Woah... Weiskamp

I didn't mean Freshman contributing right away, I meant that for every 10 kids that are hyped up by fanbases coming in, maybe 2 or 3 end up being significant to the program. I'm not taking shots at Garza, I'm sure he'll improve, but when you listened to HN a few months ago all you heard was about how the kid was going to come into the program and be the next big thing right away.

This is especially true at schools like Iowa who don't get the best recruits to start with.

Don’t worry about justifying your comments everything you just said is true. When I watched the video I thought to myself if you try that in the B1G your going to get that ball shoved back down your throat. Just to verify what your saying about some high rated recruits Fryowa two words for you “Glen Worley”. At the time he was the highest recruited player to commit to Iowa and he ended up average at best.

Now I am not knocking this kid before he gets here as it sounds like from his reputation that he is a great shooter. You do all realize that he will play hell trying to top Bo’s freshmen year. Now, just think about that and how Bo has struggled this year.

To be fair to Bo he is getting wore out playing that man to man defense plus he has been targeted defensively. I expect Bo’s Junior year to be much better because Joe will be drawing some of the attention away from Bo and thus Bo will get a lot more open shots. Bo’s best friend last year was Jok whom the opponents were double teaming thus giving Bo a lot of open shots. Next year Joe will be Bo’s best friend. For right now the best thing Fran can do for Bo and the team is focus on ZONE defense so Bo doesn’t get worn out. Go man to man for a quick change up or to go into traps or presses.

This defensive rebounding thing on the zone defense is ridiculous. People are making it harder than what it really is. When the opposing team goes up for a shot run out to the opposing players and put a hip into them and follow them with your hip and gradually push them away from the the basketball hoop with your hip while your moving. It’s very difficult for the officials to catch it and if anything it will look like they are going over your back to get the rebound. More times than not they get called for the foul and it really pisses them off especially if they are taller than you.

I still have hope for Moss. Right now what he is struggling with is what is referred to as not playing within himself. He trying to do much causing him to get out of control. The kid has talent and once he learns to keep his foot speed centered with his body mass he will find himself under much better control. This will also help his defense also. This has been a common problem with several players under Fran. It took Woody until his senior year to learn this technique and when he did his defensive positioning greatly improved and the amount of fouling decreased.

Last edited:
Ok, great, he can score but the question is can he keep the other guy from scoring?

How does he look at the point? :)

Refs are people; they make mistakes.

Do you mean they don't know the rule or they don't see it happen? Not knowing the rule isn't a mistake and I have a really hard time believing they still don't know a rule like that. Not seeing it happen is equally impossible.

NFHS rulebook, rule 4, section 44, Article 3-c:

"The pivot foot may not be lifted before the ball is released, to start a dribble."

In other words, you can't jump and then dribble. Weiskamp traveled.
Which foot was his pivot foot?

Do you mean they don't know the rule or they don't see it happen? Not knowing the rule isn't a mistake and I have a really hard time believing they still don't know a rule like that. Not seeing it happen is equally impossible.

In this particular case, I don't have insight into the question of if they don't know the rule or if they simply didn't see the travel. If I had to guess, I would say that with a 2-man crew, the baseline ref either wasn't looking at the ball or didn't think he had jurisdiction to make the call and that the top ref simply didn't see it because he was shielded in some way. It's important to remember that the ref has a significantly different angle than the video provides.

Last edited:
Which foot was his pivot foot?

Because he hadn't yet established a pivot foot, they essentially are both a potential pivot foot until he chooses, so if they both leave the floor, he can't dribble.

Edit:

From the NFHS basketball casebook.

"4.44.3 SITUATION B: A1 receives the ball with both feet off the floor and he/she lands simultaneously on both feet without establishing a pivot foot. A1 then jumps off both feet in an attempt to try for goal, but realizing the shot may be blocked, A1 drops the ball to the floor and dribbles. RULING: A1 has traveled as one foot must be considered to be the pivot and must be on the floor when the ball is released to start a dribble. The fact that no pivot foot had been established does not alter this ruling."

Don’t worry about justifying your comments everything you just said is true. When I watched the video I thought to myself if you try that in the B1G your going to get that ball shoved back down your throat. Just to verify what your saying about some high rated recruits Fryowa two words for you “Glen Worley”. At the time he was the highest recruited player to commit to Iowa and he ended up average at best.

