Workouts this week; tryouts?

I'm curious where everyone is able to evaluate whether Archie has improved or not? If this from people evaluating shoot arounds and such, it doesn't lend to much credibility.

No one can evaluate if Archie has improved because no one has seen him play since the prime time leage. 99% of what you see in this thread is a combination of BS, stuff pulled out *****, and guesses (educated or otherwise).

Jon, can you add that best ever comment to his sig, so we can monitor it for the next few years? ;o)

Yeah, that's a great idea and a great attitude: Let's set ourselves up to be able ridicule someone for being too optimistic about a freshman basketball player's potential.

Last edited:
All this talk about Cougs, in my opinion he is fine. He might become an alright Big 10 player, a contributor, ect... But I'm doubtful he ever blossoms into an above-average Big 10 post. He just has certain physical limitations that will limit his impact on a game. To borrow a fantasy baseball term, I see Cougs as no better than a replacement player. Almost any Big 10 post will be able to be as effective as Cougs. For example Seth Gorney developed into an okay player, but he wasn't a Big 10 plus-player and he didn't help us win games, he just took up minutes. I think we could recruit a Freshman right now that that would be as useful as Cougs. I just don't think it is a big deal if he leaves.

We need to start getting some above-average Big 10 players in here, and with limited scholarships available that might mean somebody leaves. It is not good to have 3 scholarships tied up with 3 developmental bigs Cougs, Archie, and Brommer who likely can only play one position.

I wanted to stop reading your post when you mentioned fantasy baseball. I wish I had when you compared Cougs to Seth Gorney. With all due respect to Seth, Cougs is more skilled as a true Freshman than Gorney was as a senior. Seth might have had a better basketball body but thats pretty much it.

Jepsen averaged about 15 points and 10 rebounds a game his senior season. He didn't play much as a freshman or sophomore

I wanted to stop reading your post when you mentioned fantasy baseball. I wish I had when you compared Cougs to Seth Gorney. With all due respect to Seth, Cougs is more skilled as a true Freshman than Gorney was as a senior. Seth might have had a better basketball body but thats pretty much it.

Well for one Gorney could shoot the mid-range every bit as well as Cougill. Gorney was also 7 feet, could move his feet on defense, rebound outside of the immediate area he was standing in, play more than 5 minutes without being exhausted, and worked very well as a screener.

Cougill can shoot threes. He has showed no post game. You can blame it on Lick, the system, or whatever, but I would assume if Cougill currently possessed a Big 10 post game it would have flashed somewhere. He is never going to be able to guard anyone but a true center. He can't block shots, can't hedge on screens. There is a reason nobody recruited him. He is a developmental big with a limited athletic upside.

We need Big 10 players. Yet we have 3 centers on the roster who are likely marginal Big 10 players. We have only have 2 scholarships in the next 2 years to capitalize on any new interest the McCaffery hiring may have generated, and McCaffery is stuck coaching a roster full non-Top 150 recruits he didn't even recruit (thus might not have all the skills he desires in players). If McCaffery doesn't have quick success coaching not-highly rated recruits, recruited for a different system, and coming off the worst season in Iowa history all the new "excitement" will gone and we will back to square one. The program will be branded by fans and recruits with same apathy that tormented the Lick and end of Alford. People are going nuts over Cougill, but if he left and we brought in a quality recruit with skills we need like a dribble-drive guy or athletic post with size, we would be a better team. I'm not advocating running him off either, (as that raises issues beyond athletic talent) its just the love for this guy is a bit over the top.

Hopefully you didn't stop reading my post.

Yeah, that's a great idea and a great attitude: Let's set ourselves up to be able ridicule someone for being too optimistic about a freshman basketball player's potential.
A little touchy there, arent you? Trying to read too much into a simple comment? It was meant as a reference to see if his optimism panned out, not a hope for a player's failure. I guess you didnt read my other comments about Cougill, and his need for conditioning and strength to improve, as I believe with that he can indeed get better(as is the case with most freshmen, they usually improve if they work at it).

Actually, I would hope all the guys would be able to stay,to be good fits, and to have fun playing basketball at the University of IOWA. I often thought that they looked like they were just slogging it through, and it was interesting to hear so many of the former players(like Bobby and Jess) mention that they wanted the kids to have fun. Its too bad the experience wasnt up to par, now lets hope it is, and winning will help.

Well for one Gorney could shoot the mid-range every bit as well as Cougill. Gorney was also 7 feet, could move his feet on defense, rebound outside of the immediate area he was standing in, play more than 5 minutes without being exhausted, and worked very well as a screener.

Cougill can shoot threes. He has showed no post game. You can blame it on Lick, the system, or whatever, but I would assume if Cougill currently possessed a Big 10 post game it would have flashed somewhere. He is never going to be able to guard anyone but a true center. He can't block shots, can't hedge on screens. There is a reason nobody recruited him. He is a developmental big with a limited athletic upside.

We need Big 10 players. Yet we have 3 centers on the roster who are likely marginal Big 10 players. We have only have 2 scholarships in the next 2 years to capitalize on any new interest the McCaffery hiring may have generated, and McCaffery is stuck coaching a roster full non-Top 150 recruits he didn't even recruit (thus might not have all the skills he desires in players). If McCaffery doesn't have quick success coaching not-highly rated recruits, recruited for a different system, and coming off the worst season in Iowa history all the new "excitement" will gone and we will back to square one. The program will be branded by fans and recruits with same apathy that tormented the Lick and end of Alford. People are going nuts over Cougill, but if he left and we brought in a quality recruit with skills we need like a dribble-drive guy or athletic post with size, we would be a better team. I'm not advocating running him off either, (as that raises issues beyond athletic talent) its just the love for this guy is a bit over the top.

