Will Fran go after top PG transfer?

HawkeyeRyno

Banned
Dayton got hit today with 2 high caliber player transfers. One is getting courted by Fred Hoiberg (imagine that) but was originally recruited by Iowa State anyway - SG Brandon Spearman. The other is an ESPN Top 100 recruit - PG Juwan Staten. He wants to contribute more in scoring than he was at Dayton. We need a PG like this and not many options remain. I understand he wouldn't be able to play until 2012 but this kid should definitely be looked at. I don't understand why Hoiberg goes after every single transfer in the country but Fran doesn't bother. Need to approach these types of talents when they become available.

Interesting.. how about Junior point Larry Drew from UNC or sophomore PF Wally Judge from Kansas State? Many quality transfers out there that I hope we pursue.

Larry Drew sucks. Judge isn't bad but he is a little overrated.

I haven't heard anything about ISU recruiting Spearman. If his freshman stats at a decent but not great Dayton team suggest anything, it's that he's not very good. I'm calling BS on this one.

Spearman is out of Simeon HS,Chicago. They just won their second straight state title. Derrick Rose's old school. Not a bad school to tap into,if possible. Jabbari Parker,their star sophmore forward ,is a top 5 player in his class.
I was impressed when Brian Gregory landed Spearman last year...but,stuff happens,I guess. Just how many schollys does ISU have left? Seems like they have a lot of guys on scholly for next year already.
As for Staten, worth a look. Iowa can get by next year without a pg,with Bryce and Cully,but the next year they need a top notch pg ready to step in for Bryce.

The value of a steady pg is hard to overstate. Illinois is celebrating landing transfer Sam Maniscolia(sp),from Bradley....he has graduated already so he can play immediately next year,filling the void that McCamey's graduation leaves.

Interesting.. how about Junior point Larry Drew from UNC or sophomore PF Wally Judge from Kansas State? Many quality transfers out there that I hope we pursue.

Larry Drew sucks. And he quit on his team mid year. Don't want him.

Wally Judge has talent but didn't he also quit on his team mid year? I'd give him a shot though b/c there aren't many guys with his size and talent out there

Larry Drew and the words "quality transfer" should not be anywhere near each other, unless they are used in the following sentence. Larry Drew III is not a quality transfer, dude is garbage.

Dayton got hit today with 2 high caliber player transfers. One is getting courted by Fred Hoiberg (imagine that) but was originally recruited by Iowa State anyway - SG Brandon Spearman. The other is an ESPN Top 100 recruit - PG Juwan Staten. He wants to contribute more in scoring than he was at Dayton. We need a PG like this and not many options remain. I understand he wouldn't be able to play until 2012 but this kid should definitely be looked at. I don't understand why Hoiberg goes after every single transfer in the country but Fran doesn't bother. Need to approach these types of talents when they become available.

The guy started all but one game and averaged 29 minutes as a freshman. He put up 8.5 points and 5.4 assists per game on 38% shooting (15% from 3). If you are right that he transferred because he didn't think was given enough opportunities to score, that's a pretty big red flag for me. We need players, but we don't need a point guard who wants to dominate the ball but can't shoot. Brian Gregory is a very well-respected coach, and it's troubling that Staten felt he couldn't fit there. If I'm Fran I wonder why Staten would be any happier playing for the Hawks than he was in Dayton.

Spearman is out of Simeon HS,Chicago. They just won their second straight state title. Derrick Rose's old school. Not a bad school to tap into,if possible. Jabbari Parker,their star sophmore forward ,is a top 5 player in his class.
I was impressed when Brian Gregory landed Spearman last year...but,stuff happens,I guess. Just how many schollys does ISU have left? Seems like they have a lot of guys on scholly for next year already.
As for Staten, worth a look. Iowa can get by next year without a pg,with Bryce and Cully,but the next year they need a top notch pg ready to step in for Bryce.

The value of a steady pg is hard to overstate. Illinois is celebrating landing transfer Sam Maniscolia(sp),from Bradley....he has graduated already so he can play immediately next year,filling the void that McCamey's graduation leaves.

Eric McKnight is transferring, so we had one open up. The news from Ames has mostly been relating to players that are playing the 4 though. I haven't heard about Spearman. We wanted him out of HS, but that was the McD team as well. My guess is if we fill the McKnight scholie, it would be with an interior player. If not, we will use it in the 2012 cycle.

The college basketball transfer situation is atrocious. You only seem able to recruit a position every 4 years, or the player will get mad about not getting his butt kissed enough.

Larry Drew sucks. And he quit on his team mid year. Don't want him.

Wally Judge has talent but didn't he also quit on his team mid year? I'd give him a shot though b/c there aren't many guys with his size and talent out there
Wally Judge reminds me of Eric McKnight with more hype. An athletic, long 4 man with a ton of upside, but on the court becomes slack jawed and in need of a drool cup. The kid just didn't sem to be able to play when he got minutes at KSU.

