Will Harbaugh survive?

Ding, ding, ding this is the correct answer. Come get me when Ryan Day takes an NFL gig and OSU comes calling. Campbell's kids are young enough where they can get over the attachment to Ames and the wifey certainly can.

Yeah two million more $$$ a year or maybe 3Mil really adds up after 5 seasons.

Michigan needs to up their recruiting to get some good Off and Def linemen. They went smaller and quicker when Richrod was there and they havent been the same in the trenches for so long. You dont win in the Big 10 without linemen

Campbell probably still has a lot of recruiting connections in OHio etc

I'm holding my praise of Campbell until I see how he does without Purdy at the helm. Things could change pretty quickly
Yup and that's why you strike while the iron is hot as far as leaving goes. Is it easier to maintain a middle tier program at a high level? Or strike gold once with it? Maintaining is a biotch. We don't have to look far to know that. It's why I'm surprised guys like him and Brohm didn't jump ship after last yr. Those gigs aren't destination jobs for most outsiders. But good luck maintaining programs like that at any kind of high level... If programs like Texas and NE can't get up off the mat and stay up then what makes ISU and Purdue think they can?

Yup and that's why you strike while the iron is hot as far as leaving goes. Is it easier to maintain a middle tier program at a high level? Or strike gold once with it? Maintaining is a biotch. We don't have to look far to know that. It's why I'm surprised guys like him and Brohm didn't jump ship after last yr. Those gigs aren't destination jobs for most outsiders. But good luck maintaining programs like that at any kind of high level... If programs like Texas and NE can't get up off the mat and stay up then what makes ISU and Purdue think they can?

Brohm got like $8 million a year out of Purdue and I think he's got a lofty guarantee. That is basically the same as hitting a winning PowerBall ticket before the jackpot hits astronomical levels. He's set for life. I'd take that deal.

Brohm got like $8 million a year out of Purdue and I think he's got a lofty guarantee. That is basically the same as hitting a winning PowerBall ticket before the jackpot hits astronomical levels. He's set for life. I'd take that deal.
Yeah that tilted the table that direction quite a bit so there's that too. But I bet Louisville and some others woulda happily paid him quite a bit. But that's what it takes for the Purdues (and Iowas) of the world to keep good coaches. If they are serious they gotta be willing to 'overpay' the market to compete.

Yeah that tilted the table that direction quite a bit so there's that too. But I bet Louisville and some others woulda happily paid him quite a bit. But that's what it takes for the Purdues (and Iowas) of the world to keep good coaches. If they are serious they gotta be willing to 'overpay' the market to compete.

Louisville ain't got that kind of coin. Neither does Iowa State. Being a Big Ten or SEC school with a big stadium and tens of thousands of forced donations to procure season tickets brings certain advantages. The TV money and gate are just gargantuan at those places. The whole Pac 10 aside from USC and Oregon if Uncle Phil breaks out the checkbook and fringe Big 8 and ACC programs are iced out of discussions once those numbers get tossed around. That's why Sparty can waltz in and take Colorado's coach.

Louisville ain't got that kind of coin. Neither does Iowa State. Being a Big Ten or SEC school with a big stadium and tens of thousands of forced donations to procure season tickets brings certain advantages. The TV money and gate are just gargantuan at those places. The whole Pac 10 aside from USC and Oregon if Uncle Phil breaks out the checkbook and fringe Big 8 and ACC programs are iced out of discussions once those numbers get tossed around. That's why Sparty can waltz in and take Colorado's coach.
Colorado was/is so jilted over that too... Mostly because of timing over it all but yeah money talks and BS walks.

I don't see what Matt Campbell has to gain by going elsewhere. Job security is priceless, especially when you have four kids like he does. He's already locked in at $3.7M/yr (now $3.4M due to the pandemic) through 2025. You can bet he'll probably get a raise in the near future if this year's team finishes strong. He'll leave ISU on his own terms as long as his teams have any sort of sustained success. He's only 41 years old, so he could easily coach at ISU for 10+ more years before moving on to a blue blood school or even the NFL before retiring for good.

The only opportunity I could see Matt Campbell suddenly abandoning ISU for is the head coaching job at Ohio State (since he's from Ohio). I don't think anyone would blame him if he did. Obviously, Ryan Day is doing just fine there and probably isn't going anywhere anytime soon so that's not likely to happen.

Barring a catastrophic failure within the next year or two, I have a hard time believing Matt Campbell won't be at ISU at least through the end of his current contract.

I agree with the monetary aspect of your post.

However, coaches at this level for the most part have huge egos and think they can put their Midas touch on anything.
And/or they're just bored at where they are.

Thus, the seemingly head-scratching upward-mobility/lateral moves one sees in NCAA coaching.

$3.4 mil/year in Ames?....and you never have to buy a beer/meal again, and a very forgiving/embracing fan base.....are you kidding me? I'd be staying put.

I don't see what Matt Campbell has to gain by going elsewhere. Job security is priceless, especially when you have four kids like he does. He's already locked in at $3.7M/yr (now $3.4M due to the pandemic) through 2025. You can bet he'll probably get a raise in the near future if this year's team finishes strong. He'll leave ISU on his own terms as long as his teams have any sort of sustained success. He's only 41 years old, so he could easily coach at ISU for 10+ more years before moving on to a blue blood school or even the NFL before retiring for good.

The only opportunity I could see Matt Campbell suddenly abandoning ISU for is the head coaching job at Ohio State (since he's from Ohio). I don't think anyone would blame him if he did. Obviously, Ryan Day is doing just fine there and probably isn't going anywhere anytime soon so that's not likely to happen.

Barring a catastrophic failure within the next year or two, I have a hard time believing Matt Campbell won't be at ISU at least through the end of his current contract.

Wish I could give you a logical reason, but there's just something about him. Don't know... I just don't like him!

$3.4 mil/year in Ames?....and you never have to buy a beer/meal again, and a very forgiving/embracing fan base.....are you kidding me? I'd be staying put.

The ISU fan base is not forgiving. The faintest taste of a season that isn't a turd mixed into a punch bowl gets them dreaming of going toe to toe with Texas and Oklahoma every year. If you're the ISU coach and you bring in multiple NFL level QBs and then miss on the next few classes, the fans will have pitchforks and torches ready to disembowel you after you have a couple of mediocre seasons. And that cash is under half of what a top job would pay.

Latest posts