Why Rudock left

Did Rudock make the call to use zero playaction?
L. Daniels was the only Iowa runner where MSU's defense would automatically stack the box because they knew he would run. Iowa's other tailbacks were a threat to catch a pass.
Iowa had a total of 58 some yards rushing in the whole game. Play action won't fool the defense much when rushing is ineffective. Iowa's best tailback's right ankle was rolled up on. IMO, Wadley still looked gimpy. That left Daniels and Mitchell for long stretches of the game. These were all reasons why not so much play action was used.

Who were Iowa's running back(s) when the play action resulting in the 85 yard TD pass to Smith the first play of the 4th quarter was thrown? The play action pass of the second drive of the fourth quarter where Vandy was 'held'? The play action pass where Smith supposedly lost the ball in the lights? My guess is it was L. Daniels in each case causing MSU to stack the box which left minimal defense against the long pass.

Last edited:
L. Daniels was the only Iowa runner where MSU's defense would automatically stack the box because they knew he would run. Iowa's other rushers were a threat to catch a pass.
Iowa had a total of 58 some yards rushing in the whole game. Play action won't fool the defense much when rushing is ineffective. Iowa's best tailback's right ankle was rolled up on. IMO, Wadley still looked gimpy. That left Daniels and Mitchell for long stretches of the game. These were all reasons why not so much play action was used. Who were Iowa's running back(s) when the play action resulting in the 85 yard TD pass to Smith the first play of the 4th quarter was thrown? The play action pass of the second drive of the fourth quarter where Vandy was 'held'? The play action pass where Smith supposedly lost the ball in the lights? My guess is it was L. Daniels in each case causing MSU to stack the box which left minimal defense against the long pass.

It was Wadley in on the completion to Smith. LD was in on the other two.

You sumabitch. You know what's funny about taking the points. Whenever someone kicks a field goal on 4th down and there is a defensive penalty that gives them the 1st down, they always accept the penalty unless it is an end of game situation. That is the only time you can truly "take the points" yet no one ever does. They risk getting no points in hopes of scoring a touchdown. Why does no one ever complain about not "taking the points" there?

I'm with ya PC. 100%. I just couldn't resist.

Jake left because of oldkirk. Heck, who knew there'd be a newkirk? Who knows when newkirk will come to the forefront? Jake realized once a starting QB is announced by oldkirk, he stays as starting QB come he!! or high water. The Jake Christensen situation with Stanzi was an outlier. Who knew exactly how much had to go into getting KF to change his mind in the Stanzi/Christensen case? KF is an expert on making these decisions?

If Jake Rudock had pulled one of those close games at the end of the 2014 season out of the fire (particularly Nebraska), I think Iowa sees CJ transferring. The ISU loss didn't seem to matter. The Ball State close win didn't seem to matter. The Purdue win didn't seem to matter. The second half win at Pittsburgh didn't seem to matter.

Jake knew once oldkirk named CJ as his starting QB, CJ would stay as starting QB. Jake knew he'd get very little playing time.
If oldkirk had said "There will be a competition for starting QB this season", Jake would know oldkirk was displeased with his performance but Jake still had a shot to start. Maybe Jake would've stayed. Iowa really needed him in the QB mix this season. Particularly when CJ was injured.

Yes, Jake also left Iowa for Michigan because he was probably 'guaranteed' the starting QB position by Harbaugh.

Honestly, who the f#@$ cares and where the heck is this coming from? Why? I had to double check to see that this wasn't posted in August because I am confused...

I remember when it all went down and Ferentz chased Rudock out of Iowa City. It was so unfair and totally classless. Thats why I burned all of my Hawkeye tickets and gear and vowed not to support the Hawks until Kirk was gone.

Honestly, who the f#@$ cares and where the heck is this coming from? Why? I had to double check to see that this wasn't posted in August because I am confused...
KF naming CJ as starter in January is potentially the best play of the season and KF naming CJ starter in January is potentially the worst play of the season because we gained CJ and lost Jake. I submit if KF would've declared another QB competition maybe both would've stayed...See, I just don't remember if CJ and family would've trusted a new QB competition to be more objective (meaning without KF's input).

What if CJ was catastrophically injured? What if the staff just wanted to rest CJ to help in his mending process?

Last edited:
So many different outcomes could've come from this season. Iowa hit the jackpot with so many positive outcomes this season. For example, CJ going down for the season, depending when in the season, might've resulted in a no-bowl for Iowa. And Iowa looking for a new head coach?

Nice lookin' razor you got there, Occam.
Oh. You mean like when ships leave the harbor and go to sea eventually they disappear from the horizon which proves the earth is flat because ships fall off?

Occam's razor says the simplest answer is usually the best. The flat earth declaration is another simple solution but it's certainly not the best.

Not saying the solution you refer isn't the best in this case. It is. It just doesn't take into affect all the nuances and repercussions of the solution which could render the solution useless.

Last edited:
So, not much reason not to use play action more. Hehl, maybe even roll out of the pocket on play action....
Iowa used play action passing more that I even imagined. Those passes just didn't lead to big plays...The reason why Iowa didn't use enough play action passing is because, for the most part, both of Iowa's OTackles were being schooled and MSU got to CJ before he could carry out the fake and the pass?

In theory, every time L.Daniels was the running back, a play action would've sucked in some MSU safeties (since they stacked the box when Daniels was in) and the pass might've been successful. CJ just needed to stay upright long enough to play the fake and the pass.

Sidenote: I saw on TV that Iowa's offensive line was one of five finalists for offensive line of the year in college football. Huh?? With those tackles?

Last edited:
The real unsolved mystery is why CJ sat all last year....did he suddenly 'get good' right after the Hawk-slayer game?

Latest posts