Judge would be a Junior and Drew II would have a semester and a half of eligibility. Drew had issues at Carolina but he's out for a second chance. He has talent so saying he's garbage is going overboard. Marshall obviously has that team playing great since he left but I was just naming available players to take a look at. My apologies to our resident experts.

Judge would be a Junior and Drew II would have a semester and a half of eligibility. Drew had issues at Carolina but he's out for a second chance. He has talent so saying he's garbage is going overboard. Marshall obviously has that team playing great since he left but I was just naming available players to take a look at. My apologies to our resident experts.

No he really is not talented. He's bad defensively and not very good offensively either.

Eric McKnight is transferring, so we had one open up. The news from Ames has mostly been relating to players that are playing the 4 though. I haven't heard about Spearman. We wanted him out of HS, but that was the McD team as well. My guess is if we fill the McKnight scholie, it would be with an interior player. If not, we will use it in the 2012 cycle.

The college basketball transfer situation is atrocious. You only seem able to recruit a position every 4 years, or the player will get mad about not getting his butt kissed enough.

It seems like UNC and some of the other top schools are still able to convince top recruits to come in right on top of other top recruits,like Marcus Paige on top of Kendall Marshall,and whoever Roy Williams pulls in for pg this spring(he seems to be recruiting every unsigned pg in the country). I guess he is banking on Marshall leaving early,which is what Cal does at Ky,where he has 3 of the top 5 recruits in the country coming in next year,again,after landing the top classes the last two years. What if Brandon Knight and Terrance Jones decide to stay at KY?...issues.

It just seems like these top kids only want Ky,UNC ,KU or Duke and are willing to gamble that they will beat out all the other all-americans on their rosters. At Iowa,and schools like Iowa, they could get immediate playing time and lead the programs to new heights,but they only want the sure thing,I guess....it is frustrating. Go and sit, top players...or go and play?

Interesting topic. On one hand, we could certainly use a transfer to help with an immediate talent infusion. On the other, as folks have pointed out, a lot of these kids are head cases, ME guys, bad operators or all three. ISU is a perfect fit, given the "class is optional" aspect of the big 12 conference, but most would not like McCaffrey telling them "no deals, you earn your minutes" "you have to be student as well as an athlete".

There are good kids out there that get caught in coaching changes, politics, etc., so I wouldn't be opposed to a kid coming in. I just hope we can seal the deal with our two remaining roster spots and not be freaking out before classes start like we were last year with Cartwright.

Interesting topic. On one hand, we could certainly use a transfer to help with an immediate talent infusion. On the other, as folks have pointed out, a lot of these kids are head cases, ME guys, bad operators or all three. ISU is a perfect fit, given the "class is optional" aspect of the big 12 conference, but most would not like McCaffrey telling them "no deals, you earn your minutes" "you have to be student as well as an athlete".

There are good kids out there that get caught in coaching changes, politics, etc., so I wouldn't be opposed to a kid coming in. I just hope we can seal the deal with our two remaining roster spots and not be freaking out before classes start like we were last year with Cartwright.

If we are able to get someone of Cartwright's caliber, I don't care if he signs in April, June, or on the day before classes start. Quality is all that matters.

If we are able to get someone of Cartwright's caliber, I don't care if he signs in April, June, or on the day before classes start. Quality is all that matters.

If you want to start being a better program, you have to start getting in better guards than Bryce Cartwright. Not saying he is bad, as he had a good 2nd half the season. But he is not a guy that is going to win you some Big 10 games. He was an average guard on a bad team. I think Iowa can get better PG talent in. I'm sure of it

If you want to start being a better program, you have to start getting in better guards than Bryce Cartwright. Not saying he is bad, as he had a good 2nd half the season. But he is not a guy that is going to win you some Big 10 games. He was an average guard on a bad team. I think Iowa can get better PG talent in. I'm sure of it

I disagree with this totally. How does one lead the Big10 in assists on a bad team if they aren't good? It would be much, much easier to dish out assists on Michigan, Michigan St., Purdue, Ohio St., Illinois, Penn St.....those teams all have players that finish better than Iowa. It is saying something when you lead the league in assists on a bad team.

I disagree with this totally. How does one lead the Big10 in assists on a bad team if they aren't good? It would be much, much easier to dish out assists on Michigan, Michigan St., Purdue, Ohio St., Illinois, Penn St.....those teams all have players that finish better than Iowa. It is saying something when you lead the league in assists on a bad team.

I didn't say that Bryce was bad. Said he is average. And he is.

Iowa can and needs to find better PG's than Bryce Cartwright.

Latest posts