Why Iowa lost the game

Gibsonian

Offensive output in the first half. No question. The D allowed 13 points and played great then and in the 2nd half. The offense in the first half played not to lose and scored 3. That was the game. If the playcalling would've been there and we had played to win, passed down the field, mixed up the playcalling (passing on first down, not running up the gut multiple consecutive times, 100% predictability, etc), we win this game. It wasn't their defense that stopped us, it was our offensive game plan in the first half. You gotta play two halves to win against good teams.

If we have a different O-coordinator or one that is allowed to call the game as he sees fit (don't understand the actual situation clearly), we lose a lot less games in the past 3 yrs. I am convinced we have the players to execute against some good competition, we just don't allow our talent to perform to their capabilities with our offensive play calling.

Great game though but feel bad for the players, they really deserved to win that one.

Our coaching staff is too scared to pull out all the stops until we're behind, and when we're 16 pts down they finally opened up the playbook and realized, "hey this might work".....KF & Staff are too conservative and have been for way too long.....And for this reason will cost you more games than what it really should...

Offensive output in the first half. No question. The D allowed 13 points and played great then and in the 2nd half. The offense in the first half played not to lose and scored 3. That was the game. If the playcalling would've been there and we had played to win, passed down the field, mixed up the playcalling (passing on first down, not running up the gut multiple consecutive times, 100% predictability, etc), we win this game. It wasn't their defense that stopped us, it was our offensive game plan in the first half. You gotta play two halves to win against good teams.

If we have a different O-coordinator or one that is allowed to call the game as he sees fit (don't understand the actual situation clearly), we lose a lot less games in the past 3 yrs. I am convinced we have the players to execute against some good competition, we just don't allow our talent to perform to their capabilities with our offensive play calling.

Great game though but feel bad for the players, they really deserved to win that one.

I agree. When the announcer (Speilman, who is quite good) consistently comments about playing not to lose and needing to take shots downfield, it's become horribly obvious to everyone that GD and KF need to do this, and not when the other team expects you to do it. UW dared Iowa to pass down the field (not 4 yards) early on in the game, but Iowa dialed up plays that went into the teeth of a stacked box. It's like allowing the other team to play with 12 or 13 players.

I felt the team played admirably. The crowd was great. The game planning, not so much.

Our coaching staff is too scared to pull out all the stops until we're behind, and when we're 16 pts down they finally opened up the playbook and realized, "hey this might work".....KF & Staff are too conservative and have been for way too long.....And for this reason will cost you more games than what it really should...

See Iowa State too. Conservative, play not to lose, football at it's finest. A Hallmark of a KF team. That team will end up 2-10 with one of them a win over Iowa. If for no other reason, KF should be fired for that loss alone this year. It's a similar game to Minnesota, the game plans must have been so bad, that the result speaks for itself. Minnesota on the other hand...they will are a good team so the result was 51-14.

Sorry, but I must disagree. The Offense came ALIVE in the 2nd half, torching what was supposedly the top Defense in the conference. