Will Mitchell/Wadley next yr be like Daniels/Wadley this year?

So your one of those guys that has to always try and read between everyones lines and ignore what was wrote?
That's not what I wrote at all. If that's the case there's never be a freshman playing over an upper classmen ever right? And I could flip that around what's Mitchells body of work shown that he could be a bell cow? He hasn't done a whole lot either. More than Toks obviously but hardly enough to say for sure he's the next big thing. They'll all be there in spring ball and we'll see how it sorts out. Wadley will get as many touches as he can physically handle based on what's needed. Outside that it's a crap shoot.

Again. You can root for Toks over Mitchell. You just won't have facts on your side.

I realize Toks only got in on garbage plays but he didn't impress me running wide and not turning it up the field. I'm hoping Mitchell is chomping at the bit and ready to take on a bigger role,he can be a difference maker next year.

Always been a DMX fan. seemed well rounded...big, fast, vision, good hands, good pass protection. I am curious why such little playing time. I do hope he gets more chances next year.

Mr Toks shall be # 2 next yr I bet. I hope Wadley is the man and can handle 20 touches a game... I hope Mitchell be in the mix next year though he's a good player too. I just doubt he'll be the man..

We need to get Toren Young plays. He needs experience. I'd give him a chance to compete against Toks for 2nd fiddle.

We saw Wadley and Canzeri and Daniels in 2015 because, IMO, Daniels and Canzeri were injured for good portions of the season... Wadley was the next, next, man in.
We saw Wadley and Daniels in 2016, IMO, to prevent more injuries to Daniels (and prevent the propensity of Wadley fumbling and making sure there's a good chip on the blitzer?).

IMO the powers that matter in Iowa football, want one tailback to carry the load. That tailback has to be big enough, weigh enough and chip the blitzer to the QB. Speed, explosiveness and catch-ability? Well, that's not part of the criterion for deciding on that tailback. Those 3 characteristics in a tailback are just Davis frivolities.

Last edited:
We saw Wadley and Canzeri and Daniels in 2015 because, IMO, Daniels and Canzeri were injured for good portions of the season... Wadley was the next, next, man in.
We saw Wadley and Daniels in 2016, IMO, to prevent more injuries to Daniels (and prevent the propensity of Wadley fumbling and making sure there's a good chip on the blitzer?).

IMO the powers that matter in Iowa football, want one tailback to carry the load. That tailback has to be big enough, weigh enough and chip the blitzer to the QB. Speed, explosiveness and catch-ability? Well, that's not part of the criterion for deciding on that tailback. Those 3 characteristics in a tailback are just Davis frivolities.

Most coaches would probably want an E. Elliott type in the backfield. That would make everything easier. 225lb bolt of lightning. It's hard to come by if you aren't at the top of the food chain in college. I think the staff (KF) has done a good job of finding smaller explosive backs over the years (Russell, Sims, Canzeri, Wadley) along with bigger guys (Young, Greene, Coker, Daniels).

I'll take this to mean you are as tired as me of seeing backups outperform starters.
No. This is a tirade against Iowa coaches. Tired of Iowa coaches having the same *** game plan no matter the personnel, no matter the game situation. Tired of Iowa coaches forcing players to conform to their philosophy no matter the situation.

Most coaches would probably want an E. Elliott type in the backfield. That would make everything easier. 225lb bolt of lightning. It's hard to come by if you aren't at the top of the food chain in college. I think the staff (KF) has done a good job of finding smaller explosive backs over the years (Russell, Sims, Canzeri, Wadley) along with bigger guys (Young, Greene, Coker, Daniels).
The problem with KF is he wants one tailback to shoulder the load. Now, that tailback doesn't necessarily have to be fast or catch passes but has to be bulky, can chip the blitzer to the QB and can take time off the clock.

Finally, I see all that as an irony. Some HN posters/geniuses :p (and most likely KF) complain about the offense, incessantly, but would rather have a grinding, less productive and minutes wasting running back to an explosive, pass catching and quick strike running back. See, taking time off the clock while on offense makes the offense less efficient yet these guys like to complain about the inefficiency of Iowa's offense. .

Last edited:
First off, I am interviewing for the co-coordinator position after the bowl game, and you always want every aspect to get better.

Secondly, Harmon had 900 yards rushing and 900 yards receiving in 1984. I'm thinking of using the receiving skillz of Mi/Wa much more next year. So by using healthy doses of both I anticipate our running game and our receiving game will improve.

Give me your input on how we should use our skill players in 2017? I'm an open-minded coach so I'd also like your feedback on how we can improve our WR play? I see our TEs doing more next year relative to this year. Do you share my vision?

It's all about the horizontal passing game, Coach!

Not really. Efficiency is about points per possession, not points per time.
What are the chances of getting points with a quick strike running back compared to a bulldozer running back or ball possession offense? The favorable odds go to the quick strike running back, the quick strike offense.Only need a few plays. Don't have to worry about mistakes, penalties and bad play calls.

Side note: Wisconsin is ahead of Penn State 28-21 in the B1G championship game. Those 3 touchdowns Penn State scored were on big plays. If an offense doesn't have big play personnel on offense and/or plays aren't called to take advantage of their quick strike play ability, quick strikes don't occur. Figure it out, just once., .

What are the chances of getting points with a quick strike running back compared to a bulldozer running back or ball possession offense? The favorable odds go to the quick strike running back, the quick strike offense.Only need a few plays. Don't have to worry about mistakes, penalties and bad play calls.

Side note: Wisconsin is ahead of Penn State 28-21 in the B1G championship game. Those 3 touchdowns Penn State scored were on big plays. If an offense doesn't have big play personnel on offense and/or plays aren't called to take advantage of their quick strike play ability, quick strikes don't occur. Figure it out, just once., .

Good point. I agree that the likelihood of scoring on a possession increases if you have the capability of scoring via one or two big plays.

Daniels got more carries because he weighs 50 more pounds than Wadley. Clement weights 40-50 lbs more than Wadley. Saquon Barkley weights 40-50 lbs more than Wadley.

Why do you think KF harps on the weights so much? It is because if he had more mass to him, then he could take more hits and be used on the field more. If you think it is smart to run a 180 lbs RB 250+ times a season you are beyond stupid.

Daniels got more carries because he weighs 50 more pounds than Wadley. Clement weights 40-50 lbs more than Wadley. Saquon Barkley weights 40-50 lbs more than Wadley.

Why do you think KF harps on the weights so much? It is because if he had more mass to him, then he could take more hits and be used on the field more. If you think it is smart to run a 180 lbs RB 250+ times a season you are beyond stupid.
I expected as much from an offensive genius, like yourself (and KF).o_O

See, Wadley doesn't run to contact like, for example, Daniels. He avoids contact. Compare Wadley's amount of time on the IR to Daniels then get back to me.

Last edited:
I expected as much from an offensive genius, like yourself.o_O

Dude, you literally know nothing about football if you think a 180 lbs running back should be carrying the ball 250+ times a year.

Wanna make a bet Homer about who has more carries vs Florida? I will bet that Wadley gets more carries as the matchup is better for him than Daniels, and also with a month to rest, and then the offseason, keeping him healthy won't be a concern.

Latest posts