With Moss transferring....

They'll make it an issue because of people like some of the dipshits on this site. Do you really think any of the players left because of race? If they did, they're idiots, but I don't believe that for a minute because they're not racists. Some of you people that think you're so "woke" are racist without even knowing it.

Jeez, this is dumb as shit. Look around college basketball, schools lose ON AVERAGE 2 players a year. With 350 D1 Schools, there are over 700 transfer a year. This is just college basketball in this day and age.
You getting this angry and personal is dumb as shit. Me saying this could be a possible recruiting thump, is not “dumb as shit” got take that bs somewhere else.

Yep. Time to start having that conversation. This roster is whiter than any of the rosters that we fired the last guy for.
Lickliter was not fired for not having enough diversity on the roster.

He was fired because he didn't win enough games.

I've seen it work both ways. Lutes 1980 final four team had four African Americans out of fifteen scholarship players.

Tom Davis 1991 team had seven African Americans in the nine man rotation. They advanced to the second round.

His 1999 sweet sixteen team had four African Americans and ten Caucasians, plus one mixed race (Oliver).

Lick's 2008 and 2009 teams were loaded with African Americans. Didn't get near postseason play.

Bottom line, I'll take players who can play. Period.

A bigger concern could be our recruiting competition spinning this into a big deal. Sometimes perception can be reality. If it can happen in the world of sales deals it can certainly happen in recruiting.

The Iowa community has always been a vast majority of whites. I'm not sure what changed by Moss moving on as far as community demographics go.

As far as the team goes, do you ever see this discussed in the opposite manner? IE, when there are 2 white players on a otherwise all black roster? That is what I was pointing out, and yeah if it would be dumb for a white kid to say he doesn't want to play at a school with only 1 or two other whites on it.

1 white kid on a predominantly black team on a predominately black campus....ummmm.

I've seen it work both ways. Lutes 1980 final four team had four African Americans out of fifteen scholarship players.

Tom Davis 1991 team had seven African Americans in the nine man rotation. They advanced to the second round.

His 1999 sweet sixteen team had four African Americans and ten Caucasians, plus one mixed race (Oliver).

Lick's 2008 and 2009 teams were loaded with African Americans. Didn't get near postseason play.

A bigger concern could be our recruiting competition spinning this into a big deal. Sometimes perception can be reality. If it can happen in the world of sales deals it can certainly happen in recruiting.

Or there could be another reason.

They'll make it an issue because of people like some of the dipshits on this site. Do you really think any of the players left because of race? If they did, they're idiots, but I don't believe that for a minute because they're not racists. Some of you people that think you're so "woke" are racist without even knowing it.
I ain’t “woke.” I ain’t racist.

I want Iowa basketball to compete night in and night out, and challenge for titles. Their chances of doing that are diminished by a roster of mostly slow, non athletic white kids, IMHO.

And yet I suspect last year’s record is just fine for most Iowans and most people on this site.

In the 2020 recruiting class only 5 of Iowa’s 29 offers are to caucasian players.

The 2016-2017 Iowa basketball team had 9 of the 14 players who were not Caucasian (Jok, Cook, Pemsl, Moss, Wagner, Uhl, Williams, Dailey, Jones). Two assistant coaches and the video coordinator were also African American.

I don’t know why I’m going down this wormhole with these insufferable people claiming they are fighting the good fight.

As a fan I want Iowa to put the best basketball team it can on the floor, regardless of what the players look like.
Does the new offer to Bradford portend bad things about Foster?

I don't recall Lick's teams ever being loaded with AA's. I remember slow, unathletic, woefully undertalented squads.

I don't recall Lick's teams ever being loaded with AA's. I remember slow, unathletic, woefully undertalented squads.
His second, and best team had Jarryd Cole, Cyrus Tate, David Porter, Jeff Peterson, Jermain Davis, and Aaron Fuller.

Don't remember if Kurt Looby was senior on that team of if he graduated the year before.

His third team, after the graduation losses, transfers, and off the court issues (Anthony Tucker), didn't belong in the B1G. They must have got a lucky schedule draw to avoid the conference basement that year, which Penn State occupied. That year left the most lasting impression of Lick, and is probably the one you remember the most.

Coaching your sons at this level is a difficult thing to pull off. It is expected that there will be resentment by a number of fans and resentment by some of the players. Don't kid yourself. And often times I dare say that resentment is valid.

There were times last season that Connor was in the game at crunch time in the closing minutes, and even seconds, while Moss sat on the bench. I have no idea if this played into his decision to transfer but he might be thinking ahead to another McCaffery coming in. One that actually plays his position. I would be.

Last edited:
Coaching your sons at this level is a difficult thing to pull off. It is expected that there will be resentment by a number of fans and resentment by some of the players. Don't kid yourself. And often times I dare say that resentment is valid.

There were times last season that Connor was in the game at crunch time in the closing minutes, and even seconds, while Moss sat on the bench. I have no idea if this played into his decision to transfer but he might be thinking ahead to another McCaffery coming in. One that actually plays his position. I would be.
In all fairness, Moss's T/O tendencies made it impossible for Fran to play him in tight games. Moss did have his moments later in the season but early Fran had no choice, Moss was very weak with the ball at times.

I want Iowa basketball to compete night in and night out, and challenge for titles. Their chances of doing that are diminished by a roster of mostly slow, non athletic white kids, IMHO.

And yet I suspect last year’s record is just fine for most Iowans and most people on this site.

I agree with you. I'm not satisfied with our record last year, but I also don't think it was a disaster. If a black kid is better than a white kid, I want him on our team. I wouldn't care if every player was black... Why should I care if every player is white? I'm just sick of hearing shit like "lack of diversity" like it's some kind of racist plot.

I agree with you. I'm not satisfied with our record last year, but I also don't think it was a disaster. If a black kid is better than a white kid, I want him on our team. I wouldn't care if every player was black... Why should I care if every player is white? I'm just sick of hearing shit like "lack of diversity" like it's some kind of racist plot.

This whole black and white crap by the poster here just blows my mind. Fran has decided to recruit the state of Iowa, and when you do that you are gonna have several white players. Jordan, Kriener, Connor, Patrick, Joe. Welp, guess what Iowa is 95% white, so the majority of in state players will be white. Should we have passed on those 5 in state kids because they were white? At the same time it aint like Fran doesn't recruit the black Iowa BB players. Jok, Pemsl, missed out on DJ and is pursuing Foster.

Nunge had a connection to Iowa City and CJ's family had a connection to Fran. I mean honestly the only white scholarship player we have that aren't from Iowa, didn't have a connection to IC or Fran is Luka.

Wisconsin went to the national championship game and won 36 games in 2014-2015. Of their top 8 players: 5 were Caucasian, 1 was American Indian, and 2 were African American.

Again, you may not consider yourself racist but you are the only one making underlying judgements about people based solely on the color of their skin.

^^ THIS ^^