Will Toussaint Start Friday?

Will Toussaint Start Vs Oral Roberts

• Yes

Votes: 9 20.0%
  • No

Votes: 36 80.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Q. You talked before the season about Connor maybe playing some three. Is that a path for Toussaint maybe to get more minutes?

FRAN McCAFFERY: Yeah, yes. I mean, it’s an avenue for a lot of people to get more minutes. Bakari needs more minutes. He’s been playing really well in practice and gotten a chance, but probably would like more of a chance.

You know, you go back to the numbers. For five, six weeks, Patrick’s numbers were probably better than anybody else’s and he’s not playing much either because he’s got to get work done at the end other. Those guys are ahead of him defensively. That’s not uncommon for a freshman.

So the more you play other people at the three spot, that’s less minutes for him because Joe is going to get a lot, Joe Wieskamp, is going to get a lot there as well. So it’s always interesting to try to figure out how we get enough guys enough minutes to where they develop confidence.

That’s the hardest thing.

I say yes, but I said yes last summer. I rewatched the last 6 minutes of the game and many starters were still in for DePaul. The defense was so much better and I even liked Pat on the press. Joe T is as advertised. He can finish in traffic, moves well on defense, and most importantly is not intimidated. I don't need him to start but he needs to get starters

Should have probably posted this in the Joe T thread. I think our season will hinge on how fast Joe T can take over at the PG position. I think we need his ability to defend the PG and bread down the other team to have a successful season.

Should have probably posted this in the Joe T thread. I think our season will hinge on how fast Joe T can take over at the PG position. I think we need his ability to defend the PG and bread down the other team to have a successful season.
We will have to live with some of the growing pains but honestly I’d rather have a kid like that making aggressive mistakes anyway.

Nunge is still a huge key as well though. If he can’t figure it out or just isn’t that good I think we are in trouble either way.

We will have to live with some of the growing pains but honestly I’d rather have a kid like that making aggressive mistakes anyway.

Nunge is still a huge key as well though. If he can’t figure it out or just isn’t that good I think we are in trouble either way.
Yeah Nunge if he's going to start and play a lot he can't be putting up goose eggs basically. Joe T I think will end up being too good to leave on the bench. And if CM doesn't improve it'll have to be at his expense. He's tough to watch most of the time. He can make a good play here and there. But some of the head scratching plays are just that..

Yeah Nunge if he's going to start and play a lot he can't be putting up goose eggs basically. Joe T I think will end up being too good to leave on the bench. And if CM doesn't improve it'll have to be at his expense. He's tough to watch most of the time. He can make a good play here and there. But some of the head scratching plays are just that..
I don’t even care if Nunge averages 6 points a game. If he can rebound, defend opponents 4 men, and block and alter shots that’s what we need. I hoped he had the footspeed to cover for the lack of it from Garza, Kriener, and Pemsl, right now he looks just as slow as the rest of them.

People are going to complain when he doesn’t score, but I really don’t think Iowa needs him to be a big scorer.

If you guys think Joe T is going to supplant C-Mac as the starting PG, you're going to be disappointed.
You could be right. Judging by the amount of questions Fran already was getting on Joe T he’s going to feel some pressure to make a move, especially if Joe T does outplay Cmac.

You could be right. Judging by the amount of questions Fran already was getting on Joe T he’s going to feel some pressure to make a move, especially if Joe T does outplay Cmac.

Just my opinion, but I don't see Fran succumbing to any outside pressure. Not how he's wired.

Just my opinion, but I don't see Fran succumbing to any outside pressure. Not how he's wired.

totally agree about Fran, but Fran isn’t stupid either. If Joe progresses, he will earn more minutes, but I don’t think he starts at all.

Agree that he will get more minutes if he plays consistently well. I just don't see him taking away Connor's starting spot.

That's why I asked yesterday about sliding Connor to the 3 some, which Fran and Connor both talked about before the season. But with Fran wanting to play Patrick behind Joe W there, minutes are limited there.

I don’t even care if Nunge averages 6 points a game. If he can rebound, defend opponents 4 men, and block and alter shots that’s what we need. I hoped he had the footspeed to cover for the lack of it from Garza, Kriener, and Pemsl, right now he looks just as slow as the rest of them.

People are going to complain when he doesn’t score, but I really don’t think Iowa needs him to be a big scorer.
Same here I don't expect double digits from him either (as great as that'd be) But on nights where JW and Garza aren't carrying the load scoring wise we have to have everyone chip in some in that regard. We pretty much gotta hit 75 plus to win right? Closer to 85 to be safe then sorry? I mean our D just won't be holding teams down below that very often. I just hope JW can carry the load offensively because if he's not we'll be in trouble most nights.

If you guys think Joe T is going to supplant C-Mac as the starting PG, you're going to be disappointed.

Agree that he will get more minutes if he plays consistently well. I just don't see him taking away Connor's starting spot.

That's why I asked yesterday about sliding Connor to the 3 some, which Fran and Connor both talked about before the season. But with Fran wanting to play Patrick behind Joe W there, minutes are limited there.

Toussaint's not there yet, but I think it's clear that his ceiling is higher. He can make things happen that Connor cannot. What happens if he clearly surpasses Connor?

I think there's room for Wieskamp to slide up to the 4 and/or down to the 2 leaving Pat's playing time intact.

I don't think Joe T will be starting either. I mean he's not even starting JBo over his kid currently. Now I'm no doc and won't pretend to know anything about healing hips. But wouldn't it make more sense to start JBo and let him play right away after opening warmups while his blood is pumping. Sitting and stiffening up and then going in doesn't make much sense to me or maybe that has nothing to do with it I dunno. As far as how much he plays sure he can still be taken out whenever before the first TV TO. Whatever I just figure if you want him off to a good start that might be the way to try handling him for now...

Same here I don't expect double digits from him either (as great as that'd be) But on nights where JW and Garza aren't carrying the load scoring wise we have to have everyone chip in some in that regard. We pretty much gotta hit 75 plus to win right? Closer to 85 to be safe then sorry? I mean our D just won't be holding teams down below that very often. I just hope JW can carry the load offensively because if he's not we'll be in trouble most nights.
It kind of depends on Jbo as far as scoring. Garza averaged 13 last year. Wieskamp and Jbo 11. I think CJF will be right around 10. If we shut Jbo down or he isn’t himself we will need someone to pick up some slack.

It kind of depends on Jbo as far as scoring. Garza averaged 13 last year. Wieskamp and Jbo 11. I think CJF will be right around 10. If we shut Jbo down or he isn’t himself we will need someone to pick up some slack.
Yeah it'd sure be nice to see a consistent increase from Garza, JW and even Kreiner. He was a bright spot. I don't expect he will go for 14-8 every night or whatever he had. But If he can do close to 10-5 as a floor that'd sure be good. It doesn't look like JBo is anywhere close to himself and I'm not expecting more then a couple buckets a game from him for now. That's where how CM and Toussaint do is huge. If Joe T had a smooth shot like CJF or anything close to that he'd have to be playing way more.

That was a good question Rob I liked it.

I don’t mind Connor at the 3 becuase I believe that’s the position he has the best chance of defending. I don’t think he can defend point guards at this level.