Will Harbaugh survive?

Honestly I've come around to thinking neither Texas or Michigan will do anything this year. Its 2020, partial season, disrupted preparation, nothing normal AND The economic issues that every U is dealing with. Spending 10s of millions on buy outs and new staffs just does not make sense this year.

All these guys tell the rubes they are in it for the long haul. You have to stroke their egos. Once he starts getting offers with a 7 or 8 handle on the front at blue blood programs or in the NFL and turns a slew of them down, then I will believe he is in it for the long haul.

Ding, ding, ding this is the correct answer. Come get me when Ryan Day takes an NFL gig and OSU comes calling. Campbell's kids are young enough where they can get over the attachment to Ames and the wifey certainly can.

Campbell will never leave ISU. He's made it pretty clear that he's there for the long haul. As long as they keep going to bowl games and don't start sucking again for multiple seasons, they won't chase him out of town either. He's the most successful coach ISU has had in recent history, and currently has them in a position that even Dan McCarney never got them to.

I don't know who Michigan should go after. It's possible Harbaugh might get a pass for this season due to the circumstances, but I think Michigan fans are ready to be done with him.

So he's a man with small dreams and limited vision.

Ding, ding, ding this is the correct answer. Come get me when Ryan Day takes an NFL gig and OSU comes calling. Campbell's kids are young enough where they can get over the attachment to Ames and the wifey certainly can.

I'll bet he has a good agent who will negotiate a provision for Ames water to be shipped to his new house as well. People sleep on that Ames water, but it is the real deal!

Michigan is a brand name in the sport, but in reality they are a 9-3/8-4 type program and with the exception of '97 always have been.
Maybe they have to accept the reality that they are a 8-9 win team. Nebraska should have learned that lesson.

There was comment during the PSU-MIch game that Harbaugh has 1 yr left. Calendar is a tough spot for Mich Admin. Signing day is Dec 18 ??
Some Mich Alum/$$$/Admin would probably hope for an NFL job to take him. But those jobs don't open til Jan. So tough spot.....

2hrs after game - Detroit Lions fire Matt Patricia & GM. Harbaugh to Lions would take a lot of pressure off all.

Also saw where Harbaugh brothers have earned over $100M combined for coaching.

Campbell will never leave ISU. He's made it pretty clear that he's there for the long haul. As long as they keep going to bowl games and don't start sucking again for multiple seasons, they won't chase him out of town either. He's the most successful coach ISU has had in recent history, and currently has them in a position that even Dan McCarney never got them to.

I don't know who Michigan should go after. It's possible Harbaugh might get a pass for this season due to the circumstances, but I think Michigan fans are ready to be done with him.
I get he says that he wants to stay in Ames...he cares for his players like all good coaches, but if he would get an offer of say $8M/yr for 6-7 year deal at a premier football school...

(Cue up "East bound & Down")

99.9% of coaches would do the same thing. Time will tell.

I get he says that he wants to stay in Ames...he cares for his players like all good coaches, but if he would get an offer of say $8M/yr for 6-7 year deal at a premier football school...

(Cue up "East bound & Down")

99.9% of coaches would do the same thing. Time will tell.
The only guys who aren't going to leave are guys coaching at their alma mater where it is their absolute dream job.

In all seriousness, if I was OSU I'd make a run at Campbell just to keep him away from Michigan. I'm not convinced Day is that good. If Campbell is selling the Michigan brand to his contacts in Ohio, he could be decent. To win at Michigan you have to (a) lock down in state recruiting in Michigan, (b) beat OSU head to head on two or three OSU recruits in Ohio, and (c) scout and lock down every Ohio recruit who just misses the OSU cut who is really good. Michigan has let ungodly talent leak out of the state or go to MSU and they are getting out scouted and out recruited by programs like Iowa, MSU and Wisconsin in Ohio. Michigan obviously should recruit top guys they can find nationally, but their biggest issue since Lloyd Carr left is that they have gotten their asses kicked in regional recruiting because the coaches are all out trying to find stars in California or Texas. There is plenty of talent if they stay local and are good at scouting and just swing for the fences on a few game changers out of the region.
Doubtful he'll go to SCum. Campbell is an Ohio-son through and through.

