Wieskamp - Larry Bird

revkev73

A big Badger Fan friend of mine sent me a text last night during the first half of the Iowa game. He said that Wieskamp reminds him of a young Larry Bird. Hadn't thought of that one. Would be nice!

So we lose and Fran is the worst coach in division 1 basketball, when we win players are annotated as young NBA hall of famers. Got it.

Not sure he's quite the passer Bird was. People forget just how good at that he was. And overall game. At that stage of his career holy crap. JW has been pretty good. But he's not 6'9 215ish with the overall game Bird had. Let's try and keep the comparisons to all time greats in perspective.
I'd say JW is kind of a mix between what Gatens, Haluska and Recker were. Recker was a heck of a player too. If JW can be that good and consistent holy smokes.

So we lose and Fran is the worst coach in division 1 basketball, when we win players are annotated as young NBA hall of famers. Got it.
I don't ever recall reading or hearing that Fran is the worst coach in division 1 BB. Did I miss something?

I shared that a Badger fan made a comment about Wieskamp and Bird, comparing them as a compliment. Annotated?

Interesting comments.

A big Badger Fan friend of mine sent me a text last night during the first half of the Iowa game. He said that Wieskamp reminds him of a young Larry Bird. Hadn't thought of that one. Would be nice!

Whoa Nelly!! oh wait that is a football saying from the great Keith Jackson. But let's not go there as you are talking about one of the top 10 or so Bball players of all time. I think if you had to pick to starting 5s for an all time bball all star pc game Larry Bird would be on one of the teams.

Now, I and others have commented on the Joe Smooth thread that Joe W looks very good, very under control, can shoot, drive, play D, pass ok, bound and run the court. He is a 6 tool player now and will only get better. Not sure how tall he really is but if he adds some muscle without losing his ups etc and maybe even grows another inch or so that would be awesome. I can see him carrying the team during many games in the future.

Whoa Nelly!! oh wait that is a football saying from the great Keith Jackson. But let's not go there as you are talking about one of the top 10 or so Bball players of all time. I think if you had to pick to starting 5s for an all time bball all star pc game Larry Bird would be on one of the teams.

Now, I and others have commented on the Joe Smooth thread that Joe W looks very good, very under control, can shoot, drive, play D, pass ok, bound and run the court. He is a 6 tool player now and will only get better. Not sure how tall he really is but if he adds some muscle without losing his ups etc and maybe even grows another inch or so that would be awesome. I can see him carrying the team during many games in the future.
Wieskamp is more like a combination of Bird/Magic/Curry all in one :)

giphy-downsized-large.gif

Freshman year:

Bird:

54% FG

84% FT

13 RB

4 AST

33 PPG

SOS was weak in MVC

Wieskamp:

51% FG

73% FT

5 RB

1 AST

12 PPG

SOS pretty decent for deep Big Ten

Why does the comp have to be to Larry Bird? Why can’t it be to I don’t know........Ray Allen.:)
My opening post said that a Badger friend of mine was watching the game yesterday and texted me that "Young Joe Wieskamp" reminds him of a young Larry Bird." That's the only reason...following the thread.

Bird obviously much taller, great shooter, great competitor and all world trash talker.

I've been a big fan of Wieskamp since he was a sophomore, but, a comparison to Bird is way, way over the top.

Bird was a generational talent with a unique skill set. His court vision and instincts perhaps were only rivaled by Magic Johnson, and he had the mental toughness and sheer force of will of Michael Jordan. He was deadly from the outside and crafty as hell on the inside. I doubt we will ever see another like him. Amazing basketball player.

I've been a big fan of Wieskamp since he was a sophomore, but, a comparison to Bird is way, way over the top.

Bird was a generational talent with a unique skill set. His court vision and instincts perhaps were only rivaled by Magic Johnson, and he had the mental toughness and sheer force of will of Michael Jordan. He was deadly from the outside and crafty as hell on the inside. I doubt we will ever see another like him. Amazing basketball player.
To let my friend off the hook a bit, I think he said, "Wieskamp's game reminds of a young Larry Bird." Getting to Bird status is a perch most can't reach.