Will KF ever change the offense scheme?

DBAHawkFan

Ever since 2010, our scheme has gotten more and more predictable. Specifically the running game. The stretch zone does not work against teams with 9 people in the box. Teams have also figured out how to get Iowa to run the play, by disguising a defense in order to get the QB to audible into the run, which appears to be 99.9999999999% of the time. Or better put, it's done enough that the odds are in the defense's favor to play the run to short side.

Teams literally point to the spot where the RB is going to before the snap. It's embarrassing to watch, let alone the worst offense, @#% boring.

Why can our coaches not see this? Why is it always blaming the players for not executing? 6 guys cannot block 9. And 5 guys cannot block 6/7 on these blitzes. Which is another scheming issues. Defenses know that if they show blitz, that the Iowa QB is going to check down. A few times we have burned teams with the TE up the seam, but obviously doesn't work enough to get us more points.

I don't know what attacking style of offense BF envisioned before the season, but we don't attack. We try 1-2 deep balls a game. If Stanley is to get better, he needs to try more. Or maybe instead of 50 yard throws, we try a few 20-25 come back or crossing patterns first? Where is the Play Action? Where are quick slants instead of sideways throws against blitzing? Of course our OL has to try and block 8 guys in order for there to be time

I'm sure BF may want to try and mimic he New England offense, but it's not gelling with his dad's idea of a running game.

Guess it's just frustrating to watch year after year of a offense that doesn't appear to know what it's doing. Or an offense that is already behind the 8 ball because the defense knows what's coming.

The only option is for KF to get out of the offense entirely. Allow his coaches to scheme what they think is appropriate instead of ramming our RB's into brick walls for 3 Q before trying to open up.

Ever since 2010, our scheme has gotten more and more predictable. Specifically the running game. The stretch zone does not work against teams with 9 people in the box. Teams have also figured out how to get Iowa to run the play, by disguising a defense in order to get the QB to audible into the run, which appears to be 99.9999999999% of the time. Or better put, it's done enough that the odds are in the defense's favor to play the run to short side.

Teams literally point to the spot where the RB is going to before the snap. It's embarrassing to watch, let alone the worst offense, @#% boring.

Why can our coaches not see this? Why is it always blaming the players for not executing? 6 guys cannot block 9. And 5 guys cannot block 6/7 on these blitzes. Which is another scheming issues. Defenses know that if they show blitz, that the Iowa QB is going to check down. A few times we have burned teams with the TE up the seam, but obviously doesn't work enough to get us more points.

I don't know what attacking style of offense BF envisioned before the season, but we don't attack. We try 1-2 deep balls a game. If Stanley is to get better, he needs to try more. Or maybe instead of 50 yard throws, we try a few 20-25 come back or crossing patterns first? Where is the Play Action? Where are quick slants instead of sideways throws against blitzing? Of course our OL has to try and block 8 guys in order for there to be time

I'm sure BF may want to try and mimic he New England offense, but it's not gelling with his dad's idea of a running game.

Guess it's just frustrating to watch year after year of a offense that doesn't appear to know what it's doing. Or an offense that is already behind the 8 ball because the defense knows what's coming.

The only option is for KF to get out of the offense entirely. Allow his coaches to scheme what they think is appropriate instead of ramming our RB's into brick walls for 3 Q before trying to open up.

You didn't need to write that entire post. Your question was enough.

By the way, the answer is NO!

Brian Ferentz may have mistakenly believed that he would have the leverage to get his dad to open up and play a more attacking style offense within the pro style scheme he likes to run. All his comments since taking over the OC position and the nonconference games pointed in that direction. When we hit conference play Kirk imposed how he wants us to play and it wasted a tremendous defensive effort last week against Penn State. Brian may not have made the best career move playing the succession game with his dad but time will tell.

The audibles keep getting brought up and I don't think people understand that you are not seeing a pass play changed to a run ever. It is always a direction change of an already called run play. This was another stupid KOK thing that has returned. Any defense that sees Iowa check anything at the line knows a run is coming. Calling a pass and doing a fake audible could trick a defense but that would be too sneaky for the Ferentz clan.

