Woah... Weiskamp

I didn't mean Freshman contributing right away, I meant that for every 10 kids that are hyped up by fanbases coming in, maybe 2 or 3 end up being significant to the program. I'm not taking shots at Garza, I'm sure he'll improve, but when you listened to HN a few months ago all you heard was about how the kid was going to come into the program and be the next big thing right away.

This is especially true at schools like Iowa who don't get the best recruits to start with.

I think you heard "right away" in your own head. You're also exaggerating the really good part.

Gotcha. I do think a top 50 kid needs to be looked at in a different light. For example Cook was a top 80 kid or so, and he made an impact right away. I think Joe will as well. I'm not saying he is gonna be the difference maker to make us great, because I don't think that. I just don't think you should compare him to someone like Garza, he is just way more highly ranked than him.

Not only that, but he competed against the best in his class and earned an even higher ranking than the one he dropped to for commuting to Iowa so early. He might very well be a top 25 kid talent wise.

I think you heard "right away" in your own head. You're also exaggerating the really good part.
We disagree. I remember reading all kinds of posts about Garza coming on the team and being a major player right away. People here were foaming at the mouth about him after seeing him in Europe and the PTL. Well, that's not Division 1 basketball by a long shot.

Even the twitter video above...Weiskamp is playing a bunch of kids who are way, way below his talent level. Most (if not all) of whom won't play D-1 basketball. Of course he's going to look like LeBron. I'm not saying he's not good, but I think it's a little early to start thinking he's going to be an elite college player until people see him play matched talent.

We disagree. I remember reading all kinds of posts about Garza coming on the team and being a major player right away. People here were foaming at the mouth about him after seeing him in Europe and the PTL. Well, that's not Division 1 basketball by a long shot.

Even the twitter video above...Weiskamp is playing a bunch of kids who are way, way below his talent level. Most (if not all) of whom won't play D-1 basketball. Of course he's going to look like LeBron. I'm not saying he's not good, but I think it's a little early to start thinking he's going to be an elite college player until people see him play matched talent.

Which is what happened in that camp he was voted an All Star of. And we do disagree on what was said about Garza. I don't think I read a single post that said he would dominate from day 1. Maybe from 5656 just So he could set up his next troll, but I don't count that.

I'm as down as anyone on Hawk BB right now, but this isn't really fair. Fran has had 4 1st team all B1G players, Joe certainly has the potential to be another one of those.

Lack of a Point Guard to get him the ball in favorable positions to score will be the only thing that limits him

Nunge and Garza are both players that will be much better as juniors...IMHO...

Talented PGs and other guards and small forwards who have the quicks to create their own shots...often have "it" right out of the box...

Does Iowa have the staff to help Nunge, Garza and others develop...we need to get beyond Helter Skelter player development and game coaching to be better...

Whether Fran can do this...or whether a move needs to be made with his staff is a question for debate.

You can't manufacture a PG mid-season...

Am I the only one who thinks player development is more up to the individual players? You develop individual skills in the gym on your own.

A really good 2 guard next to Bohannon will help almost as much, if not just as much, as a really good point guard next to Moss or Bohannon. Hopefully that's what we have with Wiescamp.

Wiescamp looks like a small forward to me...

Perhaps Fran's son, when healthy, will be able to play PG this year...it is a desperate need...

When you jump in the air with the basketball you have two options; 1) Shoot 2) Pass - dribbling is a travel.
I know that's the rule in college (rule you posted), but honestly have no idea what it is in high school. I know college refs have let that go multiple times in the past, however.

I know that's the rule in college (rule you posted), but honestly have no idea what it is in high school. I know college refs have let that go multiple times in the past, however.

It's the same rule. The only level that wouldn't be a travel in is the NBA, because there is no traveling in the NBA.

Weiscamp will never reach full potential if Fran continues to think we don't need a true PG who can break down a D and set other guys up. I'd seriously consider looking elsewhere if I was Joe. No PG coming in next year will ensure more of the same garbage PG play we've seen for 8yrs now.

Only if it's called. :)

After Joe faked a shot the defender jumped into him

Obviously a foul on the defense

Contact with Weiscamp more than Obviously knocked the ball out of his hands

He recovered nicely and took it to the hole

There is simply no other way to look at it.....

7008934.jpg

:cool:

Latest posts