Why isn't Marble running point?

HawksFan4Life

Although we won the game, we are a lot better than than anyone thought. My concern is that White is not as active offensively or defensively if RDM is not having the ball in his hand. Maybe not at point but on all fast break opportunities. Sure RD got 30, but White had a crap game because RDM and White have a relationship like Sr. and BJ. So let's let them work their magic. The competition is going to get a lot tougher so Great Job Hawks but let's not forget how we EAT!!

I think they are trying to get him to be cutting more without the basketball. I think both him and Gesell are finally getting what they are supposed to do, and it is making a difference. He is playing playing off the ball. It worked tonight but there are times I like him at the point. If Gesell is hesitating, which he has done a few times this year, then I would try Marble at the point. But even then Clemmons has been playing well enough to deserve some minutes at the one.

We play the best with RD with the ball in his hands. He has a high Bball IQ, and the ability to find the open guy. Remember White's big games.

White has had some big games but those games are either when he is getting to the line, or getting the ball out in space. Xavier actually played the break better than us. This actually surprised me as we generally have more speed than the teams we play. White needs to be more assertive as his 15-18 foot jump shot is falling with more consistency.

White's best games have been when RD was finding him open. His best plays have come from RD. Take the oop off the backboard for example. RD got White into that game. We need RD with the ball in his hands because not only can he score, he can find the open guys when they start to double and triple team him.

Roy not playing point had little to do with AW struggles.

Give credit to Xavier as they limited our opportunities in transition.

They sagged on white and dared him to take the outside shot. He attempted two 3s that I recall and missed both.

Until Aaron can develop his outside shot, his half court game can be limited and he seemed unafressive tonight.

I honestly think Marble is better for this team playing off the ball. It allows Mike and Sapp to play their natural position and be more effective. Working without the ball allows him to create more space for when he actually gets the ball and he can then create with more room to work with. You can run offenses through players without them needing to constantly have the ball in their hands ie like what I just said and Matt Gatens would be an example of another way to run an offense through a guy. White's seemingly ineffective game came mostly from Xavier's transition defense and playing off him and forcing him to think about shooting. Anybody following this team closely knows Aaron isn't much of a threat in the half court offense if defended correctly and will continue to be like that until he starts attempting and making more jumpers. When teams play off him he has less chances to use his quick first step to drive by his guy and make an attempt at the basket resulting in his usual drawing the foul and heading to the line for some freebies. To Aaron's credit he has shown flashes of the mid range jumper but nobody should take that part of his game seriously until he starts making the defense pay consistently. I could go on but I think that's enough for now. Tonight was a great win to have under their belts and with knowing how much they can still improve to go along with how good they already are makes me glad it's college basketball season again!

White plays best when he is getting out on the fast break or secondary break. He struggles in the half court. Gesell is our best pg. white isn't a 3 which hurts his half court game as he plays out of position. Wings have the ball a lot so Devyn doesn't need to be pg to have the ball. Devyn doesn't push the ball on the fast break as well as gesell or Clemons and that is where white thrives. Teams that can slow us down in the fast break will negate white. His only other game at this point is to get fouled and go to the line.

Kind of changing the subject here, but I wonder if Fran is considering sitting Dev tmrw night or putting a minutes limit on him. I would rather take my chances against UTEP without much Marble if it meant he would be as fresh as possible against Kansas/Villanova. I think UTEP boasts less of a challenge than Xavier and our depth could beat them without our best player. Should be interesting to see how things play out

We play the best with RD with the ball in his hands. He has a high Bball IQ, and the ability to find the open guy. Remember White's big games.

The problem with that is the other four tend to stand around and watch. No off-ball cutting or picks. Just a lot of RDM one-on-one. Kind of like Kobe with the Lakers before they got Gasol.

White's issue is his own. After 3 seasons he should have a pull-up/perimeter game. His game relies on running the break, garbage put backs and drives to the basket where he gets fouled. That is it. Against better athletes and competition he disappears.

Terrible timing for post. Marble has Second best game ever running at sg. Clemmons and gessel did fine. White just isn't looking to score in half court offense enough. Hesitant and also lacking any newer developed methods of offense. Maybe needs to work on post, hop stepping to score spot, shots on move off screens.

Marble scoring, Gabes free throws, and mikes clutch play in Ot won this.

The turnovers and multiple second chance shots allowed (especially on last possession) were very disappointing. Maybe add Uthoffs play.

Without their nba prospect going out or their post player being sick (stayed home) I have trouble seeing iowa win this game.

Really liked the Mable decoy/screen play for McCabe. Frans offense hasn't showed that kinda of complexity very often.

Marble has the ball in his hands a ton, even when he doesn't bring it up the floor. I think that it has been a "comfort" thing for him, but he can get past that, and looks like he is getting past that from last nights performance.

Marble point guard experiment is over, I said a long time ago and many times he need to score for this team. Also doesn't handle the ball well enough to play point. Its not going to happen again team so so so much better with him off the ball.