Woodbury = Withey

The announcers said Withey was a volleyball player growing up and it's funny to watch him with that in mind because he really moves laterally sort of like a volleyball player would while protecting the net. I agree that he's not quite the perfect match for Woodbury but if Adam gets that good I'll take it.

I was trying to think of who to compare Woodbury to, and I think Aaron Gray formerly of Pittsburgh is a good comparison. Gray isn't a great athlete in terms of jumping ability but he uses his size well and can score well near the basket with hookshots. Like Gray it might take also Woodbury awhile to get going in college, but if he hits his stride I think he'll be a real game changer for Iowa.

One thing about Withey, he was a born shot blocker because his hands are terrified of the ball. Get it out as quick as possible...hands of stone does not even begin to explain him.

Wow, I bet he was hard to box out.

Not specifically designed for invisibility but might help find him.

x-ray-specs

(FAIL)

Last edited:
Withey is more of an athletic defensive stopper, as opposed to what I know about Woodbury, who is less athletic but with much stronger ball skills.

I don't think the comparison is apt, unless you think they look alike...

Withey is more like Ken Johnson from Ohio State way back when. Woodbury is more like a less polished Joel Pryzbilla.

Joel Pryzbilla was very athletic and averaged nearly 4 blocks a game, I would put that in line with a defensive stopper. Woodbury will not bring the same game defensively as him. In terms of athletic ability I would say Woodbury is more in line with Withey than Przybilla. I would consider Przybilla and Woodbury similar in regards to their post passing, post scoring, and free throw shooting(both awful). However, Przybilla was a lottery pick after his sophomore year because he was tall and incredibly athletic.

Withey is more of an athletic defensive stopper, as opposed to what I know about Woodbury, who is less athletic but with much stronger ball skills.

I don't think the comparison is apt, unless you think they look alike...

Withey is more like Ken Johnson from Ohio State way back when. Woodbury is more like a less polished Joel Pryzbilla.

Agreed, other than the Pryzbilla comp. Woodury and Withey look allot alike, but thats about as far as it goes.

Each one lacks what the other one has.

Withey is an excellent defensive player, and a very good leaper for a 7fter.

Adam is a polished offensive player. He has a jump hook that is money, and excellent touch around the basket.

Both can run the floor very well for 7 footers though, Adam might actually be a little bit faster.

If you could combine the two you would have top 3 pick in the draft.

Last edited:
I still think people are underestimating Woodbury.

The guy is not very explosive at all and yet still outplays most of the other highly rate big men recruits.

Given his lack of athletic ability that means a ton. It means his effectiveness comes from a different place than your average highly ranked big man.

Woodbury is skilled and he understands how to play right now, allot of highly ranked big men take time because they have size and athletic ability but don't have any real skill to speak of and often don't really understand the game let alone the nuances of playing the post. They rebound and dunk.

That jump hook he made in that allstar game reminded me of something you would see Pau Gasol do. You rarely see any big men with that sort of shot in their arsenal anymore, let alone a highschooler.

Last edited:
I get nervous because every time any one says anything about seeing Adam play live, they always come away unimpressed. I am hoping that has more to do with high expectations that are tough to meet than anything.

That said, I really don't expect much from him aside from just being really tall and that, in itself, could help the team a bunch next year.

I get nervous because every time any one says anything about seeing Adam play live, they always come away unimpressed. I am hoping that has more to do with high expectations that are tough to meet than anything.

That said, I really don't expect much from him aside from just being really tall and that, in itself, could help the team a bunch next year.

I actually came away quite impressed at least with his second half.

No one but Gesell was making any attempt to feed the post.

I would compare it to watching Tim Duncan in an allstar game.

I get nervous because every time any one says anything about seeing Adam play live, they always come away unimpressed. I am hoping that has more to do with high expectations that are tough to meet than anything.That said, I really don't expect much from him aside from just being really tall and that, in itself, could help the team a bunch next year.

This may have more to do with flash than effectiveness.

Not sure why anybody would be down on Woodbury after the all star game. As others have stated, not much bigs can do when shots get jacked up and there is a fast break to the other end on 50% of the possessions. Literally I think Woodbury got 3-4 post touches and scored or got fouled on all but one if memory serves. He dove on the floor for loose balls, recognized double teams, made good outlet passes and was quick with his post moves. I did think he was a bit soft on the boards a couple of times and his free throw shooting is sketchy, but overall I was impressed. Even if his shots aren't falling, he will be able to do other things to help the team. Getting stronger and free throw shooting are critical for the upcoming season IMO.

We can only hope that Woodury = 1/2 of Withey. About the only comparison at this point that I see is that both are 7ft (or close to it) white kids. Withey seems to have a decent vertical, whereas Woodbury's is somewhere south of 6 inches. Quite honestly, I'm not expecting much out of Woodbury his freshman year. All of the hype is beyond getting old.

So do you think KS, OSU and UNC recruited Woodbury because they had a scholarship to waste? When is the last time we have landed a kid with offers from those schools? If you are comparing him to one and done guys at UK, I guess you have reason to be disappointed.

I hope Woodbury is shooting 1000 free throws per day and the coaching staff corrects his form ASAP. The way he plays he is going to get fouled a lot and we need him hitting those free throws.

I hope Woodbury is shooting 1000 free throws per day and the coaching staff corrects his form ASAP. The way he plays he is going to get fouled a lot and we need him hitting those free throws.

Otherwise opposing coaches will utilize the 'Beat-A-Woody' strategy in crunch time.

Latest posts