Will Iowa be the most overrated 7-1 team?

Realistically 6-7 wins with a better SOS.

Considering the stark difference between the Iowa team that started the year and the one entering the bye week I don't think anyone can make that statement yet.

The Iowa team that we saw in Ames? I agree with you. And 6-7 wins wouldn't have been a gimme.

The Iowa team we've seen develop over the past two games is a significant departure from the team on the field against Iowa State. The question is, is that team an abberation that will disappear when we hit the conference schedule or is that the "real" Iowa team this year? In my opinion that question can't yet be answered. But if that is who Iowa really is then they are better than a 6-7 win team.

I'd agree I'm sure we'd be ranked, but would depend upon the outcomes of each game, did we win in convincing fashion or did we have to come from behind or barely pull out the wins, if they are quality wins then yes we'd be ranked and much higher, if they are ugly wins then I can see a lower ranking.

Given that we take care of business against a run of upcoming cream puffs, we might be the most overrated 7-1 team without any quality wins. It will be interesting to see if we get ranked before the Michigan game.

Penn State: Should win as they have no offense (killed by Bama, near loss to Temple)

Northwestern: Just lost to Army

Indiana: Just lost to N. Texas

Minnesota: Couldn't beat Western Iowa CC right now

I think we start 7-1 with this weak SOS and finish the last four 2-2. 9 wins would be pretty solid after what we witnessed against ISU and the first half vs. Pitt.

I am not worried if we are over rated or not. I would love to be 7-1 at this point. Penn State still scares me... we have had their number lately, they will be up for this one. I think we take em though!

I'll be thrilled if we're 7-1. I understand PSU has troubles, but that is definitely not a gimme for this Iowa team. Beating Northwestern...I'll believe it when I see it. I've been to those games the last few years.

I'll be really happy if the hawks get to 7-1. "Over-rated" or not.

ULM started the 2nd half with a 13 play 71 yd. drive. We can not allow that to big ten teams. When the defense gets better, I think 7-1 is possible. Let's wait until PSU game to evaluate. I'm glad the offense is ave. 37 points a game.

Given that we take care of business against a run of upcoming cream puffs, we might be the most overrated 7-1 team without any quality wins. It will be interesting to see if we get ranked before the Michigan game.

Penn State: Should win as they have no offense (killed by Bama, near loss to Temple)
No offense, but good defense. We have a shaky defense, but a good offense. Will be interesting to see

I'll take this as a win after we actually win this game.

We've nearly lost to these guys two years in a row. In 2009, we could argue that there were several factors that required a 28 point 4th quarter, to comeback for the win, but still doesn't change the fact that the Hoosiers were beating us at home. Last year, we needed a dropped pass in the endzone to win.

That's what we thought last year before we lost Floyd.

I think we start 7-1 with this weak SOS and finish the last four 2-2. 9 wins would be pretty solid after what we witnessed against ISU and the first half vs. Pitt.

The chances that we get a pretty good record with this terrible schedule is pretty high, sure, but with this team, I think I've stopped chalking up wins before final gun. Perhaps this year, with some aggressive play that'll be different, and we'll actually beat teams we should, but who knows?

But if we are sitting at 7-1, etc, then yes, we will be one of the most overrated 7-1 teams, considering we play some of the worst teams in the country.

I would love to be an overrated 7-1 team.

Does anyone really care if people think we are overrated? It eventually has to happen on the field regardless of ratings at the time. If we are 7-1, a huge stretch at this point, we will face Michigan then Michigan State. One of those teams will be legitimate in my humble opinion. I'd say it's Michigan if Brady Hoke has anything to do with it.

Pretenders are always flushed out (see Michigan State 2010).

I think it would be one of Kirk Ferentz's best coaching jobs if this team were 7-1. If they can somehow find a pass rush against a good offensive line, well, I think it's very possible to a one loss team at that juncture. Our back seven appears solid and improving quickly as a cohesive unit.

LMU is not a cupcake either. Their offensive line had 94 starts and significant experience. FSU and TCU didn't push them around either. They had 19 of the 22 starters back from last year. They were athletic, but Iowa exploited their weakness, and our offense played well.

now that is a silly thought a overrated 10-2 team LMAO, we lose to a team that gets Jacked to the max in ISU, then people think we will be overrated with a 10-2 record, this is why people want to get ISU off the schedule, win oh well we were supposed to, lose the sky is falling, overrated no matter how we end the season

Penn St will be absolutely lusting to crush Iowa. The ''Iowa'' curse has replaced the ''Michigan'' curse in Nittanyland as a compelling reason to consider leaving the Big Ten for the ACC. I have Iowa losing that game,but bouncing back and winning the next 6 before dropping that last game to Nebraska. That 6-2 mark will win the Legends,tho,and get Iowa to Indy to face Wisky or OSU,where Iowa will have a punchers chance of getting that Rose Bowl bid we seek.

Are they having another revenge game like in '09? I hope so, i liked that outcome:D

Oh and who cares if were overrated, as long as were rated!

now that is a silly thought a overrated 10-2 team LMAO, we lose to a team that gets Jacked to the max in ISU, then people think we will be overrated with a 10-2 record, this is why people want to get ISU off the schedule, win oh well we were supposed to, lose the sky is falling, overrated no matter how we end the season

I'm speaking moreso regarding the SOS than the ISU game explicitly.The performance against Pitt and our lack of defense in every game would not suggest this team should have a shot at 9-10 wins, yet I think it is very realistic.

I would never count Penn State as a sure win. I don't care if they don't have an offense or not. If we're 7-1 with wins over Northwestern, Penn State, and Minnesota (Floyd). I will be really happy. Over-rated or not. I'm sure we'll be pretty high on our team if that's really where we are sitting after 8 games.

I hope so! If we're the most overrated 7-1 team, that means we're 7-1. That's a huge accomplishment from where most fans/posters thought they'd be after the ISU game. Bring on the critics!

yes.... and all the clone fans that post on this board won't be afraid to point it out after they have lost a couple games straight.

Persa's going to hang 500 yards on us

QFT!! As will Denard and maybe even Gray (depending on how Kill turns out over the course of the season).

Until Morris and Miller can contain the middle of the field and Nielsen can set an edge and wrap up his tackles those teams with quick / mobile QB's who love the shifty RB release valve will abuse the underneath of this defense. (ULM made Nielsen look silly all day and had Morris' head spinning -- suPer-sa and shoelaces are salivating.)

As of today, this defense, against B1G talent with any spread tendencies, will not sniff 7-1.

You do hafta kinda chuckle - a couple weeks ago, most of the board was ready to put KF & Co. on the next train out of town, and now we're nervous about what our Top 25 ranking (if any) will be once we hit 7-1.

The Interwebz is a craaaaaazy place, man.

Latest posts