Woods, B. Ferentz vs Isu

This isn't a national discussion. This is ISU vs Iowa. Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I'm pretty sure Iowa will be beat by a whole handful of teams this year that aren't national title contenders.

ISU looks to be every bit as good as Iowa this year. Iowa has a lot of question marks. ISU fans are confident going into that rivalry game. I don't get how that's difficult to comprehend.

There's not much to be confident about. Two QB's that on a good day are average, multiple new starters on the offensive line, one proven receiver, a defensive line that will probably be worse than Iowa's, and a secondary that replaces their two best players in addition to having two CB's that are almost legally midgets. There is not a single position on Iowa State's team that has a sizable advantage over Iowa besides RB. On paper, Iowa State is likely a 4 or 5 win team.

There's not much to be confident about. Two QB's that on a good day are average, multiple new starters on the offensive line, one proven receiver, a defensive line that will probably be worse than Iowa's, and a secondary that replaces their two best players in addition to having two CB's that are almost legally midgets. There is not a single position on Iowa State's team that has a sizable advantage over Iowa besides RB. On paper, Iowa State is likely a 4 or 5 win team.

Iowa isn't far and away better than ISU at any position. you can say QB, but last year one of ISU's two "average at best quarterbacks" beat JVB head to head.

I don't get why Clown fans are acting like they are fielding a national championship team. It took 3 ot's at home and a miracle 4 down conversion at home to beat Iowa last season. For a program that has 3 low tier bowl wins, I don't understand how they are do cocky this season? Also, isu is a dog at home against Tulsa, I don't even know what conference they play in
iowa is one of our easier games when you have a top 3-4 SOS,..... you could never understand this playing in the Patsy10

This isn't a national discussion. This is ISU vs Iowa. Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I'm pretty sure Iowa will be beat by a whole handful of teams this year that aren't national title contenders.

ISU looks to be every bit as good as Iowa this year. Iowa has a lot of question marks. ISU fans are confident going into that rivalry game. I don't get how that's difficult to comprehend.

What's easy to comprehend, is the fact that Iowa can turn question marks into NFL players....consistently. Regardless of what position they came into the program playing.
That being said, your question marks don't worry me as much as they please cyclone mouth-breathers.

for your first part, that's just a KF coached team. Iowa operates that same way in every game (playing it even keeled), whether they're playing ISU or tOSU. And that's just a reflection of KF's conservative style.

as for the bolded part, if you watch ISU more than one game a year you'll see that the excitement after turnovers is not unique to the iowa game what so ever. The team shows a ton of emotion in every game. And Paul Rhoads shows just as much emotion on the sideline during every other game throughout the season as he does Iowa.

I don't think we disagree on anything, Iowa v ISU is just the best example because you can contrast the two styles at the same time. I also don't watch (m)any other ISU games.

QB, TE/WR, and the secondary all have distinctive advantages for Iowa.

ISU barely even uses a TE, so that's a moot point. WR, maybe a slight advantage to iowa. maybe. you have keenan who hasn't lived up to expectations and martin manley who has shown promise, but never had to carry the load with McNutt being the feature wide out last year. Lenz and gary stack up just fine against those two. ISU then has more experienced wideouts behind them (west and horne) just based on the fact that they spread out the field and play more receivers on every down than iowa does.

JVB is a better QB for Iowa's system and has more experience than both of ISU's QB's. BUT, he has no running back and no stand out WR at this point. HE has to be the man and the playmaker in that offense. can he do that? I don't know. I think he will be the difference maker in the game. If he plays great and doesn't make mistakes I could see Iowa doing well. If he struggles, Iowa really doesn't have someone else to step in and carry the load.

Iowa has a better secondary, I'll give you that. But ISU beat that secondary like a drum last year.

ISU barely even uses a TE, so that's a moot point. WR, maybe a slight advantage to iowa. maybe. you have keenan who hasn't lived up to expectations and martin manley who has shown promise, but never had to carry the load with McNutt being the feature wide out last year. Lenz and gary stack up just fine against those two. ISU then has more experienced wideouts behind them (west and horne) just based on the fact that they spread out the field and play more receivers on every down than iowa does.

