Woodbury = Withey

We can only hope that Woodury = 1/2 of Withey. About the only comparison at this point that I see is that both are 7ft (or close to it) white kids. Withey seems to have a decent vertical, whereas Woodbury's is somewhere south of 6 inches. Quite honestly, I'm not expecting much out of Woodbury his freshman year. All of the hype is beyond getting old.

I think there is a lot of middle ground between posts like this and saying Woodbury will be averaging 12/8 his freshman year.

As far as the vertical thing goes that is getting old as well. The very rare 7 footer will be able to jump at all. Woodbury's game is predicated on skill and if you have a good hook shot and can pass from the post that more than makes up for not being able to jump. What I think will hold up Woodbury his freshman year is not being to compete for boards and post position due to strength. We will see if he hold his own or not in the big ten. However, I do think that he can play 20 minutes a game and average 7 and 5 and not be a disappointment.

People come away unimpressed because they expect to see Shaquille Oneal or Dwight Howard down there and that he is not. He is talented, and like 98% of freshman big men will not be as big of an impact as the freshman guards. He is going to be a freshman next year and personally I think he will do well, but I don't think 15 and 10 are reasonable expectations for him or any freshman big man. Some may do it, (Anthony davis) but its rare.

As far as the vertical thing goes that is getting old as well. The very rare 7 footer will be able to jump at all. Woodbury's game is predicated on skill and if you have a good hook shot and can pass from the post that more than makes up for not being able to jump.

His lack of vertical is more concerning to me when people predict that he will be a big defensive stopper at the rim like Withey. Unless he can increase his vertical, this will not be a big part of his game, and people should not be expecting that from him.

I don't put much stock in what you see in high school games... especially all star games. The only thing you can see is potential, since you really don't know what you have until they get to campus and spend some time with the staff.

My guess is that if we're battling a team like UNC for a high school player, the chances of him becoming a very good college player is high, but only time will tell.

The announcers said Withey was a volleyball player growing up and it's funny to watch him with that in mind because he really moves laterally sort of like a volleyball player would while protecting the net. I agree that he's not quite the perfect match for Woodbury but if Adam gets that good I'll take it.

I was trying to think of who to compare Woodbury to, and I think Aaron Gray formerly of Pittsburgh is a good comparison. Gray isn't a great athlete in terms of jumping ability but he uses his size well and can score well near the basket with hookshots. Like Gray it might take also Woodbury awhile to get going in college, but if he hits his stride I think he'll be a real game changer for Iowa.

Where the heck do they offer Boys Volleyball as a sport?

His lack of vertical is more concerning to me when people predict that he will be a big defensive stopper at the rim like Withey. Unless he can increase his vertical, this will not be a big part of his game, and people should not be expecting that from him.

Can't remember where I saw it, but didn't Woodbury average ~1 block a game this past season. Vastly different from the ~8 blocks a game Withey had in HS.

So do you think KS, OSU and UNC recruited Woodbury because they had a scholarship to waste? When is the last time we have landed a kid with offers from those schools? If you are comparing him to one and done guys at UK, I guess you have reason to be disappointed.
KU never offered Woodbury, and I don't think Matta did either. UNC did, but his other offers were not blue bloods. Self did not pull the trigger on an offer.

That being said, Woodbury was recruited strongly by a lot of schools. His offense is pretty far along for his postion, and some added muscle will be the only thing he really needs to compete at the next level. he may do more his freshman year than most big men, adn he may have a sliughtly lower ceiling than some bigs who have better natural athleticism. But you can do alot with a big body and skill that doesn;t require great lift. Both OSU big men(Thomas and Sullinger) are pretty ground bound, but they both know how to play.

Last edited:
KU never offered Woodbury, and I don't think Matta did either. UNC did, but his other offers were not blue bloods. Self did not pull the trigger on an offer.

That being said, Woodbury was recruited strongly by a lot of schools. His offense is pretty far along for his postion, and some added muscle will be the only thing he really needs to compete at the next level. he may do more his freshman year than most big men, adn he may have a sliughtly lower ceiling than some bigs who have better natural athleticism. But you can do alot with a big body and skill that doesn;t require great lift. Both OSU big men(Thomas and Sullinger) are pretty ground bound, but they both know how to play.

Kansas did not offer. OSU and UNC both offered him though. Ole Roy Boy even had an in-home visit with Woodbury a couple nights before he picked Iowa.

We can only hope that Woodury = 1/2 of Withey. About the only comparison at this point that I see is that both are 7ft (or close to it) white kids. Withey seems to have a decent vertical, whereas Woodbury's is somewhere south of 6 inches. Quite honestly, I'm not expecting much out of Woodbury his freshman year. All of the hype is beyond getting old.

Withey is not much of an offensive player. Dosen't has poor footwork and no real post moves.

We can hope Woody is half the player Withey is on defense, he'll be much better on offense.

Agreed, but you don't have to be a shotblocker to be a good defensive player.

He won't be a guy who flys in from the help side and blocks shots, but White, Basabe, and some day hopefully Olaseni can do that. He will be able to put a body on other bigs that were scoring at will on Iowa this year.

I agree that he probably won't be a great shot blocker and his game will be about positioning and using his size effectively on the defensive end. That is what i feel will hold him up freshman year.

I dont see him starting right away. Maybe not at all his 1st year. Still a good player and glad to have him on our side.

Where the heck do they offer Boys Volleyball as a sport?

They mentioned it was beach volleyball. Withey is from San Diego, so it's probably a bit more popular there.

I remember seeing men's college volleyball on ESPN2 -- I believe Stanford was playing someone else nationally ranked. Those guys are pretty similar to Withey actually -- really tall and very athletic.

He just needs to keep himself between his man and the basket and stand straight up and he'll be plenty annoying on the defensive end. Let Basabe and White come over and clean up with blocks.

Latest posts