Will Toussaint Start Friday?

Will Toussaint Start Vs Oral Roberts

• Yes

Votes: 9 20.0%
  • No

Votes: 36 80.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Fran hasn’t shown any fear of starting freshman in the past. Does he make this move?
I voted no - he should but I don't think he will. I do think Fran will play him a lot more, but still wants to "usher him in" and learn the offense and value the ball. As good as Joe has looked, he's still a live ball turnover waiting to happen until he gets more minutes and comfortable. By the looks of it, he'll get a lot of PT when Iowa is getting boat raced by teams that are good.

I voted no - he should but I don't think he will. I do think Fran will play him a lot more, but still wants to "usher him in" and learn the offense and value the ball. As good as Joe has looked, he's still a live ball turnover waiting to happen until he gets more minutes and comfortable. By the looks of it, he'll get a lot of PT when Iowa is getting boat raced by teams that are good.

The question is, who isn't a live ball turnover waiting to happen?

He flashed some stuff last night but also seemed to go away from the team concept a little too much. I can see why when some of his teammates weren't doing much. I'd like to see him start here on out Friday as his upside is obviously higher than Connor's but we know that won't happen.

I voted yes but I’m not 100% on it. I do think eventually he will crack the lineup.

I think we are going to have to live with some of his turnovers. I think they will be charges and maybe some tight windowed passes. He’s playing juiced up right now but he will learn as he goes how to pick his spots a little better.

Honestly if he dribbles the ball into the paint and turns it over it’s a much better turnover that Kriener (Pemsl, Garza, Nunge) trying to feed the post which gets stolen and almost always ends in a layup or Jam the other way.

I voted yes but I’m not 100% on it. I do think eventually he will crack the lineup.

I think we are going to have to live with some of his turnovers. I think they will be charges and maybe some tight windowed passes. He’s playing juiced up right now but he will learn as he goes how to pick his spots a little better.

Honestly if he dribbles the ball into the paint and turns it over it’s a much better turnover that Kriener (Pemsl, Garza, Nunge) trying to feed the post which gets stolen and almost always ends in a layup or Jam the other way.

I voted yes as well. This might be crazy, but I think he should still start Connor, but instead at the 3 and move Wieskamp to the 4 until Nunge gets his head right. Right now IMO, that would put our 5 best players on the floor and could be a viable lineup. I think the most likely scenario is that nothing changes though. Connor is our steadiest hand at point and wasn't the reason we lost last night. But on the other hand, Toussaint could be the reason we win.

The whole rotation is a mess at this point though. Lots of inexperience and jitters out there combined with Kriener and Garza trying to play hero ball. Ugly ugly ulgy.

I voted yes as well. This might be crazy, but I think he should still start Connor, but instead at the 3 and move Wieskamp to the 4 until Nunge gets his head right. Right now IMO, that would put our 5 best players on the floor and could be a viable lineup. I think the most likely scenario is that nothing changes though. Connor is our steadiest hand at point and wasn't the reason we lost last night. But on the other hand, Toussaint could be the reason we win.

The whole rotation is a mess at this point though. Lots of inexperience and jitters out there combined with Kriener and Garza trying to play hero ball. Ugly ugly ulgy.
I mentioned a similar lineup as well. Don’t know if I’d go with Connor or Evelyn at the 3 if Wieskamp was at the 4. Like I said in another thread Connor’s defensive position is at the 3, that’s where he’s best suited to defend.

We haven’t seen a whole lot of Evelyn but I thought he was okay last night. Played respectable defense I thought.

Why not? While the rest of college basketball goes small and fast, Iowa has went big and slow. Let's change it up!

I like your thought process but against upcoming big physical teams like syracuse cincinnati and iowa state this is just not possible let alone in the big 10.

I mentioned a similar lineup as well. Don’t know if I’d go with Connor or Evelyn at the 3 if Wieskamp was at the 4. Like I said in another thread Connor’s defensive position is at the 3, that’s where he’s best suited to defend.

We haven’t seen a whole lot of Evelyn but I thought he was okay last night. Played respectable defense I thought.

Was Evelyn Connor one of Sarah's sisters that got iced in the new Terminator movie?

I think we're seeing about the right amount out of Evelyn right now. Two steals, three assists, no turnovers and 0-2 from 3 last night in 15 minutes seems about right. Provides a steady veteran presence and doesn't force anything offensively, but provides a spark on defense. Evelyn I think is a bit too small to be at the 3 for more than a handful of minutes. Connor seems more capable of playing in the post and thus far, has been right where we want him shooting the 3 when it's open. I also like the idea of having a veteran presence off the bench.

