Why is it

floydvane

Why is it our guards insist on guarding players 35-40 feet from the rim, we have the 3/4 trap and fall back into our man-to-man or 3-2 and the other team sits up there O out by the center circle. OK if they want to waste 6-10 seconds out there so be it, but we come out there to stop a quicker guy and he is by our guy before he gets to the 3-point line, meaning help has to come over and BAM our D is messed up from the get go and we are in scramble mode. Few times last night they were doing there first ball screen outside the 3-piont line 4-5 feet.

Why is it our coach is never coaching?? This is not a fire FM thing but I can't remember the last time I saw FM grab one of the players coming off the floor and get in his ear and point out something that just happened on the floor. The Minn. coach was talking up a storm to his players. I'm watching on on TV so maybe its going on in the background.

Why is it our last second shots are never shots, we dick around and end up throwing up a prayer, and sometimes call a time out for that prayer.

all for now

Why is it our guards insist on guarding players 35-40 feet from the rim, we have the 3/4 trap and fall back into our man-to-man or 3-2 and the other team sits up there O out by the center circle. OK if they want to waste 6-10 seconds out there so be it, but we come out there to stop a quicker guy and he is by our guy before he gets to the 3-point line, meaning help has to come over and BAM our D is messed up from the get go and we are in scramble mode. Few times last night they were doing there first ball screen outside the 3-piont line 4-5 feet.

Why is it our coach is never coaching?? This is not a fire FM thing but I can't remember the last time I saw FM grab one of the players coming off the floor and get in his ear and point out something that just happened on the floor. The Minn. coach was talking up a storm to his players. I'm watching on on TV so maybe its going on in the background.

Why is it our last second shots are never shots, we dick around and end up throwing up a prayer, and sometimes call a time out for that prayer.

all for now

Did see Fran in Pemsl's ear once at least.

------Why is it our last second shots are never shots, we dick around and end up throwing up a prayer, and sometimes call a time out for that prayer.

Other than the shot at Minnesota a year or two ago, when is the last time we actually had a good look on the last shot? I honestly think it was the Luke Recker shot. And the Fran experiment does need to end soon....the ONLY thing I like about him is his fire...that's it.

------Why is it our last second shots are never shots, we dick around and end up throwing up a prayer, and sometimes call a time out for that prayer.

Other than the shot at Minnesota a year or two ago, when is the last time we actually had a good look on the last shot? I honestly think it was the Luke Recker shot. And the Fran experiment does need to end soon....the ONLY thing I like about him is his fire...that's it.

We got good looks a lot. They never go in tho. Hell Baer ended up with a good look in ot last night.

all for now

Fran has the team run great sets out of timeouts. They seem to get a very good shot mostly going towards the hoop. And, it doesn't always involve the best player (Jok, Uthoff, White, etc.).

However, for last second shot plays, it seems Iowa always runs something predictable. At the end of regulation, the play was designed to go to Jok (once Bohannon brought the ball up the court). As soon as Minnesota denied Jok, the play was blown up. For creativity, it would have been fun to see someone else off the ball set a back screen and get someone like Baer or Pemsl (I believe they were in the game) open for a shot. Or Brady Ellingson.

Fran has the team run great sets out of timeouts. They seem to get a very good shot mostly going towards the hoop. And, it doesn't always involve the best player (Jok, Uthoff, White, etc.).

However, for last second shot plays, it seems Iowa always runs something predictable. At the end of regulation, the play was designed to go to Jok (once Bohannon brought the ball up the court). As soon as Minnesota denied Jok, the play was blown up. For creativity, it would have been fun to see someone else off the ball set a back screen and get someone like Baer or Pemsl (I believe they were in the game) open for a shot. Or Brady Ellingson.

Baer was too busy screaming at the ref for a timeout to move without the ball. Getting denied timeouts twice in 20 seconds of game time is pretty impressive.

Fran had two good plays at the end of the Indiana at Iowa game last year. Iowa down 6, Clemmons hits a 3 to make it a 3 point game. Williams makes a defensive play to get Iowa the ball back with 6.3 seconds left. Inbounds to Uthoff who is doubled so he passes to Clemmons for the wide open look (remember, he just hit a 3). He misses badly and there is Woody with the rebound and the smart call for the timeout. Then, there's a great play where the Iowa players are running in circles before the ref gives the ball to Clemmons who gets it to Jok for a good look at a 3. He just misses it.

Start at 1:13:00 of this video for the ending.

Spot on. My reason for it is that Fran hasn't had a guard that can break down the D. Motion isn't terrific for getting points late on the clock.

Agree. There should be a few plays in the arsenal that can at least get you a good look. There are things that can be ran.

We got good looks a lot. They never go in tho. Hell Baer ended up with a good look in ot last night.

Well, I'm not sure I would call it a good look off a play. He kind of picked up a loose ball and had some decent space to get a decent shot attempt. When I think of a "good look", I think it's coming off a set play.

all for now
Fran was all over Baer after that last second shot he quit on at the half.

Well, I'm not sure I would call it a good look off a play. He kind of picked up a loose ball and had some decent space to get a decent shot attempt. When I think of a "good look", I think it's coming off a set play.

Yea that's true. It was a random luck good look that doesn't mean the coach did a good job. On the flip side, all the good looks that were missed by the players over the years should count for the coach doing his job.

anyone who has sat close to the bench during a game knows that Fran is always coaching but a lot of times he is focused on the game and that kind of thing is delegated to the assistants.

Just last year against ISU we had a good drive by Gesell and kick to Uthoff for 3, but he missed. Perfectly designed and exactly the shot we wanted, but he missed so history doesn't remember it the same. We also hit a kick out to Jok last year against FSU late in OT IIRC.

You mean as soon as the Minnesota player grabbed Jok's jersey with one hand and had the other arm wrapped around his chest? I realize that's not going to get called, but jeez, Fran has to know by now that's not going to be called in the Big 10 at the end of the game and should have multiple options ready.

You mean as soon as the Minnesota player grabbed Jok's jersey with one hand and had the other arm wrapped around his chest? I realize that's not going to get called, but jeez, Fran has to know by now that's not going to be called in the Big 10 at the end of the game and should have multiple options ready.

Yes, that is what I mean by ball denial. It is the B1G after all. :)

Latest posts