+1, this was a great post. The comment about having 3 guys at center who most likely wouldn't see the floor anywhere else is spot on. Again, it is not criticism of a guy to say they shouldn't be in the Big Ten. Unfortunately, this seems to be the reality of the 3 centers on the roster.

Good post. One wonders if the overabundance of 2/3 s on the roster is thinned out, to open up rides.

What I find funny is the propensity for people to compare BC to guys that were 6'10", 6'11", and 7'. Cougs is 4 inches shorter than these guys. The thing that makes him a big is his weight. Otherwise, he would be a slow 3.

I personally don't think cougill will pan out at Iowa. If you watch Coach Fran's big guys from Sienna, they are all tall lengthy and (skinny). Cougs is gonna have to hit the weight room and the treadmill if he wants to see the court at all. Sienna's big boys ran the floor, but coach fran used them up top on some of his presses, he also had the big guy guarding the inbounds pass at times. Well if BC can't get down the floor very fast, then he won't be used when we are pressing (and from what coach fran did at Sienna, he pressed ALOT.)

I hope cougs works out, i think is an okay bball player, he just needs to get in shape and slim down the lbs! If he can run the floor, he could be a good role player on this team.

Who are the 3 Centers on this roster? Cougill is the only center I see.

Brommer, Cole, Fuller and Archie are all forwards

The only one to me that might be a question mark might be Archie and I have never seen him play so I have no idea about his skills other that what I have read. I don't imagine that the coach would want a project at this point but what do I know. Perhaps Archie fits the coaches new style of play better than Lickliters? I suspect Tucker's scholarship is open though. I can't imagine the coach is going to risk another mishap with Tucker but again, what do I know? Maybe Tucker would be great in this type of offense with his shooting? Bottom line is that I have no idea about anything...

The only one to me that might be a question mark might be Archie and I have never seen him play so I have no idea about his skills other that what I have read. I don't imagine that the coach would want a project at this point but what do I know. Perhaps Archie fits the coaches new style of play better than Lickliters? I suspect Tucker's scholarship is open though. I can't imagine the coach is going to risk another mishap with Tucker but again, what do I know? Maybe Tucker would be great in this type of offense with his shooting? Bottom line is that I have no idea about anything...

I saw Archie play in the PTL - not impressed. He didnt do much of anything. In a league where stats are easy to come by (Brommer averaged a double double IIRC) Archie averaged 12 points and 6 rebounds. That was almost a year ago so maybe his game has improved dramatically but there is no way of knowing

Also, if Tucker came back I think it would have to be as a walk on and thats a longshot. He's had his chances and I bet he moves on

I'm tired of the bashing on Cougs saying he can't play on a running team. How many of you have watched or played ball? I'm assuming most. Okay now use your memory and tell me how often you see a big finish or push the ball on a break. If your memory works correctly you should have answered rarely. Bigs don't have to "run fast" on running teams because they start the break with a rebound and sound outlet pass. The little guys handle and finish on breaks because the are 1) faster and perhaps more important 2) already closer to their bucket because they are on the perimeter. Bigs are usually out of position at the beginning of a break so foot speed is a moot point. What is important is that they can make a good decision and sound outlet pass and this is something that it appears we are in agreement with as far as a strong point for Cougs. Now if the break breaks down and they have to set up the offense I have no doubt in my mind that Brennan will be able to make it to the offensive side of the court to participate in the offense within the allotted 35 seconds that the shot clock provides the team. He is not that slow.

Yeah, but the big needs to be able to get under the basket for the rebound in the first place. Bigs on teams that push the ball are not usually leading the break, but they do effectively trail to get rebounds.

I think Fuller is a 50/50 chance right now. If he leaves, I think there will be 3 scholarships open - the other being Brommer or Archie. Remember Archie was a recruit of Lickliter's - a diamond in the rough project from when he was back in Indiana, Fran may not want to wait on him.
Don't expect Fuller to leave...unless Brommer is run off. But if Fuller goes, expect Brommer to go as well. That wouldn't eliminate all wisps of factionalism & dissension; such would involve also changed attitudes by some of the returning players post-Tucker.

Don't anticipate anyone leaving myself: Archie is the most Lickliter-fingerprints guy, but he has used up his potential fifth year; not likely to sit out still another year & then have only one year of eligibility somewhere else--and McCaffrey is not going to begin his chance in a high major program by a clumsy maneuver to open a roster spot for a kid he first recruited at his old school.

Plus the numerous reports that Archie has made much progress this past year, could be a very useful big man the next two years.

All of my reasons are mentioned previously in this thread - great BB IQ, great hands, great passer, good on the block, can hit the perimeter shot, etc...

Cougs was not put in very good situations last year.

He didn't rebound last year because he was stuck on the perimeter 90% of the time.

Agree completely, I think he can become a special player his Junior and Senior years. I love the touch this kids shows both with his shot and passing ability. I can't remember the last center we had that could shoot like that, especially as a true freshman.