Why Rudock left

Did Rudock make the call to block the punt in the 3rd quarter?
I have been hearing more and more about this block punt disaster. Honestly, we can't have it both ways. The fan base is always calling for KF to stop being so conservative. He took a chance, it backfired, it happens. He didn't know that our offense would do basically nothing with the exception of one huge play in the second half. Sure in hindsight we shouldn't have taken the risk and got the defense more rest, but I don't have a problem with him taking a shot at a big play in a championship game.

I have been hearing more and more about this block punt disaster. Honestly, we can't have it both ways. The fan base is always calling for KF to stop being so conservative. He took a chance, it backfired, it happens. He didn't know that our offense would do basically nothing with the exception of one huge play in the second half. Sure in hindsight we shouldn't have taken the risk and got the defense more rest, but I don't have a problem with him taking a shot at a big play in a championship game.

You beat me to it. Kirk took exactly one shot in that game but since it didn't work, it was the wrong time.

except Walsh didn't play nearly as well last year and the guard spot was a disaster (so much so we had to move Blythe there just to stabilize it), CJ wouldn't have had plenty of time. Some of you are having memory issues.

The defense was a tire fire at times last year, which is generally what happens when you're playing so many freshmen. That experience led to this season's resurgence though.

There are 2 ways to argue against you. First, a really good qb can mask a lot of problems, especially when you have a weak schedule. We lost 4 really close games where there were plays to be had and the qb didn't make them. CJ makes plays that aren't even there. Second, it really looks like the team rallies around CJ. Just his presence could have made the oline block better, the runningbacks run harder, the wide receivers run better routes, and the defense play harder. If we could somehow go back and replay the season with CJ at qb, I would be more surprised if we didn't end up in Indy than if we did.

There are 2 ways to argue against you. First, a really good qb can mask a lot of problems, especially when you have a weak schedule. We lost 4 really close games where there were plays to be had and the qb didn't make them. CJ makes plays that aren't even there. Second, it really looks like the team rallies around CJ. Just his presence could have made the oline block better, the runningbacks run harder, the wide receivers run better routes, and the defense play harder. If we could somehow go back and replay the season with CJ at qb, I would be more surprised if we didn't end up in Indy than if we did.

lol, chemistry was a key part of Iowa's success this year for sure, but so was talent and experience.

Look, I'm done with this silly discussion. If you feel the need to lay every bad thing that happened to Iowa football last year at Rudock's feet, go ahead. You'll be wrong, but sometimes you just have to let people be wrong.

Jake left because of oldkirk. Heck, who knew there'd be a newkirk? Who knows when newkirk will come to the forefront? Jake realized once a starting QB is announced by oldkirk, he stays as starting QB come he!! or high water. The Jake Christensen situation with Stanzi was an outlier. Who knew exactly how much had to go into getting KF to change his mind in the Stanzi/Christensen case? KF is an expert on making these decisions?

If Jake Rudock had pulled one of those close games at the end of the 2014 season out of the fire (particularly Nebraska), I think Iowa sees CJ transferring. The ISU loss didn't seem to matter. The Ball State close win didn't seem to matter. The Purdue win didn't seem to matter. The second half win at Pittsburgh didn't seem to matter.

Jake knew once oldkirk named CJ as his starting QB, CJ would stay as starting QB. Jake knew he'd get very little playing time.
If oldkirk had said "There will be a competition for starting QB this season", Jake would know oldkirk was displeased with his performance but Jake still had a shot to start. Maybe Jake would've stayed. Iowa really needed him in the QB mix this season. Particularly when CJ was injured.

Yes, Jake also left Iowa for Michigan because he was probably 'guaranteed' the starting QB position by Harbaugh.

In other news, it seems the staff sat Brandon Wegher down and had a little heart-to-heart. He is being forced to move to slot receiver "or else". Word is, Oklahoma wants him.

More to follow...

I wonder how much latitude the Beathards gave KF in naming the starting QB? I don't remember much of what they said at that Nashville radio station last December. I didn't think it mattered much. I thought CJ was long gone. I thought oldkirk would automatically name Jake as starter next season...and play CJ little, again.

I hope they didn't put some 'mafioso-like' pressure on KF to name CJ as starter or he transfers. IMO, that kind of pressure would make me, as a coach, want to yearn for an early retirement. Along with the ticket sales pressure. Along with more wins. Along with providing enough training for Brian to be an adequate coach...yearn for an early retirement.

Any chance you might "retire"? As in, "quit" this board?

except Walsh didn't play nearly as well last year and the guard spot was a disaster (so much so we had to move Blythe there just to stabilize it), CJ wouldn't have had plenty of time. Some of you are having memory issues.

The defense was a tire fire at times last year, which is generally what happens when you're playing so many freshmen. That experience led to this season's resurgence though.

Pass protection was much better in 2014. RG is the least important position for pass protection and LT is the most important. Obviously we had an Outland Trophy winner there. At least if there's an issue at RG the QB will see it coming.

Deficiencies everywhere is why we lost close games to bad teams with an average qb. I'm not arguing that we could compete with the top 10 with CJ last year. We didn't play any top 10 teams so it doesn't matter. I don't know if you think a big upgrade at qb can't help in a one possession game or if you don't think CJ would have been a big upgrade. Either way you're wrong. How many times has Coble and Vandy made great catches with defenders all over them? Jake doesn't even attempt to throw into those windows. How many times were receivers running wide open last year compared to this year? With last year's receivers, CJ would have been unstoppable.

Did you come up with this while brushing your teeth or driving in your car?
He gagged on his morning bitter pill.He's done this low whine / pi$$-n-moan in other threads. It's so charismatic and endearing.

I wonder how much latitude the Beathards gave KF in naming the starting QB? I don't remember much of what they said at that Nashville radio station last December. I didn't think it mattered much. I thought CJ was long gone. I thought oldkirk would automatically name Jake as starter next season...and play CJ little, again.

I hope they didn't put some 'mafioso-like' pressure on KF to name CJ as starter or he transfers. IMO, that kind of pressure would make me, as a coach, want to yearn for an early retirement. Along with the ticket sales pressure. Along with more wins. Along with providing enough training for Brian to be an adequate coach...yearn for an early retirement.
Well if they did....it worked beyond that don't know don't care

That's why you always Take the points. :cool:

You sumabitch. You know what's funny about taking the points. Whenever someone kicks a field goal on 4th down and there is a defensive penalty that gives them the 1st down, they always accept the penalty unless it is an end of game situation. That is the only time you can truly "take the points" yet no one ever does. They risk getting no points in hopes of scoring a touchdown. Why does no one ever complain about not "taking the points" there?

Latest posts