Workouts this week; tryouts?

JonDMiller

Publisher/Founder
Iowa is having some basketball workout this week. For a few players, it might as well be called a tryout. Fran will get a look at who fits and who might not fit going forward, and if some guys don't they will be told so diplomatically.

That happens in coaching changes; some guys don't like the change and some guys don't fit in after the change. We'll see if there is any is that over the next few weeks. My guess is Iowa will have one or two rides open up. I don't think they'll look to just fill bodies this spilring unless they find the right guys. I think a Juco PG if they can find the right guy, plus the Siena commit that Coach Francis has been linked to (see the link on the front page) as I think Francis is a done deal for the Iowa staff

Last edited:
Are these workouts taking place at CHA, and open to the public? It would be cool to get a glimpse of what next year will look like.

I have been playing around with what we might have for next year. The unknown is Fuller as it will be his decision because he for sure have the skills to return, I hope he does but am thinking that is a long shot. After workouts I am suspect on if Brommer or Cougill return. I have a suspicion that both could be told that they don’t quite fit the style of play that Coach Fran wants to implement.

I have listed the rosters that I think will be here next season and am speculating on what may happen to the remaining.

2010-2011 roster players
Cole
Gatens
May
Payne
Archie
Marble
Brust
Larson
McCabe

2010-2011 openings and what might happen to the scholarship
Tucker = Juco PG
Brommer = Siena recruit
Cougil = Juco center
Fuller = Bank the scholarship for 2011

My initial thoughts several weeks ago was that there would be 2 scholarships open, one being Tucker's.

I would expect Cougill back in Iowa next year, I don't understand why people think he wouldn't make the cut. He was under-utilized last year for his skillset.

I also expect Iowa to bring in a PG with one of the open scholarships.

My initial thoughts several weeks ago was that there would be 2 scholarships open, one being Tucker's.

I would expect Cougill back in Iowa next year, I don't understand why people think he wouldn't make the cut. He was under-utilized last year for his skillset.

Who on the current roster do you believe won't be back next year?

Who on the current roster do you believe won't be back next year?

I think Fuller is a 50/50 chance right now. If he leaves, I think there will be 3 scholarships open - the other being Brommer or Archie. Remember Archie was a recruit of Lickliter's - a diamond in the rough project from when he was back in Indiana, Fran may not want to wait on him.

Last edited:
I tend to take Coach at his word when he says, and when our AD says, that they want all of the current players and incoming recruits to stay.

Personally I have a hard time picking out anyone I'd want to see leave at this point. If Coach wants to play more uptempo and press, Archie is the only potential shotblocking threat on the back end--with the possible exception of Brommer, to whom I would have naively been happy to say "buh bye" at midseason, but who has since shown significan tsigns of development. Cougill is a real talent and while he's not a lock to blossom, he's worth some further patience.

So who does that leave that we can afford to lose?

I guess the good news, potentially, is that if we lose a frontcourt player the Besabe kid might fill a slot nicely. I still want to see that PG signing.

I may be playing Pollyanna here but unless Coach gets the impression that someone isn't willing to work or is a bad influence, I don't see anyone getting run off.

I tend to take Coach at his word when he says, and when our AD says, that they want all of the current players and incoming recruits to stay.

Personally I have a hard time picking out anyone I'd want to see leave at this point. If Coach wants to play more uptempo and press, Archie is the only potential shotblocking threat on the back end--with the possible exception of Brommer, to whom I would have naively been happy to say "buh bye" at midseason, but who has since shown significan tsigns of development. Cougill is a real talent and while he's not a lock to blossom, he's worth some further patience.

So who does that leave that we can afford to lose?

I guess the good news, potentially, is that if we lose a frontcourt player the Besabe kid might fill a slot nicely. I still want to see that PG signing.

I may be playing Pollyanna here but unless Coach gets the impression that someone isn't willing to work or is a bad influence, I don't see anyone getting run off.

Basabe would be nice, but agree a PG is needed preferably a juco since there is alot of talent in the next few years the hawks could land a class like this years with in state prospects alone.

I'm confused about the hate on Cougil as well. I think the kid is going to be a cornerstone of the offense in his Jr and Sr year. Having a big body is vitally important and you can't teach size. The kid plays smart.

