Why isn't Marble running point?

marble cant handle the ball as well as gessell but he does okay at point..

the one thing I do like about him playing the point is that gessell does okay when he has a catch and shoot.

Not sure though we are better all the time with marble there.

Like when we run the baseline game with Josh O.. marble isn't very good as reading that or getting the angles for the pass... a lot of time because he is dribbling with his back to the basket because he isn't as comfortable a ball handler.

Marble can absolutely handle the ball as well as Gessel. Before tonight Gessell couldn't go left. Let's be honest, Craft was ripping Gessel. We got down 9. Fran put RD at point.... and we see what happend there. A tall linky pg is dangerous. We still need Gessel at point, but to close the close games out going forward don't be surprised if RD has the ball in his hands at point.

We just beat #3 Ohio State on their court with Marble running point to close the game. Kraft fouled out because he couldn't handle him.

Marble wasn't so much running the point as he was just holding the ball before drawing a foul and going to the line. Gesell played well today; outside of points, his and Marble's numbers were nearly identical.

Craft fouled out because they were fouling at the end of the game. 4th foul with :59 left down 8, 5th with :43 left down 10.

True, but he initially got into foul trouble because of how we worked him through screens. Otherwise, he would have gone into the final minutes with maybe 1 foul.

Marble can absolutely handle the ball as well as Gessel. Before tonight Gessell couldn't go left. Let's be honest, Craft was ripping Gessel. We got down 9. Fran put RD at point.... and we see what happend there. A tall linky pg is dangerous. We still need Gessel at point, but to close the close games out going forward don't be surprised if RD has the ball in his hands at point.

Gesell wasn't "getting ripped" and was guarded by Scott just as often as he was by Craft, if not more so. But when Fran gave him a blow, he could only give the ball to Marble or Sapp. When Gesell was on the floor with Marble, he was running the offense at least 85% of the time.

Another thought is when Marble is at point... Iowa can go bigger - RM, JU, AW, MB & JO were on the court most of the last 3 minutes and each one can shoot free throws.

I think Fran wanted to keep OSU from fouling MG and putting him on the line. Like it or not, MG has struggled at the line in big games.

Another thought is when Marble is at point... Iowa can go bigger - RM, JU, AW, MB & JO were on the court most of the last 3 minutes and each one can shoot free throws.

I think Fran wanted to keep OSU from fouling MG and putting him on the line. Like it or not, MG has struggled at the line in big games.

Agreed, but who on this team hasn't struggled from the line in big moments during big games? Marble hit some big ones last night, but prior to that win not a single Iowa player stands out as being consistent from the line in big moments. Every single player you mentioned in your first paragraph has missed them in big moments. For that reason, it isn't necessarily fair to single out MG.

He's done that forever, though. I'd love to know exactly how many times he's fouled out in his career. I'd bet it's a very low number.

I went back and looked for this season and yesterday was the first time Craft fouled out this season. I bet he fouled out a few times as a freshman as he averaged 2.7 fouls per game, the highest of his career.

This is true. I was glad that he could get the monkey off his back. You don't shoot 90% at the line in high school and then fall to a 61% shooter your sophomore year of college. I had a good feeling of Gesell having a good day when he hit that long three after they called a foul on OSU in the first quarter. It didn't count but it helped get his confidence going.

Agreed, but who on this team hasn't struggled from the line in big moments during big games? Marble hit some big ones last night, but prior to that win not a single Iowa player stands out as being consistent from the line in big moments. Every single player you mentioned in your first paragraph has missed them in big moments. For that reason, it isn't necessarily fair to single out MG.

You can say that about any player... but this year seems to be that MG has struggled at the line at crunch time. Not dissing him, he just needs to get his confidence back at the line - that's all. I think last year he was one of our most reliable at the line. RM probably struggled more last year then MG... Everyone goes through it if they play much BB...

You can say that about any player... but this year seems to be that MG has struggled at the line at crunch time. Not dissing him, he just needs to get his confidence back at the line - that's all. I think last year he was one of our most reliable at the line. RM probably struggled more last year then MG... Everyone goes through it if they play much BB...

Actually Marble was more reliable last year as he shot 81% from the line out of 189 attempts while Gesell made 79% out of 63 attempts. Both Marble's and Gesell's struggles at the lines this year have been an issue, I still argue it cost Iowa the game against Iowa State. So it was nice to see them go a combined 12 out of 15 last night on the road against Ohio State. Hopefully they both get back on track for the rest of the season, especially Marble since he is so good at drawing fouls.

Latest posts