With 3 games left - lets speculate

The Iowa offense fooled me versus Rutgers. I didn't expect that. It was Hill's best outing statistically since becoming the starter. Iowa being able to pass opened things up for the run. It certainly changes my feelings about the final two games.

I felt the Illinois game would be the most winnable game of the last three. Illinois' offense scored a bunch on Indiana, but their Defense gave up a lot of points as well. If Iowa can continue to pass successfully that should help open up the running game against the Illinois defense. I like Iowa's chances on Saturday.

I watched a lot of the Nebraska game and their offense moved the ball, but turnovers by the QB's cost them points. They were solid on defense vs Maryland. Maryland was also guilty of turnovers. Maryland left a lot of points on the field. Nebraska is still looking for that 6th win so the will be motivated. I do think Iowa will be motivated to revenge that loss in Kinnick last November.

Not a bit personal to you, all the Never Ferentz crowd who predicted an Iowa blow loss, or made statements like "I don't know how Iowa scores against Rutgers" is the target. That's why this mindless nihilism has got to stop.

Iowa may lose games and look ugly in wins, but we win far more than we lose-and a hell of lot more often than the drivel the Never Ferentz mob pours out every day. People from other schools check into these sites and they think Iowa fans are insane.

They just drift from week to week, complaining, snarking, trivializing wins where they projected losses. This does not excuse the poor offensive performances, but it does show the outrage monkeys need to lighten up the constant hyperbolic negativity.
Yep, leading up the the game “Rutgers is legit, Iowa isn’t going to be able to hang”

After the game “lol, it was Rutgers”

I hope Bert and Fleck didn't think they had stumbled onto some ancient Chinese secret. What they were talking about is precisely how Fitzgerald had beaten us in years past. He had it figured out a decade and a half ago.
Yes. Fitz figured it out several years ago. His personal focus on the match-up didn't hurt either. By all accounts, he was hyper-motivated during those game weeks. What he realized was that the easiest way to beat Iowa is to be patient on offense and disrupt the zone blocking scheme on defense.

Against Iowa's Cover-4 shell defense, the weakspot is the flats. Isolate quick receivers and let them work in space. Six yards here, seven yards there, and next thing you know is a 12-play drive and you are at the 15 yard line. Fitzgerald also excelled at isolating quick slot receivers with an Iowa LB, a weakness that Bielema exploited against us when he was at Wisconsin.

To Iowa's credit (although it was way overdue...), the coaches recognized the need to incorporate the CASH position, which made it much more difficult for offenses to create mismatches. The weakspot in the flats is still there and expect teams to continue to try to exploit it, especially with Harris (whom I thought played more aggressive yesterday). What Bert will do, almost certainly, is to incorporate a few "hitch-and-goes" on the perimeter. Harris and DeJean will have to be prepared for that.

I figured Iowa would loose. It was better than I expected because they won AND scored more than usual

So.....if we loose the next two games we are co-champion of the Big West and some other team gets embarrassed in the Big Championship game. That doesn't sound bad.

ut we need to avenge losses to both Illinois and Nebby from last year so we win out. Start Labas in the bowl game and maybe win that too.

So.....if we loose the next two games we are co-champion of the Big West and some other team gets embarrassed in the Big Championship game. That doesn't sound bad.

ut we need to avenge losses to both Illinois and Nebby from last year so we win out. Start Labas in the bowl game and maybe win that too.

I don't ever want to lose to Nebraska. For any reason. In any way. Hell, if there was a tiddlywinks league, I would not want to see the Solon Snappers lose to the Omaha Chippers. Even if it means they get crushed in the Championship by the Battle Creek Busters.

I hope Bert and Fleck didn't think they had stumbled onto some ancient Chinese secret. What they were talking about is precisely how Fitzgerald had beaten us in years past. He had it figured out a decade and a half ago.

Brohm cracked the code as well.

Yes. Fitz figured it out several years ago. His personal focus on the match-up didn't hurt either. By all accounts, he was hyper-motivated during those game weeks. What he realized was that the easiest way to beat Iowa is to be patient on offense and disrupt the zone blocking scheme on defense.

