With Moss transferring....

I remember watching Fran's Sienna team upset tOSU in the NCAA's, whatever year that was. I remember seeing him screaming at his players during a time out-something we can relate to. I remember that most if not all the Sienna players were black.

Fran has just whiffed on recruiting black players and has gotten fall back white players instead. J Bo was a fallback, Kriener probably as well. He's not supposed to have his two sons play here? Garza and Wieskamp were four star players and Nunge was well-regarded.

Dailey wasn't good enough to be a P-6 player and he transferred. He stays and you wonder if we're not even having this conversation.

These kind of arguments (about race) always remind me of the same kind of arguments that faced the Boston Celtics in the '80s when they had Larry Bird, Kevin McHale, Rick Robey, Danny Ainge, Greg Kite, etc. A lot of arguing about being a racist team, racist coach, etc. The thing is, the Boston Celtics were also the very first team in the history of the NBA to start 5 African-American players. They were never racist; the guys they played could have played on pretty much any team in the NBA.

This discussion should NOT be about race.

Nepotism? Fair game imo.

AND Fran's behavior. He might be a great guy off the court, I don't have a clue, but unfortunately what EVERYONE witnesses are his rages against officials, assistants, his players etc etc. Gotta think this hurts recruiting and possibly retaining players. He is not a good enough recruiter to begin with. Nor a good enough bench coach to lose focus from all of his raging.

I wonder how many of General Knight's players might have grad transferred? Especially when they weren't contending for national titles.

Coaching your sons at this level is a difficult thing to pull off. It is expected that there will be resentment by a number of fans and resentment by some of the players. Don't kid yourself. And often times I dare say that resentment is valid.

There were times last season that Connor was in the game at crunch time in the closing minutes, and even seconds, while Moss sat on the bench. I have no idea if this played into his decision to transfer but he might be thinking ahead to another McCaffery coming in. One that actually plays his position. I would be.

One summer when working the Wartburg basketball camp, the Tripoli coach Dave Ray told me "If you have your son play for you, you better hope he's really good or really bad because anything in between you will be criticized for playing him." So I asked "So what position does you son play?" He replied "He wrestles."

These kind of arguments (about race) always remind me of the same kind of arguments that faced the Boston Celtics in the '80s when they had Larry Bird, Kevin McHale, Rick Robey, Danny Ainge, Greg Kite, etc. A lot of arguing about being a racist team, racist coach, etc. The thing is, the Boston Celtics were also the very first team in the history of the NBA to start 5 African-American players. They were never racist; the guys they played could have played on pretty much any team in the NBA.
The Iowa women had nine white players to four black players. The coaching staff has seven whites and one black (photos of the staff and roster that were listed) Bluder's teams have almost always seemed to be mostly white players over the years.

If this topic we are talking about was on a national level, the Iowa b-ball programs would be labeled as racist by a lot of angry people out there.

Are you that stupid or just acting like it? As the only black player on a lilly white team with a largely white staff in a mostly white university town, Toussaint is going to stick out like a sore thumb and likely feel like he doesn’t fit in.

Fran has had a hard time encouraging diversity in his program.

Maybe white people shouldn't be allowed to play basketball. See problem solved.

Yep. Time to start having that conversation. This roster is whiter than any of the rosters that we fired the last guy for.

Would a team of Asians and Hispanics meet your preference?

P.S. I never knew that we fired Lickliter because all he could recruit were white kids.

As an Iowa grad and long-time Hawkeye fan, I’m embarrassed by the lack of diversity on Fran’s basketball teams.

Your not asking for diversity. Your asking for the continued and focused exploitation of young black males for their athletic prowess. I know that you feel woke, but your whole mindset is deeply racist.

I was just trying to fit into the stupid of the thread is all.
Man, if this is stupid to you, why come onto a thread in which you think is stupid and make a comment that you just stated was stupid making you stupid, stupid. Go be stupid somewhere else.

This discussion should NOT be about race.

Nepotism? Fair game imo.

AND Fran's behavior. He might be a great guy off the court, I don't have a clue, but unfortunately what EVERYONE witnesses are his rages against officials, assistants, his players etc etc. Gotta think this hurts recruiting and possibly retaining players. He is not a good enough recruiter to begin with. Nor a good enough bench coach to lose focus from all of his raging.

I wonder how many of General Knight's players might have grad transferred? Especially when they weren't contending for national titles.

Racism not to be discussed....why? Uncomfortable. Guarantee you black recruits notice.

Sure. Discuss racism all you want.

I just don't believe Moss's transfer is related to race.

You might be right. Also may not be the biggest reason but it could easily be in the equation.

People tend to look at the obvious stuff. The subtle stuff is damaging too. Iowa the state gets a lot of that due to lack of experience. Most of the blacks in the state are heavily concentrated in a few areas or a very low number in a overwhelmingly white area. The subtleness done subconsciously can be quietly quite loud. As for Fran who knows but the players leaving have been skewed as well as the players not developing....working out. It is olk to discuss uncomfortable topics.

Iowa was recruiting a black player who has white mom. The dad who played BB in the SEC and the mom at the same school was a VB player.

Iowa would send the black asst. Never did see Fran. Interestingly Big player now in the NBA and plays was in the same conference. For several years there were a number of Big coaches at games and I never saw the Iowa asst attempt to talk to the now NBA player.

Your not asking for diversity. Your asking for the continued and focused exploitation of young black males for their athletic prowess. I know that you feel woke, but your whole mindset is deeply racist.

You don't think that someone in JT's inner circle well make a comment like: "Damn, they don't have any bruthas on the team." Hopefully, it doesn't matter, but someone is going to plant that seed in his head.

Last edited:
You might be right. Also may not be the biggest reason but it could easily be in the equation.

People tend to look at the obvious stuff. The subtle stuff is damaging too. Iowa the state gets a lot of that due to lack of experience. Most of the blacks in the state are heavily concentrated in a few areas or a very low number in a overwhelmingly white area. The subtleness done subconsciously can be quietly quite loud. As for Fran who knows but the players leaving have been skewed as well as the players not developing....working out. It is olk to discuss uncomfortable topics.

Iowa was recruiting a black player who has white mom. The dad who played BB in the SEC and the mom at the same school was a VB player.

Iowa would send the black asst. Never did see Fran. Interestingly Big player now in the NBA and plays was in the same conference. For several years there were a number of Big coaches at games and I never saw the Iowa asst attempt to talk to the now NBA player.

Iowa's self imposed charter clause is most likely inherently biased against lower socially economical classes. This probably has its largest effect on inner city youth. I think it's safe statistically to say this disproportionately effects minorities especially young black males.

Fran may or may not treat black students differently. Either way if one wants to find the root of a lack of diversity at universities in general one needs look no further than the system of admission standards. Designed originally to create exclusivity. Exclusivity is slowly becoming the social enemy.