs this year’s team = a game so ugly your eyes would bleed.
4Vvo8.gif

I don’t see the defensive issues as “slow-footed” at all...I see terrible fundamentals and a complete lack of awareness. We stand straight up..no defensive posture at all. We don’t use our hands to disrupt sight lines of the guy with the ball or to get in the passing lanes. We play up in guys who can drive and hang back off of shooters. We scramble when out of position and hall ass out to the ball out of control, letting the guy easily drive by. Defenders constantly run into each other. We show no knowledge of how to properly play pick and rolls or on-ball screens. Our frontline ALWAYS gives up baseline...never funneling back to the middle where the help is. On switches, we CONSTANTLY end up with two guys on the ball which inevitably leaves a man completely free.

In other words, it looks like we devote maybe 10 mins of practice time to defense...which backs up what a former starter under Fran has claimed...
Last night was more than a lack of speed and that still is a major problem for this team. Last night you saw a team with a lack of effort which is not good. Most coaches would bench guys and go deep into bench but it seemed that every one on the floor was terrible. Looks like the team just quit which is a red flag that Fran has lost them. MSU game will be interesting to see if we can recover or do we fall further into a tail spin.

Last night was more than a lack of speed and that still is a major problem for this team. Last night you saw a team with a lack of effort which is not good. Most coaches would bench guys and go deep into bench but it seemed that every one on the floor was terrible. Looks like the team just quit which is a red flag that Fran has lost them. MSU game will be interesting to see if we can recover or do we fall further into a tail spin.

So ehat were you going to do, keep Garza out there and repeatedly get stuffed? Run Cook to 5 fouls? Jbo had a terrible fame. Think he secided not to try? Pemsyl hustled. He is just too small for what he played. PSU was so much stronger and anNIT team. Moss and Dailey didnt try? Cook didnt Try? Nunge?

Iowas offense coulfnt do much beyond open court running only to get stuffed.

The issues are...
Youth
Lack of fundamentals
Lack of athleticism
Lack of physical development.
No offensive adjustment of strategy.
Poor defense. Poor defense strategy.
No ability by coach to manage momentum

The latter sounds like KF.

I didnt see a lack of effort. Not all teams can match up with Cook which kept pressure on JBo who wasnt able to go off.

So ehat were you going to do, keep Garza out there and repeatedly get stuffed? Run Cook to 5 fouls? Jbo had a terrible fame. Think he secided not to try? Pemsyl hustled. He is just too small for what he played. PSU was so much stronger and anNIT team. Moss and Dailey didnt try? Cook didnt Try? Nunge?

Iowas offense coulfnt do much beyond open court running only to get stuffed.

The issues are...
Youth
Lack of fundamentals
Lack of athleticism
Lack of physical development.
No offensive adjustment of strategy.
Poor defense. Poor defense strategy.
No ability by coach to manage momentum

The latter sounds like KF.

I didnt see a lack of effort. Not all teams can match up with Cook which kept pressure on JBo who wasnt able to go off.
Lack of effort=Penn St steals it and we turn and watch them do a 360 on us.

If it came down to coaching I would give Lick the nod . He would outcoach Fran and beat him . Fran makes in game basketball moves that defy logic .

You don't have to be a great athlete to play good defense. Two things that have already been mentioned drive me crazy watching this team. No help defense and defenders not seeing their man and the ball. These two of course go hand in hand and is something most players learn at the jr high level.

The debate about whether it's lack of speed or lack of fundamentals, effort, etc., is pointless.

It's both. This is a very poor defensive team on several levels.

First, we lack lateral agility across the board and are almost scary bad at on-ball defense. Pemsl is the worst. He has no business being on the perimeter. Ever. Cook isn't far behind. Then, there's Bohannon, Nunge and Moss, and even Baer can't keep anyone in front of him (very good help and scramble defender, but always looks like he's falling over when he has to move laterally). Cook is perhaps the most frustrating given that the requisite athleticism is there. He just doesn't get the fundamentals of defense.

Combine that with slow rotations and poor or delayed switches with the team defense aspect, and we, well, just plain suck.

The dont have the atleticism. They dont.

The lack of effort is Barta keeping a poor coach. JV cant play varsity. Pretty easy to see.

If athleticism is the only thing that matters to defense how did Lick's horrible teams hold people consistently under 70 points?

The dont have the atleticism. They dont.

The lack of effort is Barta keeping a poor coach. JV cant play varsity. Pretty easy to see.

If athleticism is the only thing that matters to defense how has UNI had a top 20 defense playing pack line without a single 4* recruit?

If athleticism is the only thing that matters to defense how did Lick's horrible teams hold people consistently under 70 points?

They played slow ball. They do not have the strength and speed. Theyve won 3 games against 2 badly depleted and 1 very bad team. Who are you trying to kid?

If athleticism is the only thing that matters to defense how has UNI had a top 20 defense playing pack line without a single 4* recruit?

They are very poorly coached and dont have the horse power. You expect to be competitive?

Some of you want to blame this on effort. That would be easy to fix. Fact is we wont be very relavent for some time. We might see an uptick in 2 years but the bigger issue has at least 3 to 4 years and the new guy will need 3 or 4 yeas. So we are staring at 6 years or more of frustration.

Some of you need a realism check. In that time we might be a bubble team once.

They are very poorly coached and dont have the horse power. You expect to be competitive?

I'm not sure that either one of those responses constitutes a single answer. I don't want to argue how bad this team is. I want to argue that you must have an NBA roster to play some damned defense.

Latest posts