With 3 games left - lets speculate

NCHawker

Rutgers, Illinois and Nebraska. All winable, all loseable. So what is yoru prdection

L Rutgers - I'll be happy if hawks win
W Illinois - I'll be relieved if hawks win
W Nebraska - I'll be relieved if hawks win

Bowl Projections

Citrus Bowl: Iowa vs. Missouri (too soon to return to this venue and they'll pass)
Music City Bowl: Wisconsin vs. Tennessee
Las Vegas Bowl: Nebraska vs. USC
Pinstripe Bowl: Rutgers vs. Duke
Guaranteed Rate Bowl: Minnesota vs. Iowa State
Quick Lane Bowl: Maryland vs. Toledo

Will be relieved if they win all three. D and special teams will need to be on and offense needs a mild chubby or better.

Iowa has had Two (2) Touchdowns in the last 12 quarters, in the last 10 quarter just One (1). The last one was set up by a blocked punt. The 1st TD was by LaShon Williams in the second quarter of the Wisconsin game. That's it folks. I hate to say it but Rutgers defense can negate the weak Iowa offense and has scored better against the common big ten opponents. I see a lot of sad faces leaving Kinnick on Saturday.

I would say that the game the Hawks have the best chance winning is against Illinois. Illinois is still trying to get two more wins to be bowl eligible so I expect a close game.

I think Nebraska wins the game because of home field advantage.

1 and 2 is a guess.

Iowa has had Two (2) Touchdowns in the last 12 quarters, in the last 10 quarter just One (1). The last one was set up by a blocked punt. The 1st TD was by LaShon Williams in the second quarter of the Wisconsin game. That's it folks. I hate to say it but Rutgers defense can negate the weak Iowa offense and has scored better against the common big ten opponents. I see a lot of sad faces leaving Kinnick on Saturday.

I would say that the game the Hawks have the best chance winning is against Illinois. Illinois is still trying to get two more wins to be bowl eligible so I expect a close game.

1 and 2 is a guess.
That is pretty close to how I see it.

On Rutgers, dig into the record a bit more. They score points at home, but the two most relevant comparisons are at Michigan (7 points) and at Wisconsin (13 points). Iowa's D is better than Wisconsin's and at least on par with Michigan. East coast teams flying 3 plus hours west to a different time zone typically have more of a disadvantage than a usual road game.

I don't see Rutgers putting up much more than 10 points (if Iowa plays a clean game on offense and doesn't hand Rutgers the ball in Iowa territory). Big if. As long as Iowa does not turn the ball over and wins the field position battle, which is what Iowa does, this feels like a 13-10 win.

On Illinois and Nebraska, it depends on what they are playing for and which team shows up for each.

I say we go 2-1 the last three games. That should win the West if everything else goes to chalk.

Rutgers, Illinois and Nebraska. All winable, all loseable. So what is yoru prdection

L Rutgers - I'll be happy if hawks win
W Illinois - I'll be relieved if hawks win
W Nebraska - I'll be relieved if hawks win

Bowl Projections

Citrus Bowl: Iowa vs. Missouri (too soon to return to this venue and they'll pass)
Music City Bowl: Wisconsin vs. Tennessee
Las Vegas Bowl: Nebraska vs. USC
Pinstripe Bowl: Rutgers vs. Duke
Guaranteed Rate Bowl: Minnesota vs. Iowa State
Quick Lane Bowl: Maryland vs. Toledo
Other then the PSU game this is how I've seen every game so far and I doubt that'll change down the stretch. It's pretty wild but it is what it is.

1 and 2 is a guess.

Hawks scored a 2nd Q TD vs. Minnesota. We took over at the Minnesota 46 yard line after pinning them with a good punt and forcing them to punt from their endzone. We gained 14 yards and converted 0 first downs via our 8 plays from scrimmage on the drive (did manage a 0.5 yd sneak into the endzone). We gained 32 yards and 3 first downs from 4 Minnesota penalties.