Against Iowa's Cover-4 shell defense, the weakspot is the flats. Isolate quick receivers and let them work in space. Six yards here, seven yards there, and next thing you know is a 12-play drive and you are at the 15 yard line. Fitzgerald also excelled at isolating quick slot receivers with an Iowa LB, a weakness that Bielema exploited against us when he was at Wisconsin.

To Iowa's credit (although it was way overdue...), the coaches recognized the need to incorporate the CASH position, which made it much more difficult for offenses to create mismatches. The weakspot in the flats is still there and expect teams to continue to try to exploit it, especially with Harris (whom I thought played more aggressive yesterday). What Bert will do, almost certainly, is to incorporate a few "hitch-and-goes" on the perimeter. Harris and DeJean will have to be prepared for that.

Death by a 1000 paper cuts. Fitz would play the chess match with Kirk and then watch Iowa make the rare crucial mistake late.

Brohm would have David Bell or whoever “sit” on these short routes and then like you said a hitch and go, the DB gets beat for a 30 yard completion. Will Paddock have enough patience to let those hitch and goes set up in the second and fourth quarter?

Rutgers hung with OSU for a big part of that game so it wasn’t crazy to think they would give us trouble.
Absolutely, I expected a very close game. What I’m saying is now that Iowa dominated them, the same people saying Iowa was going to struggle are like, well, Rutgers is the worst program in the B1G. They aren’t wrong but it’s a totally playing both sides of the fence kind of deal.

But you gotta think that after the fighting flecks get Iowaed 7 years in a row, or whatever it was, they might be willing to try the Iowa strategy. I just don't think a team from the east that only sees Iowa every few years could muster that discipline.
Oh yeah, to be clear I totally agree with everything you said as far as every middling to bad team that doesn't regularly play Iowa goes.

Death by a 1000 paper cuts. Fitz would play the chess match with Kirk and then watch Iowa make the rare crucial mistake late.

Brohm would have David Bell or whoever “sit” on these short routes and then like you said a hitch and go, the DB gets beat for a 30 yard completion. Will Paddock have enough patience to let those hitch and goes set up in the second and fourth quarter?
Brohm is a bit of different beast. Just too smart. He not only realized how to attack Iowa's D as above, but also figured out how to scheme to create soft spots in our zone (Bell was especially was outstanding in that regard). He also repeatedly created 50-50 balls on the outside, gambling that his WRs could win the one-on-ones more than not.

We'll be facing something similar next week. Expect Illinois to use Williams kind of in that David Bell role, then stress our corners with the 50-50 ball on the perimeter with Bryant and Washington. As good as our DBs are, it will be imperative that we get consistent pressure from our front four.

Let’s try and at least be honest with ourselves following a fantastic win this weekend

The game was 3-0 at half and only 6-0 at the end of the 3rd quarter.

Iowa came out and ran the ball 6 times and actually made a 4th down conversion. That’s when BF inexplicably calls back to back to back pass plays that net 1 yard and lead to a missed FG.

The rest of the half was field position battle that the Iowa D and special teams won and the offense did very little. The only real drive we had ended in a pick on an absolutely horrible play call. Yes the execution sucked and a college QB shouldn’t throw across the field in a short field to the outside receiver but why that call with that field position in that situation? Dumb.

Come out after half and the 3rd quarter was much of the same. Field position battle and let the D and special teams win the game while O does their best not to lose it.

The only quarter that we scored real points was in the 4th. Without looking I’d have to guess that it was our highest scoring quarter of the season. That is what everyone remembers. One quarter of play.

This team is averaging 18.8 pts/game

Blake Corum has almost as many points as the Iowa offense.

I don't know, our chances are pretty good even if we lose out. Minnesota is playing OSU this week and Wisconsin plays Nebraska. That all but guarantees only 1 team that could possibly win the west if we lose out and they win out. If that team is Wisconsin, we own the tie breaker. If Nebraska wins out and we lose to Illinois is the only way we're not headed to Indy... Unless the goofs beat OSU

The Iowa offense fooled me versus Rutgers. I didn't expect that. It was Hill's best outing statistically since becoming the starter. Iowa being able to pass opened things up for the run. It certainly changes my feelings about the final two games.

I felt the Illinois game would be the most winnable game of the last three. Illinois' offense scored a bunch on Indiana, but their Defense gave up a lot of points as well. If Iowa can continue to pass successfully that should help open up the running game against the Illinois defense. I like Iowa's chances on Saturday.

