why so little success for fran so far?

You would think with the connections Dillard and Kirk have we would be able to bring SOMEBODY in by now? It'll be interesting to see who we bring in. Hope they are good. I have faith.

If you have faith,why are you questioning?
We picked up Cully in mid-June last year,didn't we?
There is about 90 days til fall semester starts...check back then.

I'll take a transfer in good academic standing and another who will be graduating and going to grad school any day, if it fits the program. The high horse act is amusing.

I like what Fran is doing but it doesn't mean ISU isn't doing well at the same time.

I love it, your precious AD goes out and bemoans all the transfers in college BB and then they turn around a sign two in a week.....Lets see, it's ok to SIGN transfer, it just isn't ok for kids to transfer out of ISU????

Pollard is more politician than AD if you ask me...

Shada:

I am not hand wringing. I also don't think I am in hysterics. I have a hypothesis of success in college basketball backed by data. I make rational statements based on that hypothesis. It may end up unsupported by the current Iowa basketball experiment, or the data may end up providing support.

The hypothesis is that successful college basketball recruiters at this level exhibit recruiting success within the first year of recruiting. My comments will continue to reflect my belief in this hypothesis.

Also, if you look at the hypothesis, it does not predict if FM will or will not succeed. However, it does provide a timeline for predicting success. Some people see the timeline and don't agree with it. That is fine.

However, instead of providing data that would suggest the hypothesis is flawed, the best these people can do is characterize me as a pessimist, hand-wringer, etc.

Here are some areas where people have attacked me.

1) We will have a good idea by November if FM is going to be succesful at Iowa.
2) Would be a good idea to stop the leaks regarding Iowa's recruiting of specific players until things are further down the line in the recruiting process, because you don't want to rile up the fan base whn things don't work out.
3) Didn't like the reporting of the Big Ten discussions about Brust.
4) Speraw seems the most likely of the coaches to have current recruiting relationships for immediate help.

Not one of these comments made a judgment claim on FM's ability. But all the MSNBC's and Fox's on this board who go by either the Fran is God or the Devil understanding can seem to read a neutral opinion without having to fit it into their limited either/or perspective.

Last edited:
I'm not worried at all.

Look, there's plenty of bodies out there. If all Fran wanted to do was bring in bodies, he could do it. Guys like Coco Ware. That's the situation Hoiberg is in - he simply doesn't have enough players for next year, so he's got to bring guys in. I'm not trying to talk smack, but I don't think even the most ardent Cyclone fan would pretend that the guys Hoiberg is bringing in right now are going to be world beaters - just competent players to fill out the roster.

So if you believe (like I do) that he could bring in a few bodies if he wanted to but he isn't, that tells me that he's hearing encouraging things from guys from the 2011 class. And while our current roster is weak, we at least have enough guys to field a team. If Fran really thinks he can get a better 2011 class, I really would prefer that we just bite the bullet and get through this upcoming year.

I'm not going to start getting concerned about recruiting till next year. If Fran can't sign a good 2011 class, that will tell me that we're in trouble, and that's when I'll start to worry. If you're not in a situation where you desperately need bodies to fill out a team, I'd prefer not to commit schollies for four years. Honestly, the only thing I would have liked to see is PG help for Cully, but that's more about helping out an individual player than a major concern for the future of the team.

I'm not worried at all.

Look, there's plenty of bodies out there. If all Fran wanted to do was bring in bodies, he could do it. Guys like Coco Ware. That's the situation Hoiberg is in - he simply doesn't have enough players for next year, so he's got to bring guys in. I'm not trying to talk smack, but I don't think even the most ardent Cyclone fan would pretend that the guys Hoiberg is bringing in right now are going to be world beaters - just competent players to fill out the roster.

So if you believe (like I do) that he could bring in a few bodies if he wanted to but he isn't, that tells me that he's hearing encouraging things from guys from the 2011 class. And while our current roster is weak, we at least have enough guys to field a team. If Fran really thinks he can get a better 2011 class, I really would prefer that we just bite the bullet and get through this upcoming year.

I'm not going to start getting concerned about recruiting till next year. If Fran can't sign a good 2011 class, that will tell me that we're in trouble, and that's when I'll start to worry. If you're not in a situation where you desperately need bodies to fill out a team, I'd prefer not to commit schollies for four years. Honestly, the only thing I would have liked to see is PG help for Cully, but that's more about helping out an individual player than a major concern for the future of the team.

Agree with above post! This coaching staff knows what type of athletes it is going to take to get the program turned around. Fran has a plan and Im hoping he can execute it. Has anyone seen the progress of the new BB practice facility? When done will help. The next two years are critical for recruiting but we may not have great crowds to support a mediocre team. At least the recruits know there will be immediate playing time if they come. Any chance Barta would consider surrounding the court with free tickets for the students?

No i'm not a troll I'm a huge hawk fan and had season tickets. I don't know why but yesterday I just got to thinking that I woulda thought we would have heard more about some guards for next year is all. I'm a hawk through and through like all of you.