JVB is a better QB for Iowa's system and has more experience than both of ISU's QB's. BUT, he has no running back and no stand out WR at this point. HE has to be the man and the playmaker in that offense. can he do that? I don't know. I think he will be the difference maker in the game. If he plays great and doesn't make mistakes I could see Iowa doing well. If he struggles, Iowa really doesn't have someone else to step in and carry the load.

Iowa has a better secondary, I'll give you that. But ISU beat that secondary like a drum last year.

I think what he meant was that Iowa's TEs present matchup nightmares for any opponent, including isu.
You don't have anyone on your D who can hang with CJ Fiedorowicz (or however it's spelled). Therein likes the advantage for teh Hawkz.

I think what he meant was that Iowa's TEs present matchup nightmares for any opponent, including isu.
You don't have anyone on your D who can hang with CJ Fiedorowicz (or however it's spelled). Therein likes the advantage for teh Hawkz.

but if ISU is only sending 4 rushers every down because they aren't overly concerned about and Iowa ground game, that leaves 7 guys back to cover two TE's and 1 or 2 WR's. ISU will scheme to defend Iowa's strengths (such as TE) and I think they'll be able to do so effectively.

I don't think we disagree on anything, Iowa v ISU is just the best example because you can contrast the two styles at the same time. I also don't watch (m)any other ISU games.
That is because it's hard to find them on TV. And that is the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth. Iowa has ALWAYS been on TV, ALWAYS! All Iowa fans can agree that the only thing that will shut up the Clown fans is a W, and the best thing to happen would to be going on a 15-20 game win streak so they all go back under the rocks. ON IOWA!

but if ISU is only sending 4 rushers every down because they aren't overly concerned about and Iowa ground game, that leaves 7 guys back to cover two TE's and 1 or 2 WR's. ISU will scheme to defend Iowa's strengths (such as TE) and I think they'll be able to do so effectively.
Rush four and the running game will kick in, Iowa's offesnive line is a strength of this team. You want to double TE down the field and leave 4-5 defenders to stop the run it will be a fun game for Iowa, so just stop trying to be a smart *** and wait till the game is played on the field. And remeber that CJ and company are way bigger than DB and faster than your LB, pick your poison bud.

That is because it's hard to find them on TV. And that is the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth. Iowa has ALWAYS been on TV, ALWAYS! All Iowa fans can agree that the only thing that will shut up the Clown fans is a W, and the best thing to happen would to be going on a 15-20 game win streak so they all go back under the rocks. ON IOWA!

O'doyle rules!

Rhoads does that all game, and Iowa will roll up about 350 yards on the ground. Won't matter what the name on the jersey is; the Iowa O-line will destroy the four guys in the box and it'll be chunks of ground yardage on every play.
Mind you, I don't think Rhoads is stupid enough to scheme like that, but it's fun to discuss in here.

Rush four and the running game will kick in, Iowa's offesnive line is a strength of this team. You want to double TE down the field and leave 4-5 defenders to stop the run it will be a fun game for Iowa, so just stop trying to be a smart *** and wait till the game is played on the field. And remeber that CJ and company are way bigger than DB and faster than your LB, pick your poison bud.

i fail to see how having a reasonable, rational debate over how ISU and Iowa stack up this year makes one a smart ***.

and to your second point:

CJ 40 time: 4.65
Jake knott 40 time: 4.66

Rhoads does that all game, and Iowa will roll up about 350 yards on the ground. Won't matter what the name on the jersey is; the Iowa O-line will destroy the four guys in the box and it'll be chunks of ground yardage on every play.
Mind you, I don't think Rhoads is stupid enough to scheme like that, but it's fun to discuss in here.

my point is that typically Iowa has a big play potential type of back that the defense needs to adjust for. this year Iowa doesn't have that. thus making defensive scheming and match ups easier for ISU than normal coming into this game.

i fail to see how having a reasonable, rational debate over how ISU and Iowa stack up this year makes one a smart ***.

and to your second point:

CJ 40 time: 4.65
Jake knott 40 time: 4.66
Reasonable, rational debate?? We could go back and forth all damn night and day if you want to nit pick every matchup out there. Knott going to match up with CJ on every play? If so then that is a good thing for Iowa's running game, see how I did that??

Latest posts