Wisconsin May Have Russell: Title Contender??

JonDMiller

Publisher/Founder
Wisconsin lands former N.C. State QB Russell Wilson | National Football Post

There is an NBC Sports someone saying the Badgers got a commitment from QB Russell Wilson. Wilson spent his first three years at NC State, throwing for over 3500 yards last year and 28 touchdowns.

His 76 career TD passes are the 3rd highest total in ACC history and his 8500 some odd passing yards are the 12th highest total. Here is his NC State bio.

To put that in an Iowa perspective, he'd be #2 in passing yards for a career and #1 in touchdown passes for a career, with one more season to play.

What I am trying to say is that if Wilson does commit to Wisconsin, the Badgers could make a case they have the best quarterback in the Big Ten conference...which was also their biggest question mark heading into this season.

I have not been as high on the Badgers going into this year as some others have, but their schedule, and the division they are playing in this year, made it tough to not pick them to win at least 8 or 9 games.

Their first true road game is October 22nd at Michigan State, plenty of time for Wilson to have become acclimated to the playbook which will be far less sophisticated than what he had in the ACC.

-Hand the ball off left
-Hand the ball off right
-play action fake to Nick Toon...and there you go.

There is the game at Ohio State the following week, but they are not as formidable now as I thought they were going to be when I took a look at this back in early May and Wisconsin has played Ohio State well through the last decade, perhaps better than any other team in the Big Ten.

Here is their schedule (HOME IN CAPS)

UNLV
OREGON STATE
Northern Illinois at Soldier Field
SOUTH DAKOTA
NEBRASKA
bye
INDIANA
@MSU
@OSU
PURDUE
@Minnesota
@Illinois
PENN STATE

If they get Wilson, I think the WORST they do is 10-2 (6-2)..with an outside chance at running the regular season, and being the favorite to win the Big Ten title.

Do I think this Wisconsin team is as good as last year's Wisconsin team (after and before the fact)? No; were I a Wisconsin fan and could bring back last year's team right now, I would. However, the Big Ten is not as deep and won't be as good in 2011 as it was in 2010 and the Badgers are in the right division, with the right overall schedule to be a chic darkhorse pick to make it to the national title game if you get bored picking the likes of Oklahoma and LSU every year.

Don't lump me in as being in love with Wisconsin, either. While I like Bret Bielema when he's not offering recruits Iowa has offered just because Iowa has offered them, I certainly don't root for them and would just as soon they not have another year like this due to head to head recruiting battles.

But in this league, this year, with this guy under center, they could make it back to Pasadena...or further.

Yep, Wisconsin is building an elite program in Madison. I'm ****** because Iowa should be on the same level but never will now. Iowa seems to be regressing to mediocrity once again while Wisconsin goes to Rose Bowls every year. How can Iowa get to Wisconsin's level? :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Further. Wisconsin could make it to Pasadena or further.

Unless, of course, you were talking about geographical distance (like say, going to Honolulu for the Aloha Bowl). Then, "farther" would be correct. But I doubt that is what you had in mind, and thus, "further" is the correct word.

Yep, Wisconsin is building an elite program in Madison. I'm ****** because Iowa should be on the same level but never will now. Iowa seems to be regressing to mediocrity once again while Wisconsin goes to Rose Bowls every year. How can Iowa get to Wisconsin's level?

Yer funny.

If Bielema doesn't win the Big Ten and make it to the Rose Bowl or National Championship, he will be under some serious hot water. They have everything given to them to breeze through the season now and no excuses not to succeed. HUGE, HUGE pressure now for Wisconsin.

Also, there was no coaching change that prompted Wilson to leave. Tom O'Brien was, and still is, Wilson's coach at NCSU throughout his career. O'Brien questioned Wilson's commitment to the 'Pack given the fact Wilson is playing minor league baseball. Sounds like O'Brien wanted to go with a different option under center.

Sounds like he is very good and a great get for Wisky. That being said, he is coming into a new offense and not in the Big 10. No, I'm not trowing out how crazy awesome the Big 10 is, but the ACC is not the Big 10. If they get him, they are certainly a better team. Are they a title contender in the Big 10, absolutely. They were before they got him.

On paper, which is all we really have for any Big 10 team, they are getting better. I think Jon said before (after Prior said he was gone) that Wisky was going to be the team to beat, which I don't disagree with. That being said, I will believe he is as good as advertised in that offense. It should be interesting.

I don't understand all the love for this guy. Sure he has thrown for a lot of yards and TD's but he has also thrown a ton of passes to accomplish this because he has completed under 60% for his career.

If he completes under 60% at Wisconsin they won't throw the ball enough for this guy to do damage through the air.

Yep, Wisconsin is building an elite program in Madison. I'm ****** because Iowa should be on the same level but never will now. Iowa seems to be regressing to mediocrity once again while Wisconsin goes to Rose Bowls every year. How can Iowa get to Wisconsin's level? :rolleyes:

Yeah I know what you mean.

If they had the following schedule and finished at 7-5 he would be fired!

Eastern Illinois
Iowa State
@ Arizona
Ball State
Penn State
@ Michigan
Wisky
Mich State
@ IU
@ NW
Ohio State
@ Minny
Mid tier bowl game

8-5 Whoop de doo

No way in hell is Wisky's schedule next year any harder or easier than ours was this year. Both get PSU at home. Wisky goes on the road to OSU. Add Nebraska at home and you offset any loss that OSU will see this year.

If Bielema doesn't win the Big Ten and make it to the Rose Bowl or National Championship, he will be under some serious hot water. They have everything given to them to breeze through the season now and no excuses not to succeed. HUGE, HUGE pressure now for Wisconsin.

you're an idiot... really... you should really stop posting.
if Wisconsin goes 10-2 do you really think Bret will be under pressure? he is one the safest coaches in the freaking nation.

blah blah blah shutup clown hear it once hear it all.

I don't understand all the love for this guy. Sure he has thrown for a lot of yards and TD's but he has also thrown a ton of passes to accomplish this because he has completed under 60% for his career.

If he completes under 60% at Wisconsin they won't throw the ball enough for this guy to do damage through the air.

If I recall correctly, he is VERY mobile. As we all know Iowa struggles against mobile qbs. Especially those who also have somewhat of an arm. See Dan Persa.

Wisconsin better be careful, when things tend to be to good to be true they usually are. Look at Ohio State. They were riding on top of the world with TP and the vest and now neither one is around and the school and fans are left holding the bag.

Fwiw, 02 season Brad Banks completion pct was "only" 59%.

You have not seen him play have you? He will not be the typical Wisconsin "game manager" QB. Paul Chyrst or whoever the OC is will get him out on the perimeter with bootlegs and waggle plays with a run/pass option which would be added wrinkle to their offense.

Arm strength can be overrated, but he will have the best arm in the conference. Unlike Tolzien, he will be able to throw the deep outs, deep balls peroid.

I watched him play a lot last year the guy is good and will be a big improvement for Wisconsin this year.

Latest posts