Will Harbaugh survive?

nothing will happen until after seasons' end... something is wrong at UM. He's an accomplished coach. I just don't get why they underperform

I have to wonder why they can't get the same level of recruiting as OSU? Everything about the situation at Michigan seems off.

Something is not adding up. I don't think the current Michigan leaders care about football. Harbaugh figured it out and his heart just isn't in it. Plus, they won't renew his contract.

He's gone. Will go back to the NFL.

If he leaves, I gotta think Matt Campbell would be target #1. Cambell coached in Toledo (like an hour from Ann Arbor), and he has proven he can rebuild a program's culture and win against upper-tier talent.

If he leaves, I gotta think Matt Campbell would be target #1. Cambell coached in Toledo (like an hour from Ann Arbor), and he has proven he can rebuild a program's culture and win against upper-tier talent.
In all seriousness, if I was OSU I'd make a run at Campbell just to keep him away from Michigan. I'm not convinced Day is that good. If Campbell is selling the Michigan brand to his contacts in Ohio, he could be decent. To win at Michigan you have to (a) lock down in state recruiting in Michigan, (b) beat OSU head to head on two or three OSU recruits in Ohio, and (c) scout and lock down every Ohio recruit who just misses the OSU cut who is really good. Michigan has let ungodly talent leak out of the state or go to MSU and they are getting out scouted and out recruited by programs like Iowa, MSU and Wisconsin in Ohio. Michigan obviously should recruit top guys they can find nationally, but their biggest issue since Lloyd Carr left is that they have gotten their asses kicked in regional recruiting because the coaches are all out trying to find stars in California or Texas. There is plenty of talent if they stay local and are good at scouting and just swing for the fences on a few game changers out of the region.

I have watched PSU and Michigan a lot this season. I have also periodically followed their recruiting rankings. Both teams are near the top every year with lots of 4&5 star players. How on God’s green earth can they fall this low? The only variables I can think of are player development and of course, coaching. I just don’t know what else to look at.

I have watched PSU and Michigan a lot this season. I have also periodically followed their recruiting rankings. Both teams are near the top every year with lots of 4&5 star players. How on God’s green earth can they fall this low? The only variables I can think of are player development and of course, coaching. I just don’t know what else to look at.
Your team is going to be significantly limited by one bad o-lineman or one bad defensive back. So many of these teams that "recruit great" will more often than not be able to slug out wins against a team like Iowa and beat the bad teams due to some speed or talent advantages outside or with the tailback, but they all have some big deficiencies that the truly elite teams can usually expose. Very few teams that "recruit well" consistently have a great o-line complete with the depth to go 8 or 9 deep and Michigan and PSU are firmly in the club of teams that have mediocre o-line play.

Bama is the only team that seems to have a killer line every year. Even Clemson's line is trash this year. I think it's really hard to project that position because so many of the players need a year in the weight room before they are ready to play on the o-line.

Curiously enough, when you look at Harbaugh's record at Michigan prior to 2020... it sounds a little Nebraska-like post Osborne.

10 wins
10 wins
8 wins
10 wins
9 wins

Most places that's a great coach, not good enough at Michigan. But is it realistic? The last two coaches didn't do as well...you have to go back to Lloyd Carr. Could this be a Nebraska-like scenario playing out? I'd argue Michigan has better infrastructure, money, prestige...but still.

Last edited:
Michigan has the prestige, money, and recruiting base that would allow them to rotate coaches until they find one that works. If I were AD there, barring obviously extenuating circumstances (like the injury bug biting hard) I'd give a new coach 3 years.

Campbell will never leave ISU. He's made it pretty clear that he's there for the long haul. As long as they keep going to bowl games and don't start sucking again for multiple seasons, they won't chase him out of town either. He's the most successful coach ISU has had in recent history, and currently has them in a position that even Dan McCarney never got them to.

I don't know who Michigan should go after. It's possible Harbaugh might get a pass for this season due to the circumstances, but I think Michigan fans are ready to be done with him.

Campbell will never leave ISU. He's made it pretty clear that he's there for the long haul. As long as they keep going to bowl games and don't start sucking again for multiple seasons, they won't chase him out of town either. He's the most successful coach ISU has had in recent history, and currently has them in a position that even Dan McCarney never got them to.

I don't know who Michigan should go after. It's possible Harbaugh might get a pass for this season due to the circumstances, but I think Michigan fans are ready to be done with him.

Are you sure ISU is Campbell's destination job? I understand not making a lateral move to another power 5 school, but I have not seen any evidence that he is in it for the long haul.

Last edited:
Campbell will never leave ISU. He's made it pretty clear that he's there for the long haul. As long as they keep going to bowl games and don't start sucking again for multiple seasons, they won't chase him out of town either.
He would be foolish not to leave. I guess if he could take the Kurt route and get $4+ million a year with a minimum of 5 years on his buyout at all times that would be fine, but the worst thing you can do as an ISU coach is give them a taste of potential success because duplicating it is really hard and they'll run your ass.

Are you sure ISU is Campbell destination job? I understand not making a lateral move to another power 5 school, but I have not seen any evidence that he is in it for the long haul.
All these guys tell the rubes they are in it for the long haul. You have to stroke their egos. Once he starts getting offers with a 7 or 8 handle on the front at blue blood programs or in the NFL and turns a slew of them down, then I will believe he is in it for the long haul.

Curiously enough, when you look at Harbaugh's record at Michigan prior to 2020... it sounds a little Nebraska-like post Osborne.

10 wins
10 wins
8 wins
10 wins
9 wins

Most places that's a great coach, not good enough at Michigan. But is it realistic? The last two coaches didn't do as well...you have to go back to Lloyd Carr. Could this be a Nebraska-like scenario playing out? I'd argue Michigan has better infrastructure, money, prestige...but still.
Michigan is a brand name in the sport, but in reality they are a 9-3/8-4 type program and with the exception of '97 always have been.

Campbell will never leave ISU. He's made it pretty clear that he's there for the long haul.
I have to disagree. As a fan of the Hawks, I'm torn. He's a great coach, I have a ton of respect for him. Half of me wants him gone ASAP, the other half of me wants him to stay and be the Clones' JHF because I think it would be a great story and I think their fanbase has suffered long enough.

But what I think is irrelevant. The reality is, these guys all have massive egos. Some of them are showier about it (think Steve Spurrier), some (like our own KF) take the "aw, shucks" approach, but make no mistake - these guys are hyper driven, hyper motivated individuals.

Michigan is a top 5 all time program. If you have the psych profile of your average D1 football coach and Michigan shows up at your door with a big bag of money and a job offer...your sentimental ties to your current school are about to be seriously tested.

Like I said, a part of me hopes he stays, but it would be very surprising to see someone in his position pass up an offer like that.

nothing will happen until after seasons' end... something is wrong at UM. He's an accomplished coach. I just don't get why they underperform

Harbaugh is on par with every other Michigan coach not named Richrod or Brady Hoke. Pretty much the status quo.

Latest posts