Why Iowa lost the game

Don't know of any one factor in this game but I'd add ..........

They had a Melvin Gordon and we didn't. Not saying we even need one equal to Gordon but our RB position is just not a threat for opposing teams to have to plan around with Iowa.

Consider Wisconsin has had 30 running plays for over 30 yards this season (23 of those over 40 yards). Iowa has had 3 over 30 yards (tied for last in the BIG)! We rank 8th in the conference in total rushing offense and it likely isn't that good because we have only played two of the top six rushing defenses in the league this year. The two we did play we lost both games........MN and WI.

So we pick and pluck our way slowly down the field and hope we don't stub our toe with a penalty or turnover.......execute flawlessly. We're trying to hit singles to win the game as we have no power hitters that can change the game with a swing of the bat. Couple that with absolutely no threat on punt returns, little shown on KO returns, and little help from special teams........it equates to putting a lot of pressure on a singles producing offense to carry the weight.

Everyone agrees the offense was sick in the first half. But if you cant understand the defense couldn't stop Wisc. on third and long you need to watch the replay. We needed the ball one more time for a FG and couldnt get it. I thought Mabin played a lot better 2nd half than the first. Feel sorry for the DL they played hard

Sometimes guys just make great plays. Those third downs were executed to perfection and more importantly just great offensive play calls. Stave made throws, Gordon made plays, and they did it in both halves. We didn't make any great plays on offense in the first half...none...nada...zero. Blaming the defense for this loss is ridiculous. Wisconsin is on a march like Sherman bringing the jubilee through the south...scorching everything in their path...our defense was tough, hard hitting, and didn't back down one bit. Stave's throw to Gordon and later on the run to seal the game were just great decisions and plays...tip your cap to him.

On the third and 11 in the first half that got them a first down, their was a holding on Meier that was just absolutely ridiculous. I don't think they get that touchdown if it's called. They weren't going to convert 3rd and 21 in that situation. We likely go into the half at a 9-3 deficit.

Blaming the d is wrong in this one. Our anemic first half and getting down 13 was the key to the game. We knew they were going to score points and we needed to match it and not fall behind. They needed to challenge Wisky's secondary from the opening bell...we didn't.

I would have liked to see Phil be much more aggressive with the blitz on those third downs, but I don't think he thought Stave would make the plays...and I get that...but after his first half...on the subsequent one...he should have brought a couple extra to ensure we got to him.

Don't know of any one factor in this game but I'd add ..........

They had a Melvin Gordon and we didn't. Not saying we even need one equal to Gordon but our RB position is just not a threat for opposing teams to have to plan around with Iowa.

Consider Wisconsin has had 30 running plays for over 30 yards this season (23 of those over 40 yards). Iowa has had 3 over 30 yards (tied for last in the BIG)! We rank 8th in the conference in total rushing offense and it likely isn't that good because we have only played two of the top six rushing defenses in the league this year. The two we did play we lost both games........MN and WI.

So we pick and pluck our way slowly down the field and hope we don't stub our toe with a penalty or turnover.......execute flawlessly. We're trying to hit singles to win the game as we have no power hitters that can change the game with a swing of the bat. Couple that with absolutely no threat on punt returns, little shown on KO returns, and little help from special teams........it equates to putting a lot of pressure on a singles producing offense to carry the weight.

Yup...if you don't threaten a team vertically they have no reason to stop loading the box. Iowa is stuck trying to open up the passing game by establishing the running game when the passing game never gets past the sticks. We saw yesterday that a vertical passing game with our receiving corp and TEs would be (and always has been) the best way to keep a defense honest or burn it if they refuse to be.

I would have liked to see Phil be much more aggressive with the blitz on those third downs, but I don't think he thought Stave would make the plays...and I get that...but after his first half...on the subsequent one...he should have brought a couple extra to ensure we got to him.

Glad you brought this up. It seems like the blitz packages worked great all season (for the most part) and for some reason it's gone bye bye the past few games.

The deeper problem here was a lack of athleticism. If Melvin Gordon sticks to his commitment this is an easy Iowa win. Not blaming him for switching just commenting on a dearth of breakaway speed/talent. Maybe that talent will develop in Parker, Wadley and in guys like Higdon. Yes, we should have passed more in the first half, but you could argue running in the first half helped make the passing game more efficient in the second. It didn't help that Jake was decidely off in the first half and Davis chose to stick to the run game. When it was clear that they'd have to pass to get back in the game he warmed up and played well. It didn't help that they had a couple of drops. but, the consistent problem here is in the talent level. Have to up the talent at safety, at DE, hopefully it's coming at RB, and WR.

When it comes to close losses, you can almost always point to 4-5 individual plays or situaltions that were the difference.

Early turnover, failing to score TD instead of fg on second drive, clock management end of first half, giving up every 3rd down, JR decision making/confidence in the 2nd quarter, a couple bad breaks on loose balls/questionable calls,

Thet positive spin on this is that the team fought back to even say One thing could have been the difference.

Still, you play in a phone booth for 1.5 quarters...you don't have much room for error...

Here is where ignorance shines bright. Time and again we have people wanting to blame the Defense because they couldn't get a stop and now it's the Defense to blame, that is just hilarious to me.. Watch that game again and you tell me which side of the ball didn't do it's job for 60 minutes.. I know for a FACT the Defense Did it's JOB... That Defense knows it also did it's job today. The Offense can't say that. The Offense didn't do **** for 38 minutes and you expect perfection from the Defense? Give me a break

You know for a FACT, do you? I suppose it was the defense's job to allow Wisconsin to pick up a first down on all those third and longs? To fail to stop Wisconsin twice on third down that final drive? To give up an 87 yard run? To allow the backup QB (who is not a passer and is only a threat to run), to go 45 yards, untouched, for a TD?

You might want to check the replay again.

You know for a FACT, do you? I suppose it was the defense's job to allow Wisconsin to pick up a first down on all those third and longs? To fail to stop Wisconsin twice on third down that final drive? To give up an 87 yard run? To allow the backup QB (who is not a passer and is only a threat to run), to go 45 yards, untouched, for a TD?

Given the length of time the defense was hung out there in the first half, yeah, the defense did do its job. We had one sustained drive in the first half and came out of the gate looking terrible in the second half. That defense didn't quit. Wisconsin regularly exerts its will on a defense in the second half. We gave up a few key first downs, but that defense worked their butts off and didn't quit.

the answer is "the coaching staff", namely KF. Even middle school coaches know you have to adapt your offense to where the talent is, after 2 games it was painfully apparent that Iowa's run game was not its strength yet KF continues to try and fail. If he would have gone pass at the beginning of the 2nd half Iowa might have won this game but he'd rather lose playing "his" style than win.

the answer is "the coaching staff", namely KF. Even middle school coaches know you have to adapt your offense to where the talent is, after 2 games it was painfully apparent that Iowa's run game was not its strength yet KF continues to try and fail. If he would have gone pass at the beginning of the 2nd half Iowa might have won this game but he'd rather lose playing "his" style than win.

Unless you have a fantastic run game, which we don't right now, you need to pass to set up the run, not vice versa. Trying to run into the defensive sets Wisconsin threw at us early was incredibly stupid.

Yeah I do know it's fact. I didn't say much yesterday after the game however I can tell you that my comments today are a direct result of having watched it the game twice, something I'm guessing you haven't done. The offense once again put the early pressure on the Defense and they did there job!!

Proud of the defense. Great effort. Made a lot of great stops. Kept Iowa in the game. Gave up too many third down and longs but Gordon and Co. deserve full credit here; they just make plays.

This loss falls squarely (again) on offensive ineptitude in the first half. Hawkeye players were not being put in a position to make big plays down field (or simply weren't taking advantage of opportunities).

Having said that ... here's one fan who truly appreciates the GREAT effort put forth by Iowa's players yesterday--on BOTH sides of the ball! Hope we see more of the same against Nebraska.

One more thought: What a difference two fumbles made in this hard-fought game. Weisman's turned out to be a real killer as it cost 3 points. Gordon's was somehow recovered by the bad guys.

Offensive output in the first half. No question.

There's more to it then the Offense being the reason Iowa lost.

