Will Toussaint Start Friday?

Will Toussaint Start Vs Oral Roberts

• Yes

Votes: 9 20.0%
  • No

Votes: 36 80.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I keep hearing he won't start because of "Connor" - yet they've been on the floor a lot together so far. I still think Fran wants to win more then he wants to just play his kids. I do. Even with me turning a bit of my opinion on Fran. I think Joe T is in line for a lot of minutes and I think it will only increase the more up to speed he gets, regardless of Connor or anyone else on the team. When he took Connor off the court in the first half and just rolled with Joe, it wasn't pretty. You almost need that calming ball handler on the court, especially if all the other guys are the court are weak with the ball. As PC said, "who isn't a live TO waiting to happen on this team" .....probably Jordan and Connor, but that's it and they are far from perfect too.
I’m not sure I’d really blame Toussaint or not having Connor on the floor for that run. After all Depaul started the game 19-2 against our starters. Fran should have never done a full line change.

Toussaint was only credited with one turnover by the way and that was a travel, so at the very least it didn’t lead to a wide open basket the other way.

I’m okay with Connor and Toussaint on the court at the same time, because as I said Connor should be guarding opponent 3men. The thing is I think Connor is probably the 5th best defender of the guards / wings behind Wieskamp, Toussaint, Evelyn, and Fredrick. Possibly behind Pat as well. Does Connor bring enough offensively to overcome that? That’s the tough part.

I voted yes but I’m not 100% on it. I do think eventually he will crack the lineup.

I think we are going to have to live with some of his turnovers. I think they will be charges and maybe some tight windowed passes. He’s playing juiced up right now but he will learn as he goes how to pick his spots a little better.

Honestly if he dribbles the ball into the paint and turns it over it’s a much better turnover that Kriener (Pemsl, Garza, Nunge) trying to feed the post which gets stolen and almost always ends in a layup or Jam the other way.
This is perfect. Iowa is always a TO waiting to happen. Why not go with the guy that can create with the dribble?

He flashed some stuff last night but also seemed to go away from the team concept a little too much. I can see why when some of his teammates weren't doing much. I'd like to see him start here on out Friday as his upside is obviously higher than Connor's but we know that won't happen.
It may be time to adjust the team concept then. This guy, right now, can finish at the rim better than Bohannon and Gessell ever could, better than any guard we've had in two decades. If he has to deviate from the team concept because others cant keep up with him, that's on the team, not Joe.

Its too early to say, but early returns say hes the type of penetrating, attacking poimt guard we've been looking for. That's the only reason I would still have hope for this team. If you're solid at the point and in the post you will have a chamce on nights when other's shots aren't falling.

It sure seems like Joe T and CJ are a pretty good back court. If Wieskamp stays 4 years, we could actually be pretty damn solid the next couple years.

It sure seems like Joe T and CJ are a pretty good back court. If Wieskamp stays 4 years, we could actually be pretty damn solid the next couple years.
I think Toussaint will have some growing pains. Most of what he did last night was against a team that didn’t need to play super hard on defense up as big as they were. I’m still excited for him going forward but I do think it will take some time.

Will he and should he are two very different things. He definitely showed that he belongs on the court, just don't know if he has got Fran's trust yet.

All freshman will have growing pains. Here's a couple of freshman continuing to work ...

The thing I like about Toussaint is you can tell he absolutely hates losing. Now he will need to learn to control that some but he wants to be good and wants to be on a winning team. I think CJF has that as well.

Pat kind of had that deer in the headlights look last night but I do think he puts a lot of time into his craft. It just might take him a little longer to get to a point where he can really effect games he the way he wants to.

I voted yes as well. This might be crazy, but I think he should still start Connor, but instead at the 3 and move Wieskamp to the 4 until Nunge gets his head right. Right now IMO, that would put our 5 best players on the floor and could be a viable lineup. I think the most likely scenario is that nothing changes though. Connor is our steadiest hand at point and wasn't the reason we lost last night. But on the other hand, Toussaint could be the reason we win.

The whole rotation is a mess at this point though. Lots of inexperience and jitters out there combined with Kriener and Garza trying to play hero ball. Ugly ugly ulgy.

That’s a number of serious recruiting failures if we’re saying Connor is one of our top 5 guys.

All freshman will have growing pains. Here's a couple of freshman continuing to work ...

When a freshman makes mistakes, it's called growing pains. When everyone else makes mistakes, it's called a mistake. People act like players quit making mistakes as they get older. They should make less then they did when they were freshmen, but a good player is going to make less mistakes as a freshman then a bad player will as a senior.

I guess I'm saying I would rather have a good freshman and live with his "freshmen mistakes" than have a bad upperclassmen and have to live with him sucking.

Imo, this roster isn’t constructed for small ball. You have a little bit of flexibility with JW, but that’s about it. Playing outside-in is sooooo hard given everyone’s skill set.

I voted yes but I’m not 100% on it. I do think eventually he will crack the lineup.

I think we are going to have to live with some of his turnovers. I think they will be charges and maybe some tight windowed passes. He’s playing juiced up right now but he will learn as he goes how to pick his spots a little better.

Honestly if he dribbles the ball into the paint and turns it over it’s a much better turnover that Kriener (Pemsl, Garza, Nunge) trying to feed the post which gets stolen and almost always ends in a layup or Jam the other way.
Or Conner's jump passes to the other team.

Imo, this roster isn’t constructed for small ball. You have a little bit of flexibility with JW, but that’s about it. Playing outside-in is sooooo hard given everyone’s skill set.
It’s hard to do when your big isn’t a rim protector and Garza certainly isn’t that. Still though I would argue that both JW and PM could play the 4 in a smaller look. With Pat we’d have to certainly go zone and rebounding would be a huge concern.

It’s hard to do when your big isn’t a rim protector and Garza certainly isn’t that. Still though I would argue that both JW and PM could play the 4 in a smaller look. With Pat we’d have to certainly go zone and rebounding would be a huge concern.

To that end, I'd love to have Nunge really come into his own and play a small ball center. Because he has the potential to be a big time rim protector. Then again, I'd love to see any of our backup bigs take the next step. Arguably the biggest problem Monday (if you can pick just one) was that we didn't have any inside presence when Kriener and Garza were off the court. Heck, even when they were they were turnover machines and ended the game with a grand total of 2 blocks. For comparison, small ball DePaul had 8.

To that end, I'd love to have Nunge really come into his own and play a small ball center. Because he has the potential to be a big time rim protector. Then again, I'd love to see any of our backup bigs take the next step. Arguably the biggest problem Monday (if you can pick just one) was that we didn't have any inside presence when Kriener and Garza were off the court. Heck, even when they were they were turnover machines and ended the game with a grand total of 2 blocks. For comparison, small ball DePaul had 8.
Totally agree. Nunge has looked pretty slow but I still think he can move his feet the best out of our bigs and he’s the tallest. He’d have the best chance at being a rim protector anyway at the 5 spot. The problem is you can’t give up Garza’s elite offense either. We just have to find a way to mix and match it a little better.

There’s just not a lot of flexibility with this roster. 3 or 4 guys can effectively play multiple positions everyone else’s skill set only allows for one. As the sport becomes more and more positionless, that’s a problem.

Per David Eickholt Toussaint will not start Friday according to the game notes. That tweet was in reply of someone asking if he will start. I couldn’t find it in the game notes though.

There’s just not a lot of flexibility with this roster. 3 or 4 guys can effectively play multiple positions everyone else’s skill set only allows for one. As the sport becomes more and more positionless, that’s a problem.

I disagree. 2/3 of the team can play multiple positions.

Latest posts