will gabe start next year

I think he comes off the bench But I would like to see him and Woody on the floor togather about 10 min a game. I think White is better at the 4 than the 3. So this should be good for him.

A lot depends on whether Iowa gets Atwood, IMO.

I could see Fran sticking with a more traditional lineup if Atoowd comes to iowa:

PG- Gesell
SG- Oglesby
SF- White
PF- Atwood
C- Woodbury

If Iowa does not get Atwood then it is realistic to see the starting 5 look like this:

PG- Gesell
SG- Oglesby
SF- White
PF- Olaseni
C- Woodbury

This is the kind of response I was looking for. Atwood could definitely mix things up. If he's good enough to start at the 4, what does everyone think the chances are of Gabe starting over Woody?

Just kidding please no one answer that.

I think Gabe and Woody will be 2 of our 4 best players next year. If that's the case both of them on the court to start the game will be our best chance to get ahead of an opponent early. There would be a lot of games where one of them sits within 5 minutes, but there would also be a lot of games where both started hot and we looked unstoppable because of it.

Having both Woody and Gabe on the floor at the same time means they will be on the bench together also. It just doesnt make sense to give the other team a break like that. Plus you will cut down on what both of them can do by putting them on the floor together. Just because they will be 2 of the better players does not mean they need to start.

Let's say Atwood and Dickerson don't come to Iowa. This is the lineup I'd like to see.

1. Gesell, Clemmons
2. Oglesby, Jok, Ellingson
3. Uthoff, Jok/JO, Uhl
4. White, Olaseni/Uthoff, Meyer, Uhl
5. Woody, Olaseni, Meyer

I don't like not having a constant 3pt threat on the wings for spacing in the paint, so I hate White playing the 3. So that's why I have him starting at the 4. I also don't like anyone besides Woody and Olaseni at the 5. So that leaves a Woody/Olaseni battle for the starting spot and I'll give Woody the nod. While it's debatable who the better 5 is, I like Woody because I believe he is the better player at this time. Olaseni has played extremely well as of late and could surpass Woody but I think Woody will progress more than Gabe by the start of next season not mention I can't see Woody ever being a non starter. As for the twin towers thing, I like the idea but then the subs for the 5 would stink and more importantly, that would mean White is at the 3, which like I've said I despise. If White finally adds a jumper and Meyer shows a glimpse of promise at the 5, I'll change my opinion and then wouldn't mind Olaseni starting at the 4. Either way, I don't think it will matter a whole lot as Olaseni will get his minutes whether he starts or not.

I think part of the reason basabe starts and doesn't come off the bench is gabe brings what we asked basabe to do last yr at the beginning of the yr. gabe brings a fire off the bench that no one else does. That will still be needed next yr.

I think you go with jok and Uthoff into the lineup as they seem like players that need to get into the flow right away. While oglesby and gabe look like great 6, 7 guys with gabe bringing energy and athleticism, while oglesby brings defense, outside shooting and won't turn it over. I just don't see where we get those two things from the bench if we don't go with the following rotation:

pg - gesell (should be a 30+ min guy except in blowouts, arguably will be best pg in the b1g next yr)
sg - jok (I like oglesby more but I think jok is someone that needs to start to find out what type of game he will have. He seems to need to find the flow early or he is lost...some aren't good off the bench and I think he is one of them)
sf - Uthoff (I think him and jok are similar as they aren't as good off the bench as they need to find the flow right away.)
pf - white (he has done well playing out of position but I could see him be a 17 point guy as primarily a of as he would be in better position to get put backs. He also would still get his ft attempts and probably end up close to a double double machine.)
c - woody (guy ia good and is all around better than gabe. Gabe's ability to jump gets him points but he doesn't have the positioning or hands or all around game woody brings. Woody is an anchor in the middle)

6/7 man- oglesby and gabe (gabe brings fire off the bench that I love, oglesby is a scary bench scorer that won't hurt in other phases and is probably an upgrade over some starters depending on the game. It doesn't hurt to have 2 extra starter caliber guys who really thrive off the bench. I think gabe would lose a little as a starter as the same energy he brings off the bench doesn't always translate as well as a starter. Oglesby I think would be fine as a starter but I think his proven team first mentality and how well he has thrived in his role this yr mean he should stay in the same role but bigger minutes.)