Born and raised in Massillon, played @ Mount Union.

First coaching job was @ Bowling Green, went back to Mount Union, then U of Toledo.

He turned down the chance to coach under UM @ O$U to stay at Toledo.

Hard for all the Scarlett and Gray to suddenly bleed Maize and Blue IMO.

Buying the kool aid he's selling ISU fans I take it? Maybe he is maybe he isn't but he'll have to prove it to me. It's just the nature of the biz and ISU isn't a destination job. Hell the Mayor left em high and dry. If the right gig he'd rather have opens up be it the NFL or college I think he'll jump. Is that Michigan? PSU? USC? He'll have some legit options if not after this yr the next. Does he eye the NFL at all? I just highly doubt he'll be a lifer at ISU.

Doubtful he'll go to SCum. Campbell is an Ohio-son through and through.

Born and raised in Massillon, played @ Mount Union.

First coaching job was @ Bowling Green, went back to Mount Union, then U of Toledo.

He turned down the chance to coach under UM @ O$U to stay at Toledo.

Hard for all the Scarlett and Gray to suddenly bleed Maize and Blue IMO.
Bo Schembechler's resume reads almost exactly the same.

Some folks love to join the enemy, and I doubt the OSU job is coming open soon. Cleveland is an important recruiting ground for UM, and Toledo is also much closer to Ann Arbor than Columbus.

Michigan is a phenomenal job, and there is no way Campbell turns it down.

Does he eye the NFL at all? I just highly doubt he'll be a lifer at ISU.
I hate MC but he's not dumb enough to go to the NFL.

College is more money, waaaaaay more job security, way fewer drama queens, and you're not coaching players who make more money than you with matching egos. There was a rash of college coaches going to the pros in the 90s and more often than not it doesn't work. Guys like Saban, Spurrier, etc. found out that pro and college ball are so different that you could probably call them different sports entirely.

At a P5 school the head coach is the president and CEO of the entire program and as long as you aren't out getting hammered in public or crashing your motorcycle with your mistress on the back you don't really have anyone to answer to. You've got complete and total control from top to bottom. If your star NFL player wants to show up to meetings late and start shit during practice what are you going to do? He makes 10 times the money you do and he knows it.

In the NFL you have megalomaniacal owners, GMs, and players to deal with, and if you don't shit Tiffany cuff links from day one you're going to get a one-way bus ticket out of town. I'd argue that in the NFL, the head coach has a much lesser role in the outcome of wins and losses, but they're also the first ones to get fired. The guys who have a ton of sustained success in the pros are ones who came up through that system generally. The two different games don't translate.

Last edited:
Some folks love to join the enemy, and I doubt the OSU job is coming open soon. Cleveland is an important recruiting ground for UM, and Toledo is also much closer to Ann Arbor than Columbus.

Michigan is a phenomenal job, and there is no way Campbell turns it down.
True, but, with a twist. SCum wasn't Bshem's first choice. Wisconsin was.

Wisconsin fooled around with him during the interview process and he was PO'd....and some say he took the SCum job out of spite towards Wisconsin. So he went to SCum and lost only once to Wisconsin during his tenure.

Interestingly, BSchem made so much noise about how he felt he was treated by Bucky that it convinced a certain Bob Knight not to accept the Wisconsin BB job in 1968.

I'm holding my praise of Campbell until I see how he does without Purdy at the helm. Things could change pretty quickly

College is more money, waaaaaay more job security, way fewer drama queens, and you're not coaching players who make more money than you with matching egos. There was a rash of college coaches going to the pros in the 90s and more often than not it doesn't work. Guys like Saban, Spurrier, etc. found out that pro and college ball are so different that you could probably call them different sports entirely.

At a P5 school the head coach is the president and CEO of the entire program and as long as you aren't out getting hammered in public or crashing your motorcycle with your mistress on the back you don't really have anyone to answer to. You've got complete and total control from top to bottom. If your star NFL player wants to show up to meetings late and start shit during practice what are you going to do? He makes 10 times the money you do and he knows it.

