Workouts this week; tryouts?

All of this talk about FM running off someone is silly. However I do expect that if he thinks a kid just will not be able to get into games and compete he will let them know and it will shake out from there.
And quite frankly as a player I would expect the same from him. Why would you want to polish pine for years. Just let me know and I'll make us both happier.

Last edited:
All of this talk about FM running off someone is silly. However I do expect that if he thinks a kid just will not be able to get into games and compete he will let them know and it will shake out from there.

Absolutely. To think otherwise is to not understand college basketball and good coaches.

My initial thoughts several weeks ago was that there would be 2 scholarships open, one being Tucker's.

I would expect Cougill back in Iowa next year, I don't understand why people think he wouldn't make the cut. He was under-utilized last year for his skillset.

I also expect Iowa to bring in a PG with one of the open scholarships.

Stormin - I don't understand why you think Cougill COULD make the cut. Granted he was only a freshman, but I saw an extremely slow player who was constantly lost on defense. I saw a play who could not get rebounds unless they fell into his lap.

Stormin - I don't understand why you think Cougill COULD make the cut. Granted he was only a freshman, but I saw an extremely slow player who was constantly lost on defense. I saw a play who could not get rebounds unless they fell into his lap.

Isn't it strange how 2 people can see the same thing and come to opposite conclusions. For a fr. of his size, he is very polished in many aspects of the game. His upside is almost unlimited. Losing Coug would be a huge loss, no pun intended.

Some of you forget what Cougill looks like when he runs. (not fast)

Cougs doesn't fit, maybe a smaller (weight) Cougs would fit, but not 260 pound Cougs.

This is exactly what I saw as well. His lack of defense is what makes him a liability right now and playing at a faster pace won't help him develop that skill as quickly as it needs to be.

Cougill is not going anywhere unless its on his own completely. There is a small pipeline open to Bishop Heelan (and the SC area)...a program that is a magnet for talent in the tri-state area around Sioux City. It would be a horrible move to jeopardize connections to that area in the first weeks on the job. Just my opinion.

I hope Cougs stays. The guy does have pretty polished skills. Unfortunately at his current weight, he is going to be absolutely abused on the defense. He needs to drop 30-40lbs which is no small task. Unfortunately, he had the back issue which I am sure slowed him down. Because he must have a very slow metabolism to begin with, he will need to make a serious commitment to his nutrition from here on out. If he can lose the weight, I think he can be quick enough to be a very good player for us. If not, he may be riding the pine.

All of my reasons are mentioned previously in this thread - great BB IQ, great hands, great passer, good on the block, can hit the perimeter shot, etc...

Cougs was not put in very good situations last year.

He didn't rebound last year because he was stuck on the perimeter 90% of the time.

I would expect Cougill back in Iowa next year, I don't understand why people think he wouldn't make the cut. He was under-utilized last year for his skillset.

I agree 100%. I was very upset at the way Cougill was used last season. He is a big boy, and he needs to be getting his bread n butter down low instead of spending most of his time floating around outside the 3-pt line.

I agree 100%. I was very upset at the way Cougill was used last season. He is a big boy, and he needs to be getting his bread n butter down low instead of spending most of his time floating around outside the 3-pt line.
He needs to do both, he has the ability to shoot and make the 3. But Lick doesnt adjust so cougil didnt have to adjust. I think Fran will use him in the post when needed and outside when needed.

People who don't think Cougill has a what it takes simply don't know how to evaluate a big man. They wouldn't have liked Les Jepsen, Acie Earl or Brad Lohaus as freshmen either. He has terrific hands, a good build, a high basketball IQ and great ball handling for his size. The only reason he didn't score more inside last year or rebound more is because he was grossly misused exclusively on the perimeter. Hard to rebound or score inside when you are stationed 18 feet away from the basket on offense and defense.

I tend to take Coach at his word when he says, and when our AD says, that they want all of the current players and incoming recruits to stay.

Personally I have a hard time picking out anyone I'd want to see leave at this point. If Coach wants to play more uptempo and press, Archie is the only potential shotblocking threat on the back end--with the possible exception of Brommer, to whom I would have naively been happy to say "buh bye" at midseason, but who has since shown significan tsigns of development. Cougill is a real talent and while he's not a lock to blossom, he's worth some further patience.

So who does that leave that we can afford to lose?

I guess the good news, potentially, is that if we lose a frontcourt player the Besabe kid might fill a slot nicely. I still want to see that PG signing.

I may be playing Pollyanna here but unless Coach gets the impression that someone isn't willing to work or is a bad influence, I don't see anyone getting run off.

No doubt. This post seems strange on the heels of Fran saying he wanted every player to stay. who to believe??

No doubt. This post seems strange on the heels of Fran saying he wanted every player to stay. who to believe??

It was around that same time that he was asked if he had watched any tape on the current players and his response then was that he hadn't.

Perhaps now he has and is going to do what is best for the player and program.

Myself, I like Cougill and will not at all be upset to see him return. However, watching him run I wonder how he fits into a team that wants to play uptempo. He does pass the ball very well and has a better than average shot but his speed is horrendous.

It was around that same time that he was asked if he had watched any tape on the current players and his response then was that he hadn't.

Perhaps now he has and is going to do what is best for the player and program.

I believe the article was Jon's opinion and did not quote Coach. I see no reason why we should think he's changed his mind about anything.

I do agree, however, that if Coach looked at a particular player and felt there was no way the player could contribute, he would tell the kid what to expect and let the kid make his own decision. With the possible exception of Archie (and I say that only because I haven't seen the improvement Lickliter claimed he was making), I don't think that is a likely outcome for any of our current players.

Signed,

The Guys In The Barber Shop Of Hickory, Indiana

I think Archie is gone. I am not sure about Brommer. It seems he has the physical ability, but I don't know if he has the necessary competitive drive. I had this concern from his high school days where he had some games where I would have expected his stats to be much better than they were.

Pretty much agree with everything people say about Cougs, good and bad.

I trust Fran is a good, God fearing man who will set an example for our boys. Tell me, is he a man to man or a zone coach?
Adjustable coach. In the presser he said he would zone when needed, play man when needed, and press when needed.

I trust Fran is a good, God fearing man who will set an example for our boys. Tell me, is he a man to man or a zone coach?

His direct quote was that the team will change defenses. Expect some full court press, zone, and man to man.

I believe the article was Jon's opinion and did not quote Coach. I see no reason why we should think he's changed his mind about anything.

I do agree, however, that if Coach looked at a particular player and felt there was no way the player could contribute, he would tell the kid what to expect and let the kid make his own decision. With the possible exception of Archie (and I say that only because I haven't seen the improvement Lickliter claimed he was making), I don't think that is a likely outcome for any of our current players.

Signed,

The Guys In The Barber Shop Of Hickory, Indiana

I'm curious where everyone is able to evaluate whether Archie has improved or not? If this from people evaluating shoot arounds and such, it doesn't lend to much credibility.

Latest posts