Will Riley Mulvey contribute this season?

InGoodCo

Seems like a big question mark and I am not so sure.... but he has filled out and is much thicker then when he arrived at Iowa. I feel like it's this season or never and while Iowa will be deep in the post, anything we can get out of him will be a pretty big deal IMO for this up coming season. So, take a stab....before the year gets rolling, will Riley Mulvey get minutes and contribute to Iowa basketball this season?

When we got two bigs from the transfer portal; that should be your answer.
Maybe? But not really how I would look at it. We have to fill scholarships right? Even with a 4 player freshman class, we were at 10 before we went to the portal. We have more guards and wings and have lost 2 post players early to the NBA, not to mention we lost Cook early, Joe W early, and Luka.... a lot more attrition in the Front court for our program so going after Post players in the open market would make sense whether Mulvey is expected to contribute or not.

Any big on the Iowa roster that can give you defense and rebounding will get minutes. It sounds like Owen Freeman is the early leader in the clubhouse in that department, but Mulvey, Krikke, Brauns and Dembele are going to have to give you something as well.

If Mulvey turns out to be a 9 and 7 guy, sign me up for that right now.

I would love to see Mulvey contribute in a meaningful way. I liked his positive involvement last season during limited minutes but also as a bench cheerleader. The other kids like him.

Any big on the Iowa roster that can give you defense and rebounding will get minutes. It sounds like Owen Freeman is the early leader in the clubhouse in that department, but Mulvey, Krikke, Brauns and Dembele are going to have to give you something as well.

If Mulvey turns out to be a 9 and 7 guy, sign me up for that right now.

Owen Freeman is the Goods

They are going to give him as many minutes as possible

Riley showed glimpses of his ability last season and he should good for some solid minutes

Riley is quick and he's beefing up and has long arms and I think at the worse could be a small role player off the bench who could get 10 minutes a game or so. I think he contributes at least a little this season and really I am just basing that off of his body in the media day posters. He's filled out.

Owen Freeman is the Goods

They are going to give him as many minutes as possible

Riley showed glimpses of his ability last season and he should good for some solid minutes
That's kinda what I'd been hearing too. Freeman may take Rileys time and then some if he's as legit as it sounds. It's now or never for Riley I think. If Freeman indeed passes him up then Riley just isn't going to get much time at all..

That's kinda what I'd been hearing too. Freeman may take Rileys time and then some if he's as legit as it sounds. It's now or never for Riley I think. If Freeman indeed passes him up then Riley just isn't going to get much time at all..
Agree, his window may be closing if he doesn't come on strong early.

Nothing against the guy, but I just haven't seen anything the past few seasons to lead me to believe that this is the year he sees an increase in minutes. I hope I'm wrong and would beyond thrilled if he's came far enough along to make the rotation, but I just haven't seen anything out of him up to this point to think the time is now.

As always, pulling for every Hawk on the team

Just want to see the most qualified starting and reserves on the floor

Until the game is out of reach, hopefully because we are ahead by a large margin

When the game is out of hand, that is when the reserves get their time on the floor

It's All Good

A couple of my buddies and I had huge dreams for Ogundele and Mulvey on the court together. We wanted it so bad.

We've now pivoted to wanting Mulvey to lean into his image. We want rec specs and a head band. Maybe wrist bands. And quality minutes. Pure scrap in blocking shots and getting boards. Hustling down the court. Doing his little dance after getting fouled on a put back.

We don't get much fun as Hawkeye fans these days. I need this one.

A couple of my buddies and I had huge dreams for Ogundele and Mulvey on the court together. We wanted it so bad.

We've now pivoted to wanting Mulvey to lean into his image. We want rec specs and a head band. Maybe wrist bands. And quality minutes. Pure scrap in blocking shots and getting boards. Hustling down the court. Doing his little dance after getting fouled on a put back.

I would subscribe to this scenario. Still not sure why he didn't redshirt his first year here. He could have used it to bulk up his body. I have a feeling we will get some productive minutes from Mulvey this season.

I haven’t seen him play enough to make an evaluation. I seen enough of Luka as a freshmen to predict he would one day be a premier center in the Big Ten. Yeah, many thought I was crazy when I predicted that. Hey, maybe I am crazy, after all I keep coming back every Saturday to watch our offense in football. I guess I got an immune shot for stupid by watching and following every Lickliter basketball game. I did have to set up a direct hotline to the suicide prevention number during that time. God that was ugly!

Fran has been a big improvement over Lickliter. Having said that I am beginning to sense some impatience when it comes to his failures in the NCAA tournament though. I get it, but don’t forget how things turned out with Mr. Davis.

I haven’t seen him play enough to make an evaluation. I seen enough of Luka as a freshmen to predict he would one day be a premier center in the Big Ten. Yeah, many thought I was crazy when I predicted that. Hey, maybe I am crazy, after all I keep coming back every Saturday to watch our offense in football. I guess I got an immune shot for stupid by watching and following every Lickliter basketball game. I did have to set up a direct hotline to the suicide prevention number during that time. God that was ugly!

Fran has been a big improvement over Lickliter. Having said that I am beginning to sense some impatience when it comes to his failures in the NCAA tournament though. I get it, but don’t forget how things turned out with Mr. Davis.
Mac's recruiting seems to only be getting better, I'm on the side of patience.

I think Owen has sailed right past Riley. Think we will see continual growth in playing time for the two freshmen big boys.

Yeah, firing the winning basketball coach, now that's a good idea. Three words: Dr. Thomas Davis.

Nothing against the guy, but I just haven't seen anything the past few seasons to lead me to believe that this is the year he sees an increase in minutes. I hope I'm wrong and would beyond thrilled if he's came far enough along to make the rotation, but I just haven't seen anything out of him up to this point to think the time is now.
This is where I am. Also, I think seeing him come in, in wash up duty during the Quincy exhibition game tells you all you need to know. I hope he develops and there is a higher ceiling there, but I think Fran bolstered the athleticism on the team which doesn't help his cause, to be honest.

Don't forget big azz gawdy knee pads. I miss those.

Riley's real chance to get minutes at Iowa has come and gone. Freeman will start probably the next three seasons, barring injury or coaching change etc... Braun might be good enough as the primary reserve at the 5. Reserve big men don't seem a small commodity in the portal if Braun cannot handle the Big Ten. Demble can always dip into the post minutes if Iowa goes small.

Latest posts