Why not? While the rest of college basketball goes small and fast, Iowa has went big and slow. Let's change it up!
I’ve been campaigning to go small for the better part of the last 3+ years. But Fran refuses to do it because he wants to get minutes for all the bigs we’ve had. Kriener, Pemsl, Cook, Garza, Nunge, etc.

I’ve been campaigning to go small for the better part of the last 3+ years. But Fran refuses to do it because he wants to get minutes for all the bigs we’ve had. Kriener, Pemsl, Cook, Garza, Nunge, etc.

Fran's stubborn like a lot of coaches. It's what makes them successful at times. However, his insistence of playing 10-12 players in a rotation doesn't seem to work (except at Florida State:)). I wish he would shorten the rotation, play smaller and faster, and let's see what happens. I know this won't happen, but ...

If_I_Can_Dream_Cover.jpg

Joe T is the slasher type that Fran has desperately needed for the last decade. But no, he won't start because Connor.

I keep hearing he won't start because of "Connor" - yet they've been on the floor a lot together so far. I still think Fran wants to win more then he wants to just play his kids. I do. Even with me turning a bit of my opinion on Fran. I think Joe T is in line for a lot of minutes and I think it will only increase the more up to speed he gets, regardless of Connor or anyone else on the team. When he took Connor off the court in the first half and just rolled with Joe, it wasn't pretty. You almost need that calming ball handler on the court, especially if all the other guys are the court are weak with the ball. As PC said, "who isn't a live TO waiting to happen on this team" .....probably Jordan and Connor, but that's it and they are far from perfect too.

Fran's stubborn like a lot of coaches. It's what makes them successful at times. However, his insistence of playing 10-12 players in a rotation doesn't seem to work (except at Florida State:)). I wish he would shorten the rotation, play smaller and faster, and let's see what happens. I know this won't happen, but ...

I don't mind a 10-12 man rotation when it makes sense. The problem is for Iowa it doesn't make sense at all. Fran's trying to keep everyone happy, but does he really think Pemsl is "happy" with 13 minutes anyway? Does he really think Evelyn deserves 15 minutes? Nunge started but played only 10 minutes (Wagner 2.0)...so what is the point in starting him?

If you're going 10-12 deep you should be running the floor full time, you should be pressing full time. You should play at a pace thats going to tire out teams that only go 7-8 players deep. That's the entire point and Fran seems to have forgotten that .

Also, its not actually depth when your depth sucks.

I don't mind a 10-12 man rotation when it makes sense. The problem is for Iowa it doesn't make sense at all. Fran's trying to keep everyone happy, but does he really think Pemsl is "happy" with 13 minutes anyway? Does he really think Evelyn deserves 15 minutes? Nunge started but played only 10 minutes (Wagner 2.0)...so what is the point in starting him?

If you're going 10-12 deep you should be running the floor full time, you should be pressing full time. You should play at a pace thats going to tire out teams that only go 7-8 players deep. That's the entire point and Fran seems to have forgotten that .

Also, its not actually depth when your depth sucks.

Yep, that's why I mentioned Florida State. Hamilton plays everyone, but they are very similar, athletic players and they try to smother teams defensively.

Play your best players the maximum, efficient amount, whatever that may be. Don't play players to keep them happy.

I keep hearing he won't start because of "Connor" - yet they've been on the floor a lot together so far. I still think Fran wants to win more then he wants to just play his kids. I do. Even with me turning a bit of my opinion on Fran. I think Joe T is in line for a lot of minutes and I think it will only increase the more up to speed he gets, regardless of Connor or anyone else on the team. When he took Connor off the court in the first half and just rolled with Joe, it wasn't pretty. You almost need that calming ball handler on the court, especially if all the other guys are the court are weak with the ball. As PC said, "who isn't a live TO waiting to happen on this team" .....probably Jordan and Connor, but that's it and they are far from perfect too.

Well right now Connor is playing both the 1 and the 2 because JBo is clearly not himself. I don't mind Connor starting and getting minutes right now. He's actually been one of the few productive players so far...2:1 assist to turnover, 50% from 3, 100% from the line. I can live with that all day...but its a small sample size

Yep, that's why I mentioned Florida State. Hamilton plays everyone, but they are very similar, athletic players and they try to smother teams defensively.

Play your best players the maximum, efficient amount, whatever that may be. Don't play players to keep them happy.

There's little doubt in my mind that Pemsl transfers after this season. He could be doing really well at a place like Drake or UNI if he can stay healthy.

To your point, its hilarious that Fran goes 12 deep when they sit back in a 2/3 zone defense. If he was playing a suffocating man defense all night it would make a lot of sense