Why is soccer even shown in America?

CWBhawkeyes

Banned
I went to a game last night and there were a whole FOUR SHOTS ON GOAL in a 1-0 game. I've heard the argument that it's the most demanding sport physically--yeah, no. Half the guys are standing around the entire time doing nothing. Why does anyone play or care about soccer at all?

They call it "the beautiful game" for a reason. Even though general American sentiment is pretty low on soccer, it is an awesome sport.

The reason that most find it boring is the same reason it is so great. Yes, goals due take time to develop but when they come to fruition they are pieces of art.

I think your hate of soccer comes from jealousy that you were probably a middle school water boy in your prime. Also, you better start to recognize, the US has a good shot to advance to the knockout stages of the World Cup. Even if you are not a fan, this is the most highly watched and anticipated international competition.

I do enjoy watching my 8 year old granddaughter play soccer. She led her team in goals this spring.

The reason that most find it boring is the same reason it is so great. Yes, goals due take time to develop but when they come to fruition they are pieces of art.

I think your hate of soccer comes from jealousy that you were probably a middle school water boy in your prime. Also, you better start to recognize, the US has a good shot to advance to the knockout stages of the World Cup. Even if you are not a fan, this is the most highly watched and anticipated international competition.

And what were you in your "prime"? JV offensive tackle in high school?

There's nothing wrong with thinking soccer is boring. It kind of is.

Good soccer skills are just amazing to watch. Passing and moving the ball up field and defenders stopping the movement are things of beauty when done well. It takes skill and great physical conditioning -- I would suggest if you really want to know why the game is most popular in the world -- learn and play the game a bit. It is hard to do well.

And what were you in your "prime"? JV offensive tackle in high school?

There's nothing wrong with thinking soccer is boring. It kind of is.

My prime was even lower than that, but it doesn't cloud my ability to see why soccer is the most popular sport in the world.

Last edited:
I went to a game last night and there were a whole FOUR SHOTS ON GOAL in a 1-0 game. I've heard the argument that it's the most demanding sport physically--yeah, no. Half the guys are standing around the entire time doing nothing. Why does anyone play or care about soccer at all?

In soccer, when a drive stalls, they don't award you with a field goal opportunity.

Good soccer skills are just amazing to watch. Passing and moving the ball up field and defenders stopping the movement are things of beauty when done well. It takes skill and great physical conditioning -- I would suggest if you really want to know why the game is most popular in the world -- learn and play the game a bit. It is hard to do well.

Well, I think it's more amazing to watch a great shooter drain shots, or watch a quarterback make a great pass, or watch a baseball player hit a home run than to watch someone kick a ball well. Those things are actually much harder to do well than kick a soccer ball.

I'm 100% with you, CWB. Soccer is not even boring to me...it's irrelevent.

Well Soccer has grown on me slightly...it doesn't hold a candle to football for me...I love watching good offensive lines and the plays develop.

Same with Basketball...I love watching a team that has good chemistry and is unselfish...BEST sport to watch when played right.

People who hate soccer usually played it as a child, but couldn't handle it so they ended up playing baseball. I played both sports when I was younger, but chose to stick with soccer. I found baseball to be boring and non athletic. The average soccer player runs 6-7 miles during the coarse of a game. That is why people quit and stick with baseball. Can't handle it.

Right, and we're in the US.

I always hear the point "LOL but soccers are the most populor sport in the worlds HAHA!"...Yeah, well this is America; we speak American, and don't care about soccer.

In the worlds? We speak American? Really? That just proves this country wasn't started with the best and brightest from England.

People who hate soccer usually played it as a child, but couldn't handle it so they ended up playing baseball. I played both sports when I was younger, but chose to stick with soccer. I found baseball to be boring and non athletic. The average soccer player runs 6-7 miles during the coarse of a game. That is why people quit and stick with baseball. Can't handle it.

That statistic is crap; like I said, half the guys stand around.

Latest posts