On Rutgers, dig into the record a bit more. They score points at home, but the two most relevant comparisons are at Michigan (7 points) and at Wisconsin (13 points). Iowa's D is better than Wisconsin's and at least on par with Michigan. East coast teams flying 3 plus hours west to a different time zone typically have more of a disadvantage than a usual road game.

I don't see Rutgers putting up much more than 10 points (if Iowa plays a clean game on offense and doesn't hand Rutgers the ball in Iowa territory). Big if. As long as Iowa does not turn the ball over and wins the field position battle, which is what Iowa does, this feels like a 13-10 win.

On Illinois and Nebraska, it depends on what they are playing for and which team shows up for each.

I say we go 2-1 the last three games. That should win the West if everything else goes to chalk.
I sorta agree on 2-1 (absolutely best case) if D can hold all to 10 or less. Would never bet which 2 or which 1, tho.

Rutgers worries me - solid enough D to shut out Hawks but maybe - MAYBE - offense can muster 10 and Coop gets redemption on a punt return, 17-14.

Debbie in Lincoln worries me after last year and a they're a better team this year.

I'm kinda thinking Hawks beat the Berts in Kinnick but they can also score.

3-0

Iowa plays games in a vacuum. Just because they have only scored 2 TD's in the last 12 Quarters doesn't do much for me as Iowa didn't NEED to score more TD's then that to win the games. They won the MN game, they just did, but I get that it's not going to count in the record books, but they scored enough to win that game too. I expect Iowa will continue to do what it does against programs that are on the same footing as they are....W by the slimmest of margins and do whatever it needs to do to have 1 more point then it's opponent when the clock stops

Last edited:
Rutgers is terrifying. Rutgers has not defeated a team with a winning record, I think. Illinois, the same. Illinois is 4 games behind Iowa. Don't even talk about Nebraska, two games behind Iowa, with its recent history of dominance. Big Red has beaten Iowa twice in the last ten years so we just assume that's a loss, right?

Last edited:
Rutgers is terrifying. Rutgers has not defeated a team with a winning record, I think. Illinois, the same. Illinois is 4 games behind Iowa. Don't even talk about Nebraska, two games behind Iowa, with its recent history of dominance. Big Red has beaten Iowa twice in the last ten years so we just assume that's a loss, right?
While Iowa controls its own destiny to the win the West, if you want to look at it objectively, you could bet your money on Nebraska. If you look at their results this season, it has basically gone to chalk. They really don't have anything close to an impressive win, but they have handled their business against bad teams, mostly at home. They have three road losses and one home loss to a team that new what plays they were running. 5-4 is exactly where they should be, which already shows the Rhule was a fucking good hire.

If the rest of the season plays out, they should beat a reeling Maryland team at home and lose at Wisky. If Iowa drops one of their last two home games, then the game in Lincoln would likely decide the West. If Iowa wins, they are in. If Nebraska wins, there is likely a 3 or 4 way tie between Iowa, Minny, Nebbie, and Wisky.

1 and 2 is a guess.
If Iowa scores two touchdowns in the next 12 quarters, I'm afraid we will go 0-3.

If Iowa scores two touchdowns in the next 12 quarters, I'm afraid we will go 0-3.
If it were any other program with any other coach playing in any other division, I would agree with you. KF has mystical powers that defy football logic. We could win the next three games as follows, and it would not even be that weird.

13-10
9-6
15-13

1 and 2 is a guess.

I said at the beginning of the year that Rutgers is the sneaky team this season that has me worried. This because they bring a comparable or good defense. They may have just a bit more offense if the D's balance each other out. Taylor has to be on better than the last game. He needs to get back to form prior to the NW game.

If it were any other program with any other coach playing in any other division, I would agree with you. KF has mystical powers that defy football logic. We could win the next three games as follows, and it would not even be that weird.

13-10
9-6
15-13
Yes, people really need to think about it. Iowa is dead last in college football in total offense. They have 33 less yards than the 129th team. DEAD LAST!

To be 7-2 and on the brink of the top 20 is ridiculously stupid and odd. It defies all logic. That is what is making the rest of the season fun. Fun to see if they can keep doing it and fun watching all the rest of the nation and media cringe at the thought of what might happen. Hell yea!!