Now I am not knocking this kid before he gets here as it sounds like from his reputation that he is a great shooter. You do all realize that he will play hell trying to top Bo’s freshmen year. Now, just think about that and how Bo has struggled this year.

To be fair to Bo he is getting wore out playing that man to man defense plus he has been targeted defensively. I expect Bo’s Junior year to be much better because Joe will be drawing some of the attention away from Bo and thus Bo will get a lot more open shots. Bo’s best friend last year was Jok whom the opponents were double teaming thus giving Bo a lot of open shots. Next year Joe will be Bo’s best friend. For right now the best thing Fran can do for Bo and the team is focus on ZONE defense so Bo doesn’t get worn out. Go man to man for a quick change up or to go into traps or presses.

This defensive rebounding thing on the zone defense is ridiculous. People are making it harder than what it really is. When the opposing team goes up for a shot run out to the opposing players and put a hip into them and follow them with your hip and gradually push them away from the the basketball hoop with your hip while your moving. It’s very difficult for the officials to catch it and if anything it will look like they are going over your back to get the rebound. More times than not they get called for the foul and it really pisses them off especially if they are taller than you.

I still have hope for Moss. Right now what he is struggling with is what is referred to as not playing within himself. He trying to do much causing him to get out of control. The kid has talent and once he learns to keep his foot speed centered with his body mass he will find himself under much better control. This will also help his defense also. This has been a common problem with several players under Fran. It took Woody until his senior year to learn this technique and when he did his defensive positioning greatly improved and the amount of fouling decreased.
Average might be being nice to him... Wasn't his freshman year his best year at Iowa too? It seemed like he had pretty good year for a true freshman and then just never got better at all. Couldn't play D without fouling and wasn't able to jump over a phone book. Dominated HS but wasn't athletic enough for being a stud D1 player. He was ok and had a few good games here and there. But by no means did he live up to any 4 star hype he had.

In this particular case, I don't have insight into the question of if they don't know the rule or if they simply didn't see the travel. If I had to guess, I would say that with a 2-man crew, the baseline ref either wasn't looking at the ball or didn't think he had jurisdiction to make the call and that the top ref simply didn't see it because he was shielded in some way. It's important to remember that the ref has a significantly different angle than the video provides.

I'm not talking that one play. I'm talking in general. It happens all the time. Hell half of the time the ref shakes his head no when he doesn't call it.

HS Varsity game should have 3 officials which appears they do as the Lead official is on table side with the trail. I never do see the center official in the video though.

Most officials use a 60/40 rule in terms of coverage on the top of the key so this should be in trail's primary coverage area and he appears to be watching the ball but incorrectly misses the traveling violation.

So this clip shows he can travel and dunk over some small town white kids...
clearly he'll be drafted after his freshman year.

Travis Hines who writes for the Ames Trib and Iowa Preps has raved about Weiskamp for years. The kid is the real deal. At the very least he can shoot it extremely well at 6'9" so he'll play a lot next year.

Travis Hines who writes for the Ames Trib and Iowa Preps has raved about Weiskamp for years. The kid is the real deal. At the very least he can shoot it extremely well at 6'9" so he'll play a lot next year.
Yeah, he'll probably be 7'1" by the time he gets on campus.

Because he hadn't yet established a pivot foot, they essentially are both a potential pivot foot until he chooses, so if they both leave the floor, he can't dribble.

Edit:

From the NFHS basketball casebook.

"4.44.3 SITUATION B: A1 receives the ball with both feet off the floor and he/she lands simultaneously on both feet without establishing a pivot foot. A1 then jumps off both feet in an attempt to try for goal, but realizing the shot may be blocked, A1 drops the ball to the floor and dribbles. RULING: A1 has traveled as one foot must be considered to be the pivot and must be on the floor when the ball is released to start a dribble. The fact that no pivot foot had been established does not alter this ruling."
There you go. That makes more sense.
Refs missed it.

I missed it.

But heck, the Euro dribble-step looks like traveling to me every time and if I were a ref I’d call it every time until I got demoted to 7th grade girls basketball.

Last edited by a moderator:
So does that mean every time you jump with the ball, then start dribbling, it's a travel? That is something that should never be missed.

Latest posts