I think Fuller is a 50/50 chance right now. If he leaves, I think there will be 3 scholarships open - the other being Brommer or Archie. Remember Archie was a recruit of Lickliter's - a diamond in the rough project from when he was back in Indiana, Fran may not want to wait on him.

Just a gut feeling on Fuller or any info?

I don't want any players to leave the program that are currently on the roster. We need to have at least one season where depth isn't an issue. After next season a player or two may leave but why force the coach to go out and recruit players this late in the game? Let him get here, get a season under his belt, line up the kids that he wants and find out if the current roster can learn (and play) his style of ball.

I'm confused about the hate on Cougil as well. I think the kid is going to be a cornerstone of the offense in his Jr and Sr year. Having a big body is vitally important and you can't teach size. The kid plays smart.
He just needs to condition is all and i think after being on campus for a year and having a conditioning coach he will be in much better shape next season. I have no hate for him, hes a great shooter, i cant remember the last iowa big to hit a 3 pointer.

Because the dude has gotten BIG during the season. It seemed like one of those rare cases where he actually put on unhealthy weight during the season. Do not get me wrong, I think he is a very skilled player but he will not fit on a team that tries to get up and down at all. I think he could be a heck of a player in the MVC for a team like UNI.

Cougill is basketball smart, has decent footwork, terrific touch on his shot, and is a great passer from the post. He didn't get much of an opportunity to showcase any of those stuck at the top of the key just setting screens and rolling to shoot treys.

Having the basketball skills is 100 times more important than conditioning/weight - you can fix the latter part.

Between Gougs and Brommer, I see Brommer immediately fitting into a more up and down style of play. Seems to me McCaffery's hiring is a chance to revive his (B's) collegiate career.

I like Brennan Cougill. I was impressed with his fitness when November rolled around.
I do think he gained some weight during the season. I wonder if it was related to his back problems and an inability to work out as much.
Now, that said, he has to make yet another commitment, maybe even more serious, this offseason to shedding all the body fat,and gaining muscle. Lauderdale did it for OSU...and he has flourished. If Brennans torso looks like Lauderdales his junior and senior year, he will be very valuable.

Cougill is basketball smart, has decent footwork, terrific touch on his shot, and is a great passer from the post. He didn't get much of an opportunity to showcase any of those stuck at the top of the key just setting screens and rolling to shoot treys.

Having the basketball skills is 100 times more important than conditioning/weight - you can fix the latter part.

I am not going to argue those points because I agree with them. However, some people just aren't Big Ten athletes and this seems to be one of those situations. Now there are worse things than having a 6'9 skilled post as your eleventh guy off the bench, but most players won't like that role after playing as a true freshman.

Now if I had it my way and Iowa was going to lose a player I would choose Archie. He seems to be one of those guys who Fran should say thanks but no thanks to after these little tryout sessions.

Iowa is having some basketball workout this week. For a few players, it might as well be called a tryout. Fran will get a look at who fits and who might not fit going forward, and if some guys don't they will be told so diplomatically.

That happens in coaching changes; some guys don't like the change and some guys don't fit in after the change. We'll see if there is any is that over the next few weeks. My guess is Iowa will have one or two rides open up. I don't think they'll look to just fill bodies this spilring unless they find the right guys. I think a Juco PG if they can find the right guy, plus the Siena commit that Coach Francis has been linked to (see the link on the front page) as I think Francis is a done deal for the Iowa staff

I would be totally surprised if he runs off any players particularly that are from Iowa High schools. He starts doing that and he will create bad feelings and that cannot help in any way. Also I think Fuller stays and Iowa only has the one scholarship (Tuckers) to give.

I would be totally surprised if he runs off any players particularly that are from Iowa High schools. He starts doing that and he will create bad feelings and that cannot help in any way. Also I think Fuller stays and Iowa only has the one scholarship (Tuckers) to give.
Agree i dont think Fran runs off anyone, and i dont think anyone on the current roster leaves.

Because the dude has gotten BIG during the season. It seemed like one of those rare cases where he actually put on unhealthy weight during the season. Do not get me wrong, I think he is a very skilled player but he will not fit on a team that tries to get up and down at all. I think he could be a heck of a player in the MVC for a team like UNI.
BS he has gained no weight. He has had some issues with his back and when you try to make a guy 6'9" 260lbs into a PG things usually don't work real good.

Latest posts