You're right franstheman...there should be some mediocre slug, sucking up a schollie for the next 4 years, on the roster by now!

Or we should just be patient and let Fran do his thing...I'd rather pick up no one and bank the scholarship and go with what we have next season than settle for someone just because he could back up Cully a smidge better than the walk-ons coming in.

Yep just keep being patient, keep waiting, there's things going on that no one knows about behind the scenes...where have I heard this all before? A mediocre slug would be a step to what we have now, which is nothing. You can't play a season with 7 players. I've said it before and I'll say it again there is no "long-term" in CBB anymore. It's not just that the fans want things now, its that the current climate in CBB necessitates getting things done quickly and deal with the long term ramifications later.

edit: PS. everyone is so worried about what Hoiberg is doing, along with the clones, everyone better be worried about what the teams that really matter to us are doing, ie the B10. Were not in a contest with ISU, the real contest is with the B10.

Last edited:
Yes it is true. The great coaches always find a way to sign a stud in his first recruting period on the job. Even Fran has done this when he signed Hasbrouk(sp) late in the recruiting year at Siena.

And kudos on picking up some transfers that averaged 10 points for Northern Illinois and they didn't want him back and a guy who underachieved for Big10 powerhouse Penn State...Hoiberg's really kickin' some a$$!

I have heard nothing but high praise for Chris Babb. I've seen two PSU fans give a report on him, and have pasted what they said about him below.

First one:

"The kid is a 3 machine. When he is on he is sickening good. I would say he is easily a 15 to 18 ppg player. He was just coming on for us last year.

He left PSU supposedly because he wanted to be nearer to home. He is from Texas but grew up in Kansas. But I am sure the dismal season last year doesn't help. We were 0-12 last year to start Big 10 play.

You guys got yourselves a good one"

Second one:

"Deadly shooter. Don't believe his percentages. He really grew throughout the year and became a solid 40% 3 point shooter in the Big Ten. He can be better than that. Quick trigger and was allowed to shoot from anywhere for PSU. Completely incapable of driving to the bucket. Well, maybe he can, but I think he did maybe 4 or 5 times total in his career in 2 years. Developed a really nice mid range jumper off the dribble, which became deadly when his 3 pointer had to be respected. Okay ball-handler. Great defender."

I wouldn't call that underachieving at all. You've mistaken one player with that team. That team underachieved, but it seems like Chris did his part.

As for the NIU transfer, what harm does it do even if he isn't great? He will add depth and experience next year, and that's all we're asking for. Besides, I've read where Anderson and Xavier Silas didn't get along at NIU, so it was one or the other.

A 3 machine? He averaged 9 pts a game.

Everyone relax. The clowns have signed 2 very average players and 1 ( I assume the Mn guy came) who is a walking time bomb. Two of the 3 came from Big Ten teams so Iowa wasn't in the picture at all. The other is a friend of an ex clown player. If you are going to build your program on these players you are going to be sadly disappointed.

I don't want quick fixes, I want the real thing. Next year is going to be bad at both schools. Over time we will see what happens, but I'm betting on the staff with experience , not some office worker from one of the worst NBA teams in the country.

haha. I will take two players who start for a division one school and were good players for their program any day. Iowa state has had a number of them. Wes Johnson wasnt "absolutely amazing here" went to syracuse and was a star. Same with tasheed carr. Shawn taggert sure got better after transfering from here. Also, we were able to keep all of our recruits which is a big plus when you have a coaching change.

haha. I will take two players who start for a division one school and were good players for their program any day. Iowa state has had a number of them. Wes Johnson wasnt "absolutely amazing here" went to syracuse and was a star. Same with tasheed carr. Shawn taggert sure got better after transfering from here. Also, we were able to keep all of our recruits which is a big plus when you have a coaching change.

I am sure you would...desperation causes one to do all sorts of things.:D

I don't see how anyone can describe what ISU is doing as desperation. If Royce White where to come aboard I could see it but as of now, not even close.

I don't think White will be a Clone. I hope he isn't, actually.

If you think about it, he got the only kid he was recruiting prior to taking the Iowa job that really fits. He hired an assistant who was recruiting with him. Another who hadn't been recruiting for awhile, and a recently fired coach that had some pretty decent verbals, even a couple from the midwest.

Really does seem like Speraw should have been able to get at least one of those kids.
you need to remember IOWA has higher standards to recruit by, and keep academically elgible.

What? who was the last iowa state player that was academically ineligable? maybe i read this post wrong...

I'm not necessarily agreeing with him, but you kind of just proved his point. He's saying it's tougher in the classroom at Iowa than at ISU. So saying that you've had no one academically ineligible doesn't say a lot (see Nebraska football being the all-time leader for academic All-Americans). He's knocking ISU's academic standards.

you need to remember IOWA has higher standards to recruit by, and keep academically elgible.

Regardless of the difference in standards, maintaining a GPA somewhere between 1.0 and 1.8 is not that difficult whichever school you are talking about. It's not like Iowa is Drake and you need a whopping 2.0 to stay eligible.

Latest posts