Wisconsin May Have Russell: Title Contender??

If Bielema doesn't win the Big Ten and make it to the Rose Bowl or National Championship, he will be under some serious hot water. They have everything given to them to breeze through the season now and no excuses not to succeed. HUGE, HUGE pressure now for Wisconsin.

This is even dumber than the last thing you said. Barring a Tressell type melt down Bielema is about as safe as any coach in the B10 not named JoePa or Ferentz.

If I recall correctly, he is VERY mobile. As we all know Iowa struggles against mobile qbs. Especially those who also have somewhat of an arm. See Dan Persa.
Only way Iowa would ever see this guy is if we were both in the championship game.
I'm not sure of the wisdom of bringing in a guy for only 1 season. Putting a lot of faith in one player and if it doesn't work out for whatever reason....expectations, injury, etc, could blow up big time. Especially coming in from a completely different program. If he had been biding his time, learning the system in would be different situation. Be careful what you wish for

Last edited:
I've watched this kid play for the last 3 years.

He is a GREAT college QB.

He is an incredibly smart kid and a quick study.

When I first heard Wisky was going after him I thought... oh NO!!! With Auburn chasing.. OH YES!!!

He's a smart kid and chose the Badgers (if reports are true) and no one in the BIG TEN should be happy.

We do not want to see him in the BIG TEN championship game.

Not taking anything away from the kid, but can't wait to see what his stats look like in a run first offense.

I've watched this kid play for the last 3 years.

He is a GREAT college QB.

He is an incredibly smart kid and a quick study.

When I first heard Wisky was going after him I thought... oh NO!!! With Auburn chasing.. OH YES!!!

He's a smart kid and chose the Badgers (if reports are true) and no one in the BIG TEN should be happy.

We do not want to see him in the BIG TEN championship game.

I guess we should just hand proclaim Wisky the champs right now, wow.

If Wilson goes to Wisconsin they will be in the Big Ten title game. The only team who would beat Wisconsin in the Leaders is Ohio State and who knows what their team will look like be then.

If Wilson goes to Wisconsin they will be in the Big Ten title game. The only team who would beat Wisconsin in the Leaders is Ohio State and who knows what their team will look like be then.

What if Wilson blows his knee out, then do other teams have a chance?

What if Wilson blows his knee out, then do other teams have a chance?

Geesh, calm down. I never said he was the second coming of Joe Montana or even Andrew Luck. He is the difference between Wisky going 8-4 and playing in the Outback bowl or going 10-2 and a chance at a BCS game.

You didn't have to watch a ton of NC State games to get an assessment of the kid's skill level.

You don't think Paul Chyrst won't take advantage of a QB who is more than just a "game manager"?

Re-read the section of Jon's post about the schedule.

I get a kick out of all the blatant jealousy I see on this board. A lot of running down Brett Bielema's success. The fact remains, Bielema has been more successful as a coach than Ferentz over the last 5 seasons since Bielema took over at Wisconsin. Wisconsin finished ranked in the top 25 four times compared to two for Iowa. They finished in the top 10 twice compared to one for Iowa and they had a 49-16 record compared to 40-24 for Iowa. Now they just landed a solid qb to go along with an already potent running game. Hopefully Ferentz can right the ship and turn Iowa back into a consistent winning team, but there's no need for the ridiculous jealousy and whining from Iowa fans.

Geesh, calm down. I never said he was the second coming of Joe Montana or even Andrew Luck. He is the difference between Wisky going 8-4 and playing in the Outback bowl or going 10-2 and a chance at a BCS game.

You didn't have to watch a ton of NC State games to get an assessment of the kid's skill level.

You don't think Paul Chyrst won't take advantage of a QB who is more than just a "game manager"?

Re-read the section of Jon's post about the schedule.

Was I talking to you, looks I quoted the poster who basically said they were a lock for the Big Ten title game. I read Jon's post, schedule looks very similar to ours last year and look how that turned out. I guess I take all this pre-season hype (including Iowa's in the past) with a grain of salt.

If he does choose to play football, he may have to give back the signing bonus that the Rockies gave him. This nugget was in the CBS article:

The Colorado Rockies organization has acknowledged Wilson's visits, but maintains their stance that they expect Wilson to complete his season with Tourists - which runs until at least Sept. 5. The Badgers will kick off fall camp Aug. 4 and open the regular season against UNLV Sept. 1. If Wilson does leave the Rockies' farm system early to return to college football, he will likely have to repay the signing bonus he received as a fourth round pick in the MLB draft. That number has been reported to be as high as $250,000.

Report: Russell Wilson favoring Wisconsin - CBSSports.com

If he does choose to play football, he may have to give back the signing bonus that the Rockies gave him. This nugget was in the CBS article:

The Colorado Rockies organization has acknowledged Wilson's visits, but maintains their stance that they expect Wilson to complete his season with Tourists - which runs until at least Sept. 5. The Badgers will kick off fall camp Aug. 4 and open the regular season against UNLV Sept. 1. If Wilson does leave the Rockies' farm system early to return to college football, he will likely have to repay the signing bonus he received as a fourth round pick in the MLB draft. That number has been reported to be as high as $250,000.

Report: Russell Wilson favoring Wisconsin - CBSSports.com

If thats the case and he doesn't have the entire $250,000 I heard Terrelle Pryor volunteered his time to helping him set up some autograph signing sessions.

I think he would have a tough decision....play one more year of football vs 250k and a possible MLB career worth millions? I think he will stick to baseball.

Was I talking to you, looks I quoted the poster who basically said they were a lock for the Big Ten title game. I read Jon's post, schedule looks very similar to ours last year and look how that turned out. I guess I take all this pre-season hype (including Iowa's in the past) with a grain of salt.

Iowa did not live up to expectations so Wisconsin will not either.....that there is some good logic.:rolleyes:

The only way this hurts us is if they have another outstanding season and move up the recruiting ladder. The only way we will see him would be in the CCG, in which case we would already have exceeded expectations by getting there.

What is the motivation for this guy to give back the money to the rockies and risk his baseball career so that he can play one year at a school he's never been to before and with a bunch of people he doesn't know? Is he trying to get to the NFL or something? Is he independently wealthy? I don't get this.

I don't get it either, Latrans. I have heard that he is not the best baseball prospect. I can't imagine he would have a NFL career.

The shortest current NFL QB is Seneca Wallace, I believe. He is 5'11".

I think there is more to this story than is being reported.

Latest posts