I watched a lot of the Nebraska game and their offense moved the ball, but turnovers by the QB's cost them points. They were solid on defense vs Maryland. Maryland was also guilty of turnovers. Maryland left a lot of points on the field. Nebraska is still looking for that 6th win so the will be motivated. I do think Iowa will be motivated to revenge that loss in Kinnick last November.
I watched a lot of the Indiana/Illinois game. Offense prevailed when the 12th place offense met the 12th place defense. Illinois looked very vulnerable to a pass rush. Of course, both teams in the mid to upper 40s. Iowa will hit that QB 15 times in this game. Illinois has some bad losses, and Iowa probably has a better defense than anyone they've played, outside of Cheatin' Michigan, tOSU and Pedo St. Too tired to look up Illinois' roster. Iowa will feast on Illinois QB.

Illinois is also not very disciplined. I predict Cooper, Brown or Wetjen will score on a reverse or some other gadget play.

Let’s try and at least be honest with ourselves following a fantastic win this weekend

Iowa came out and ran the ball 6 times and actually made a 4th down conversion. That’s when BF inexplicably calls back to back to back pass plays that net 1 yard and lead to a missed FG.

The rest of the half was field position battle that the Iowa D and special teams won and the offense did very little. The only real drive we had ended in a pick on an absolutely horrible play call. Yes the execution sucked and a college QB shouldn’t throw across the field in a short field to the outside receiver but why that call with that field position in that situation? Dumb.

Come out after half and the 3rd quarter was much of the same. Field position battle and let the D and special teams win the game while O does their best not to lose it.

The only quarter that we scored real points was in the 4th. Without looking I’d have to guess that it was our highest scoring quarter of the season. That is what everyone remembers. One quarter of play.

What would prompt such a post on the heels of what was a big win for Iowa, a game I'll bet you predicted Iowa would lose. Iowa won 22-0, bearing in mind Iowa didn't try to score the TD that would have made it an even better 29-0. by kneeling at the Rutgers goal line

You can't just be positive for 48 hours? I mean right after locking up the Division, on the heels of yet another Iowa win it would seem a time that actual fans celebrate. Just wanted to remind everyone that winning notwithstanding, Iowa really sucks and winning games doesn't change the negativity?

It sounds like you are more of a Michigan fan. Spend time on their boards, watch their games. Better all the way around. Certainly better for you.

Wow! If I had known all of that, I would have voted for Iowa to surrender this win. Thanks for your incredible insight!

I watched a lot of the Indiana/Illinois game. Offense prevailed when the 12th place offense met the 12th place defense. Illinois looked very vulnerable to a pass rush. Of course, both teams in the mid to upper 40s. Iowa will hit that QB 15 times in this game. Illinois has some bad losses, and Iowa probably has a better defense than anyone they've played, outside of Cheatin' Michigan, tOSU and Pedo St. Too tired to look up Illinois' roster. Iowa will feast on Illinois QB.

Illinois is also not very disciplined. I predict Cooper, Brown or Wetjen will score on a reverse or some other gadget play.
I am probably crazy to say this, but I think Iowa will dominate this game? Maybe not a bunch of points, but just overall control of the game.

Not a bit personal to you, all the Never Ferentz crowd who predicted an Iowa blow loss, or made statements like "I don't know how Iowa scores against Rutgers" is the target. That's why this mindless nihilism has got to stop.

Iowa may lose games and look ugly in wins, but we win far more than we lose-and a hell of lot more often than the drivel the Never Ferentz mob pours out every day. People from other schools check into these sites and they think Iowa fans are insane.

They just drift from week to week, complaining, snarking, trivializing wins where they projected losses. This does not excuse the poor offensive performances, but it does show the outrage monkeys need to lighten up the constant hyperbolic negativity.

They are the Hawks and I love every game in every sport

I even watched Every Lick game

Glutton for Punishment Plus

We gave the game, gift-wrapped to the illini last year

Spence threw the ball on the turf right in front of a wide-open Hawk at the 5-yard line
all the intended receiver had to do was catch the ball, turn around, and step into the end zone

This was late in the game: with 4:16 left in a 3-6 game, Hawks behind

Of course, Spence spent a lot of time on his back the entire game

The O line was rather porous

We owe the bastards rather largely

Latest posts