Worst Defensive Game Plan Ever!

bphawkeye

Just rewatched this crap! Rush 4 and everyone else back 8 yards? The entire game? and then wonder why Iowa can't get a pass rush or a good defensive stop on running plays? I do not understand!

Yeah, I dont like the sitting back and not attacking. It was like the 2014 ISU game where afterwards Phil Parker said they cant sit back anymore but must start being more aggressive.

The coaches put in a soft plan today and the corners didnt make many plays

Yeah, I dont like the sitting back and not attacking. It was like the 2014 ISU game where afterwards Phil Parker said they cant sit back anymore but must start being more aggressive.

The coaches put in a soft plan today and the corners didnt make many plays

Yeah. Relying on the weak link to win the game is generally advised against.

Just rewatched this crap! Rush 4 and everyone else back 8 yards? The entire game? and then wonder why Iowa can't get a pass rush or a good defensive stop on running plays? I do not understand!
This is the 20th year in a row of this defense. How can you not understand?

Mich St. Beat Purdue. Guess how. They applied pressure constantly. Guess that was loss on Parker when he watched the film. Or does he not watch film?

I don't either PP did the same thing against Wisconsin making Hornitoad look like an All-American.

They should have had a defensive game plan similar to the one MSU deployed AND worked.

Re: Film study.

From all indications, this program is stuck in the 90s. That was well before any of this new fangled technology. Not a lot of time in the day to load the film on the projector. And then manually rewind it.

Plus, we have always done it, so it must work.

They were very scared of Moore's speed. That's why safeties were playing up, and let balls behind them like we never do, its why we were rushing 4 and dropping 7. Plus they thought with them starting a new left tackle they would get home more often then they did. The Qb's clock was perfect Saturday honestly. Knew right when he needed to throw it to not get hit, and to let his speed guys make their break. Phil has been phenomenal this year, and for a long time. He got beat Saturday, he would say that. The defensive guys know they got beat Saturday and it sucks, feel for them definitely.

They were very scared of Moore's speed. That's why safeties were playing up, and let balls behind them like we never do, its why we were rushing 4 and dropping 7. Plus they thought with them starting a new left tackle they would get home more often then they did. The Qb's clock was perfect Saturday honestly. Knew right when he needed to throw it to not get hit, and to let his speed guys make their break. Phil has been phenomenal this year, and for a long time. He got beat Saturday, he would say that. The defensive guys know they got beat Saturday and it sucks, feel for them definitely.
Brohm picked on Moss just like he picked on Rugumba last year. Parker was slow to adjust both times. He employed Hayden’s philosophy to a tee.

Brohm picked on Moss just like he picked on Rugumba last year. Parker was slow to adjust both times. He employed Hayden’s philosophy to a tee.
Yup. It wasn't rocket science... They could have yelled across the field and told them what they were going to do. There was nothing that would have changed anything unless Moss could run with/cover them. I thought on the one TD the receiver pushed off ever so much. I've seen worse not called though so whatever. But that's on the coaches. I'm not going to get pissed at the true freshman 2 star corner for trying. He probably isn't ready to be out there like that yet and if he's as good as we got than that's on the coaches not him.

I guess this is my beef with the Iowa coaching staff, in particular starts at the top with Ferentz. I'm so sick of them coaching "scared" or so much tied in with the stats as far as % of success goes.

Mich St. Beat Purdue. Guess how. They applied pressure constantly. Guess that was loss on Parker when he watched the film. Or does he not watch film?
I guess this is my beef with the Iowa coaching staff, in particular starts at the top with Ferentz. I'm so sick of them coaching "scared" or so much tied in with the stats as far as % of success goes.
This is actually no different a situation as Fran's point guard fiasco the past couple years.

They had to play the way they did because the two CBs were so over matched there was no way else to do it. Who's there to help out Moss and Brents if you blitz? Especially with Moore and Knox on the field at the same time. Look what happened to Moss and that was with Hooker and Gervase holding his hand the entire game. If Parker blitzed LBs the safeties had to cover the box and it'd have been 10 times worse.

It's not as easy as blitzing because you create a vacuum when you do that. Rushing LBs creates gaps in the box that have to be covered by safeties, which in turn removes them from helping in pass coverage, which leads to man coverage by our CBs who are horribly out-gunned for that style of play. Blitzing has a cascading effect on your defense that has to be covered from top to bottom. It's an 11 man effort and you can't just think of it as sending rushers. Everyone has to be good enough to play the situation and we don't have that.

Jeff Brohm and his DC saw that and exploited it beautifully. Even a casual observer can see it if you watch any of Moss's film. He knew we were going to lay off because we had to, couple that with good WRs vs comparatively bad DBs, and what more could you want?

This game was a perfect one to show the holes in our recruiting. Parker did the only thing he could with the players available. But just like Fran had to adapt game plans around positional shortages at PG to disastrous effect, Parker is seeing the effects of lack of depth. If you have to start two highly mediocre true freshman in the Big Ten because they're your best players at that spot, someone has failed miserably at recruiting. And yes, part of that is on Parker.

Before the town criers start yelling at me about calling out Moss and Brents, I think they're good players and aside from this tire fire season going on right now I'm glad they are getting time. It will pay off in the next couple years. But Parker and his guys should have had some people in place ahead of them.

This is actually no different a situation as Fran's point guard fiasco the past couple years.

They had to play the way they did because the two CBs were so over matched there was no way else to do it. Who's there to help out Moss and Brents if you blitz? Especially with Moore and Knox on the field at the same time. Look what happened to Moss and that was with Hooker and Gervase holding his hand the entire game. If Parker blitzed LBs the safeties had to cover the box and it'd have been 10 times worse.

It's not as easy as blitzing because you create a vacuum when you do that. Rushing LBs creates gaps in the box that have to be covered by safeties, which in turn removes them from helping in pass coverage, which leads to man coverage by our CBs who are horribly out-gunned for that style of play. Blitzing has a cascading effect on your defense that has to be covered from top to bottom. It's an 11 man effort and you can't just think of it as sending rushers. Everyone has to be good enough to play the situation and we don't have that.

Jeff Brohm and his DC saw that and exploited it beautifully. Even a casual observer can see it if you watch any of Moss's film. He knew we were going to lay off because we had to, couple that with good WRs vs comparatively bad DBs, and what more could you want?

This game was a perfect one to show the holes in our recruiting. Parker did the only thing he could with the players available. But just like Fran had to adapt game plans around positional shortages at PG to disastrous effect, Parker is seeing the effects of lack of depth. If you have to start two highly mediocre true freshman in the Big Ten because they're your best players at that spot, someone has failed miserably at recruiting. And yes, part of that is on Parker.

Before the town criers start yelling at me about calling out Moss and Brents, I think they're good players and aside from this tire fire season going on right now I'm glad they are getting time. It will pay off in the next couple years. But Parker and his guys should have had some people in place ahead of them.

I think your being fair. It's not Moss and Brents fault that as true freshman they've been thrown in the fire. How is it we don't have anyone above them on the roster more ready to go than they are? We've had a couple injuries here and there but not enough to where we should be down to 2 true freshman both being in there... Unless they are top level talent which doesn't seem to be the case. I doubt anyone is goin to argue that... They've done alright here and there. But against good WRs, QBs and playcallers they can get burned enough for it to matter and that's what happened

What we are seeing in the defense is an imbalance of talent. The Defensive line is so good, and the guys behind them are so inexperienced. The opposing quarterback can get away with quick throws to avoid the rush, after the run game gets stuffed early in the game. This should have been obvious in week one, and one has to wonder how we ever stopped Iowa State's big play wide receiver in week two.