Worst Iowa team in Modern Era...I still think Lick's teams beat this outfit

No, I don't think it does. Iowa has nobody on the court that would be getting much playing time for Penn State. And PSU is a NIT team.

This years team would probably win, but this years team is much more embarrassing. We’ve been beaten like a red headed step child so many times I lost count. Lick’s team had less talent but I don’t think they got embarrassed like this, they at least competed.

This team lacks coaching. We will not win another game so might as well give the bench some playing time.

2017/2018 Iowa Basketball season

Train-Wreck-1.jpg

Lick's last team wouldn't beat anybody, but his first two would be competitive games. I think the second one would beat us right now. Peterson at point, Kelly and Gatens as shooters, Tate and Cole in the post, with Bawinkel and Fuller off the bench. Tate would have Cook in foul trouble two minutes into the game with his post move savvy. Kelly basically is Bohannon in a lot of ways so they'd balance each other out. If Anthony Tucker is actually playing, that team wins for sure, but I'm not counting him.

Lick's last team wouldn't beat anybody, but his first two would be competitive games. I think the second one would beat us right now. Peterson at point, Kelly and Gatens as shooters, Tate and Cole in the post, with Bawinkel and Fuller off the bench. Tate would have Cook in foul trouble two minutes into the game with his post move savvy. Kelly basically is Bohannon in a lot of ways so they'd balance each other out. If Anthony Tucker is actually playing, that team wins for sure, but I'm not counting him.
Lick's first 2 teams were 4th and 5th in PPG allowed, I believe. They would have smothered this team in the half court. His last team might have lost to this one.

Jake Kelly could score 35 on this team
Especially along side Gatens and Peterson in the same back court. It's too bad they had absolutely nothing in the front court. I think I could have got more out of David Palmer than Lickliter did., however.

We could put together a team from Hawkeyenation.com and beat this current Iowa team, even with Jon and Rob as our coaches;)

Two possibilities...

This team, is by far, the most disappointing team comparing their talent and depth with their record, which is, well, hideous.

This team, is by far, the most overrated team that I have seen, based on what I expected...perhaps erroneously...

A retreating and defeated Army is one of the saddest sights on earth...

We are easily the SLOWEST-FOOTED team in all of college basketball. Defense easily broken down every possession of every game==layups and wide open threes. Our only hope is a team somehow misses them. The bad news—EVERYONE returns (except Wagner who never plays-and he may be our best athlete).

Most often, the Iowa players don't get down into a good defensive position...they stand upright, wait for the opposing player to make a move, then chase and get out of the way of tomahawk jam...or grab for a foul.

And God forbid, that Iowa would play helping defense...

Damn refs...

Lick's first 2 teams were 4th and 5th in PPG allowed, I believe. They would have smothered this team in the half court. His last team might have lost to this one.

I don't think that's a huge feet considering how slow they played.

I don’t see the defensive issues as “slow-footed” at all...I see terrible fundamentals and a complete lack of awareness. We stand straight up..no defensive posture at all. We don’t use our hands to disrupt sight lines of the guy with the ball or to get in the passing lanes. We play up in guys who can drive and hang back off of shooters. We scramble when out of position and hall ass out to the ball out of control, letting the guy easily drive by. Defenders constantly run into each other. We show no knowledge of how to properly play pick and rolls or on-ball screens. Our frontline ALWAYS gives up baseline...never funneling back to the middle where the help is. On switches, we CONSTANTLY end up with two guys on the ball which inevitably leaves a man completely free.

In other words, it looks like we devote maybe 10 mins of practice time to defense...which backs up what a former starter under Fran has claimed...

I don’t see the defensive issues as “slow-footed” at all...I see terrible fundamentals and a complete lack of awareness. We stand straight up..no defensive posture at all. We don’t use our hands to disrupt sight lines of the guy with the ball or to get in the passing lanes. We play up in guys who can drive and hang back off of shooters. We scramble when out of position and hall ass out to the ball out of control, letting the guy easily drive by. Defenders constantly run into each other. We show no knowledge of how to properly play pick and rolls or on-ball screens. Our frontline ALWAYS gives up baseline...never funneling back to the middle where the help is. On switches, we CONSTANTLY end up with two guys on the ball which inevitably leaves a man completely free.

In other words, it looks like we devote maybe 10 mins of practice time to defense...which backs up what a former starter under Fran has claimed...
Mostly right but Iowa has usually 4 if tge slowest players on the court. Lack of speed is why most werent highly recruited.

Mostly right but Iowa has usually 4 if tge slowest players on the court. Lack of speed is why most werent highly recruited.
Good coaches would create defensive game plans that mitigate issues with speed/quickness. But when you’re dead fucking last in ppg allowed in all power 5, it’s more than just quickness that’s the issue...

Latest posts