8 - clemmons (I am not sold on him. I don't think he is an upgrade at anything or anytime over gesell and think he should be used very sparingly. This isn't bashing him but just a comparison to mg and I just can't see a reason to give him more than 10 min at pg and he can't play the 2 and I think we have seen the team is just better with mg at pg rather than the 2.)

after 8 guys it will be about figuring out if any frosh and Meyer and any transfers can mesh in. It will depend a lot on how well they seem to meld with the first 7 which I would put up against anyone in the country next yr.

It is a bit entertaining to me to see how many people post and complain about Gabe 'not starting'

Gabe has played more minutes than Adam in each of the last three games. 20 total minutes more, to be exact. So what exactly have Adam's 'starts' been worth? Gabe has been outplaying him the last three games for the most part, and Gabe has been playing more than Adam. What's wrong with that?

I still get amusement when you come to each thread and post ONE reply and then vanish. Every time you post, ten people try to engage in a conversation with you, yet I have never seen you reply. What is up with that?

People, just don't even bother.

Having both Woody and Gabe on the floor at the same time means they will be on the bench together also. It just doesnt make sense to give the other team a break like that. Plus you will cut down on what both of them can do by putting them on the floor together. Just because they will be 2 of the better players does not mean they need to start.

This is all true this year because they are both 20 minute players and we do hockey change lineups because of our depth. If both Woody and Gabe become 30 minute players next year (or close to it) and our bench shortens, things might have to change.

There comes a point where you are so good that the minutes you diserve are hard to get unless you start. For instance if a 30 minute player doesn't start and comes in after 5 minutes, he has to play 30 of the last 35 minutes. Or essentially the last 15 minutes of each half.

Now Gabe might not get to that point next year but its up to Fran to decide if the risk of starting both is worth the reward. It will definitely be fun to see how it plays out.

uh-oh. Gabe today: 0/2 fg, 1/2 ft, 2 rebs..... woody: 0/2ft, 7/8ft, 4rebs, 1ast...... does this mean woody is the better player now, and should start? My point is that they both have strengths and weaknesses. They will both have good and bad games. Who cares who starts. In Fran I trust

uh-oh. Gabe today: 0/2 fg, 1/2 ft, 2 rebs..... woody: 0/2ft, 7/8ft, 4rebs, 1ast...... does this mean woody is the better player now, and should start? My point is that they both have strengths and weaknesses. They will both have good and bad games. Who cares who starts. In Fran I trust

Woody should be high flying like uber brow Davis was for Kentucky. #grindsmygears

A lot depends on whether Iowa gets Atwood, IMO.

I could see Fran sticking with a more traditional lineup if Atoowd comes to iowa:

PG- Gesell
SG- Oglesby
SF- White
PF- Atwood
C- Woodbury

If Iowa does not get Atwood then it is realistic to see the starting 5 look like this:

PG- Gesell
SG- Oglesby
SF- White
PF- Olaseni
C- Woodbury
Why does everyone put Gabe at the 4? He's a better 5 than Woody, right now. Woody seems to want to play like a 4. Put him at the 4. I don't understand. Are we talking about putting the best lineup on the floor? Are we trying to appease Woody?

This is all true this year because they are both 20 minute players and we do hockey change lineups because of our depth. If both Woody and Gabe become 30 minute players next year (or close to it) and our bench shortens, things might have to change.

There comes a point where you are so good that the minutes you diserve are hard to get unless you start. For instance if a 30 minute player doesn't start and comes in after 5 minutes, he has to play 30 of the last 35 minutes. Or essentially the last 15 minutes of each half.

Now Gabe might not get to that point next year but its up to Fran to decide if the risk of starting both is worth the reward. It will definitely be fun to see how it plays out.

I dont see Iowas game plan change that much next year and I just dont see having two 5s on the the floor together that much. It clogs the middle too much or puts one guy too far from the hoop.

I still get amusement when you come to each thread and post ONE reply and then vanish. Every time you post, ten people try to engage in a conversation with you, yet I have never seen you reply. What is up with that?

People, just don't even bother.

No, it's just you ;)

[tweet]434795718138535938[/tweet]

I think it's working pretty good. I'd also think playing them together isn't a good thing, regularly. As someone pointed out, when they play together, it means they sit together. How many teams have two 5's who can move like these two? The answer is hardly any.

Latest posts