1. Wisconsin is a better team.
2. I'll agree with you above to a point. The first 2 1/2 qtr's, Iowa was playing not to lose. There was no flow or offensive identity at all.
3. 3rd down defense in the 2nd half was MIA. Who taught Iowa's LB's to run with their back to the play? Alston looked lost on Stave's scramble.
4. Bad clock management at the end of the first half. This has been beaten to death already. May have gotten a FG if it were better.
5. Believing MW is the best tailback option on 1st and 2nd down. Love the guys heart, but he's not a TB.

What is most maddening to me is what Iowa did the 1 1/2 qtr's on offense. Now we know they can do it and do it against one of the top 3 defenses in the entire country.

Here's an idea for KF. You have 2 games left in this season. Come out aggressive during pre-game warmups and don't let up until the clock reads zero after 4 qtr's. Yes, mistakes may happen, but at least your team will have gone all out versus playing it safe and boring which usually results in Iowa playing catch up.

Proud of the defense. Great effort. Made a lot of great stops. Kept Iowa in the game. Gave up too many third down and longs but Gordon and Co. deserve full credit here; they just make plays.

This loss falls squarely (again) on offensive ineptitude in the first half. Hawkeye players were not being put in a position to make big plays down field (or simply weren't taking advantage of opportunities).

Having said that ... here's one fan who truly appreciates the GREAT effort put forth by Iowa's players yesterday--on BOTH sides of the ball! Hope we see more of the same against Nebraska.

Good post. We've seen stretches of utter fail by this team. The second half against Iowa State. The first 55 minutes against Ball State. The first half at Pitt. The entire Minnesota game. The final 3 quarters against Maryland. The first half offensively versus Wisconsin. But the team has shown some glimmers and many of KF's past teams would have packed this one in after that first craptastic drive in the second half. Good effort by the team out there and I saw a lot of things that give me hope going forward, provided the staff is aggressive on offense and we can play with the same intensity we brought in the second half. I also loved the aggression we brought to tackling Gordon. If Minnesota beats them on Saturday, Jerry Kill better send Ferentz a gift basket.

Yeah I do know it's fact. I didn't say much yesterday after the game however I can tell you that my comments today are a direct result of having watched it the game twice, something I'm guessing you haven't done. The offense once again put the early pressure on the Defense and they did there job!!

The defense did NOT do their job. Gave up too many 3rd and long, and twice failed to stop Wisconsin on third down their last drive.

A good defense doesn't give up 200 yards to a running back (plus 65 receiving yards)....I don't care who it is. A good defense also doesn't let a QB run 45 yards untouched for a TD.

The overall stats might look good, but the FACT is, the defense gave up too many big plays, too many third and long, and failed at the most crucial point in the game. If you call that "doing their job", then you don't know squat about football...or else you think doing ok "most" of the time is sufficient.

So let me make sure I understand, the reason we lost was....

1) Defense
2) Offense
3) Coaching
4) Refs
5) Talent

Well, no worries I guess.

It's my thinking that the defense played a lot closer to their potential than the offense in this game, and were pretty consistent against a very good offense and up against a goliath offensive line. The offense played to their potential 50% of game, the other 50% of game was spent well below their capabilities, basically inept for 2 qtrs. I thought the players gave great effort on both sides of the ball all game long. Our offensive coaching staff simply missed it in the first half. Was nice to see them react in the 2nd half. I was thinking we would see 4 qtrs of that play, which would've been a super rough game to play or to watch. Hopefully this bodes well for us at Nebraska Friday.

What could these guys really do if they played four quarters of ball with play calling that was balanced, mixed up, aggressive and relatively unpredictable to the defense? We would all be about as happy as a baby latched onto a mammary gland now wouldn't we?

The defense did NOT do their job. Gave up too many 3rd and long, and twice failed to stop Wisconsin on third down their last drive.

A good defense doesn't give up 200 yards to a running back (plus 65 receiving yards)....I don't care who it is. A good defense also doesn't let a QB run 45 yards untouched for a TD.

The overall stats might look good, but the FACT is, the defense gave up too many big plays, too many third and long, and failed at the most crucial point in the game. If you call that "doing their job", then you don't know squat about football...or else you think doing ok "most" of the time is sufficient.

Come to think of it, you're totally right. The offense put the defense in a great position from the very first time the defense took the field and the defense failed to protect the big points cushion the stellar offensive performance handed us.

Latest posts