Will BF Be OC Next Spring?

Will BF be OC next spring?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
The smarter long term move for Kirk if he wants Brian to be HC one day is to remove him as OC.

Make him assistant HC or some made up title and get a decent OC in there. Then, Kirk can credit Brian in pressers for his vague hard work etc. to try and give him credit for success.

But keeping him at OC will make him toxic to the fanbase.

I really didn't like the shot BF took at players when he said "I did the best I could with what I had to work with."

That's fuckin bush league.

As a coach myself who's inherited a sports program that for several reasons is really hurting participation-wise, a program I take a lot of personal ownership in because it's my alma mater, there are a lot of reasons we take some losses that are due to inexperienced players, lack of this, or lack of that.

But I would never in a million years call out players that way. I just can't even get my brain to think like that. In my situation, the kids who do come out knowing they're going to get their asses kicked a lot of times but still giving up their summers mean a hell of a lot to me. In Brian's situation, kids signed to Iowa and basically giving up 24/7 of their time for 4 years and dealing with a scrub of an OC but still sticking around...they should mean something to him. I don't know how a coach can exist on a team and not love his or her players. Win or lose you're in the same situation with your players (or you should be). You share wins and losses, good press/bad press, and so on.

You'd never hear a single word like that from Phil Parker.

What an asshole.

Brian wont be OC, if he voluntarily goes it will be announced as taking another job, if its not voluntary then Kirk will announce his own resignation.

I really didn't like the shot BF took at players when he said "I did the best I could with what I had to work with."

As a coach myself who's inherited a sports program that for several reasons is really hurting participation-wise, a program I take a lot of personal ownership in because it's my alma mater, there are a lot of reasons we take some losses that are due to inexperienced players, lack of this, or lack of that.

But I would never in a million years call out players that way. I just can't even get my brain to think like that. In my situation, the kids who do come out knowing they're going to get their asses kicked a lot of times but still giving up their summers mean a hell of a lot to me. In Brian's situation, kids signed to Iowa and basically giving up 24/7 of their time for 4 years and dealing with a scrub of an OC but still sticking around...they should mean something to him. I don't know how a coach can exist on a team and not love his or her players. Win or lose you're in the same situation with your players (or you should be). You share wins and losses, good press/bad press, and so on.

What an asshole.
You may have identified the reason offensive talent avoids Iowa football,

The smarter long term move for Kirk if he wants Brian to be HC one day is to remove him as OC.

Make him assistant HC or some made up title and get a decent OC in there. Then, Kirk can credit Brian in pressers for his vague hard work etc. to try and give him credit for success.

But keeping him at OC will make him toxic to the fanbase.
I think Brian's shot at HC is done.

Here's the exact quote:

"I would say I did the best I could this year with the pieces we had to try to put the team in position to win."

Breaking down why it sucks:
1. Throws the players under the bus, as previously mentioned, which should be anathema to coaching
2. He is not saying he tried as hard as he could, he's literally saying he thinks he did as good as he possibly could have. Grading yourself as having done the best you could when your offense was ranked at the bottom of all of college football, is either massively overrating your abilities or admitting you are not cut out to do the job you've been given.

There may be some truth to what he is saying. That the failures don't solely rest on the playcalling, when the talent wasn't there and there existed systematic failures in position units (looking at you, offensive line, with whatever the hell we were trying to do all year there).

But that appeases the fan not. The personnel problems; the broken offensive line; the not having a QB being prepared to lead an offense -- those are still problems that represent failure at the level of those in charge, i.e. the coaching staff, and so even if you can't pin all the blame on Brian, it sure would be nice for him to own up to his part in it, rather than try to skirt responsibility for it entirely. What a head coach he would make, huh.

No, life only give you so many chances to prove yourself. When BF used the word "did" about how things went this year I believe it was a tip off about his future.
Thought the same way, but no way to know for sure. Given whose child he is, it's more unclear.

It's not justified, but I think he'll be OC. 6 years in, basically has done worse every year.

Not sure how he can point to "best I can do with what I have"....when he's the one in charge bringing in and developing "what we have".

It's unfortunate. With just a below mediocre offense, in yards/points.... the defense could potentially be even more dominant. Just a say... 80th ranked total offense and Iowa is very likely a 10-11 win team, B1G West Champ. I'm also not sure we wouldn't have been within 10 points of Mich and OSU.

Well see I guess.

Go Hawks.

Everyone knows what needs to happen here. Including Kirk, Brian and Gary.
The question is whether any of them have the integrity and fortitude to do the right thing.

I agree, but would add that he was never going to be the next head coach at Iowa.
I can tell you that not long ago the booster sentiment was still Brian eventually being HC. That’s changed but I’d still bet money in him being OC.

What an

Not so fast. I just saw HN Facebook with a sun heading about LaPorta Sad Carrer Ending. It read like he had a sad career but meant he was sad.

In my career I have been interviewed a lot. Sometimes the reporter gets it mostly right. Sometimes a part is way off. Seldom is it exactly what I Wanted to say.

What was reported may be off or in part. If it was on, it might have been a swipe at his dad. We really don't know. I can imagine more than one reporter has built up disatisfaction for things Ferentz.

Last edited:
Iowa athletics never change. Look at the Tom Davis era and how long he held on. It’s very similar here. Recruiting is always uphill as both hate it like the plague. Non-conference schedules are annually soft and sell false hope. They go.500-ish in conference and go to also-ran bowls and bow out in the ncaa tournament in round two. Fans show up in droves regardless because we have no pro teams. The miraculous thing is that ISU hasn’t completely passed us up although they have had the better basketball team overall for a while.

Iowa administration and money boosters love kirk and loved Tom because they never had to worry about them. They were “try harder” guys that were going to bring in the same type of “try harder” athletes, finish middle of the conference and rinse/repeat annually. No problems, great image, grad rates and Ferentz got a reputation for producing nfl talent due to the nfl’s trust with the way certain positions are coached/developed. Oddly, the same players having success in the nfl, lacked high level team success in college.
Nothing will change because they don’t want it to. When Ferentz finally retires, they’ll be looking for the next tom davis/kirk ferentz. Clean cut, brings in the same type of student-athletes and wins just enough.

Iowa administration and money boosters don’t give a damn what we think. Sound familiar?

All you need to know is when Kirk says he doesn't play golf... He has nothing else in his life except coaching and family. We are stuck in groundhog's day.

Latest posts