In the NFL you have megalomaniacal owners, GMs, and players to deal with, and if you don't shit Tiffany cuff links from day one you're going to get a one-way bus ticket out of town. I'd argue that in the NFL, the head coach has a much lesser role in the outcome of wins and losses, but they're also the first ones to get fired. The guys who have a ton of sustained success in the pros are ones who came up through that system generally. The two different games don't translate.
Yeah what's inside his head as far as priorities & goals is what decides his next move or not. What you said about the NFL is dead on. I suppose the fact you're dealing with less guys and don't have to recruit would make the NFL somewhat enticing if that's your preference. But it's obvious why KF stuck around Iowa all these years and a lot of those factors are it. I don't think he was all that serious during the Jacksonville rumors. He kicked the tires for kicking thems sake for contract negotiations with Iowa and that was it.

True, but, with a twist. SCum wasn't Bshem's first choice. Wisconsin was.

Wisconsin fooled around with him during the interview process and he was PO'd....and some say he took the SCum job out of spite towards Wisconsin. So he went to SCum and lost only once to Wisconsin during his tenure.

Interestingly, BSchem made so much noise about how he felt he was treated by Bucky that it convinced a certain Bob Knight not to accept the Wisconsin BB job in 1968.
100% true story. Bucky could have had them both.

It's interesting. Saban, Spurrier, and Bill O'Brien flamed out.

Pete Carroll and Jimmy Johnson did pretty well. Barry Switzer had a brief shining moment with a Johnson-built team that not even he could screw up. But even Carroll muffed his first opportunity, which opened the door for some dude named Belichick.

The one who has surprised me is Kliff Kingsbury. Now that he has a quarterback he's starting to turn it on in the desert.

The jump used to be more common, and those who made it had more success. Don Coryell, John McKay and Dick Vermiel immediately come to mind.

It's interesting. Saban, Spurrier, and Bill O'Brien flamed out.

Pete Carroll and Jimmy Johnson did pretty well. Barry Switzer had a brief shining moment with a Johnson-built team that not even he could screw up. But even Carroll muffed his first opportunity, which opened the door for some dude named Belichick.

The one who has surprised me is Kliff Kingsbury. Now that he has a quarterback he's starting to turn it on in the desert.

The jump used to be more common, and those who made it had more success. Don Coryell, John McKay and Dick Vermiel immediately come to mind.
The problem with getting an NFL job is that at least 90% of the time there is an opening it is a tire fire situation brought about by a bad front office, bad drafts, bad roster moves, cap problems, etc. Your success comes down almost wholly to whether or not your team finds a miracle-worker QB in those early years and is decent enough at other positions to show early improvement. No coach can overcome $25 million of cap space spent on someone like JaMarcus Russell and three consecutive high first round picks in prior years who didn't pan out. And in the NFL, the bar is immediately either playoffs or the Super Bowl. Oh you got lucky and had a good run in your third year, well you better win, or at least make, the Super Bowl in your 4th year. No excuses. Injuries? Holdouts? Three blown calls by refs that kept you out of the playoffs? Doesn't matter.

Yea, we'll see when the Michigan staff shows up with a briefcase of money and a contract offer with a blank check.........

The problem with getting an NFL job is that at least 90% of the time there is an opening it is a tire fire situation brought about by a bad front office, bad drafts, bad roster moves, cap problems, etc. Your success comes down almost wholly to whether or not your team finds a miracle-worker QB in those early years and is decent enough at other positions to show early improvement. No coach can overcome $25 million of cap space spent on someone like JaMarcus Russell and three consecutive high first round picks in prior years who didn't pan out. And in the NFL, the bar is immediately either playoffs or the Super Bowl. Oh you got lucky and had a good run in your third year, well you better win, or at least make, the Super Bowl in your 4th year. No excuses. Injuries? Holdouts? Three blown calls by refs that kept you out of the playoffs? Doesn't matter.
This is a startlingly accurate depiction of the NFL.

Latest posts