The audibles keep getting brought up and I don't think people understand that you are not seeing a pass play changed to a run ever. It is always a direction change of an already called run play. This was another stupid KOK thing that has returned. Any defense that sees Iowa check anything at the line knows a run is coming. Calling a pass and doing a fake audible could trick a defense but that would be too sneaky for the Ferentz clan.

This is correct, and maddening. I don't think we have audibled to a pass play since 2004. Every single team knows this, and there is 10 in the box at snap...

Maddening.

Brian Ferentz has absolutely no business being the offensive coordinator. Only at Iowa would our coach bring in an experienced OC, then make him the line coach, and promote an offensive line coach, which happens to be his son with zero OC experience, to be the OC. It's working out really well. MSU is maybe an average team, and sonny boy couldn't muster up a decent gameplan against them. Bowling Green rushed for twice as many yards as we did.

Great post. A good offensive coaching staff would use D's aggressiveness against and keying on AW to punish them. They would do hard fakes and throw the ball. Then turn AW loose on wheel routes and screens. Then once the D is in their heels, give them a heavy dose of runs.

I would love to see Iowa play an entire first quarter and not give Wadley a single carry. Just PA fakes. The opposing DC would probably faint

I'm waiting for hell to freeze over to buy my first bridge on a nice piece of swamp land and enjoy it all by flying my pig.

Wait...what was your question? Something changing???

Not only is a run coming it's the same DAMN run! With the same lame result loss of 2-3 yards. It's pathetic football.

Averaging just 1 yard on first down would have been an improvement...

Averaging 2-3 likely wins the game.

Bizarre. And terrible.

Worse yet you can see that D is jumping into a set waiting for Stanley to call that audible so they can dictate where the play is going. And we seem to be mystified by this approach.

Worse yet you can see that D is jumping into a set waiting for Stanley to call that audible so they can dictate where the play is going. And we seem to be mystified by this approach.

It literally would be better to audible to a qb dive than what we are doing. Get 1-2 yards, instead of -2.

If Iowa football moves any slower, I swear they'd be going in reverse, I swear to God they would....KF has no intention to change, period, and now the reins have been handed down to BF and after 5 games I continue to drink through it, b/c it's not getting better

I think you have to ask yourself these questions:
1. He brings in an OC makes him the OL coach?
2. Takes the OL coach promotes him to OC having NEVER EVER play called games at any level even Jr. High why? (Ok so we know that nepotism is the answer there). Now given the debacle that was Greg Davis and he called plays for how many years and still didn't know his head from a hole in the ground where does this team go?
3. We were led to believe that the 2 QB's were neck and neck though we all know that Wiegers will only see the field if Stanley gets hurt. Why wouldn't we play him in the 4th quarter in both the Wyoming game AND NT and first get him experience IN CASE Stanley gets hurt?

I'm mystified by the shear amount of time we go first down less. I mean we fail to make first downs for entire quarters!

But how else are we going to set up the 1-2 counters we run, or 1-2play action deep balls that Stanley can't complete anyway?

2016-11-07-1478530216-8410392-HELLFreezesOver.gif

I should have started my rant off with the question is rhetorical. It will never change.

I'm just so annoyed by watching BORING PREDICTABLE football every single Saturday.

In another thread, Jon alluded to KF presser where KF blamed the shift from last years offense under GD, to the terminology of BF offense. Apparently it takes all of spring ball, summer and fall camps, and five weeks into the season to figure out the offense.

Do other teams struggle when they make a change in offense? Didn't WI go from BB, to Gary Anderson, to Chryst and they haven't missed a beat. Even WI made a switch from 4-3 to 3-4 on defense and didn't drop.

The fact is Brian got this job because of his dad. He had ZERO qualifications to call plays for a division one program. And we are seeing this lack of experience now, mixed in with the absolute crap that is KF football. So far this offense looks as bad as the 2012 offense.

If anything, going from GD WR read offense, to what i assume is more traditional based set routes with hot reads for blitz pick ups, EASIER.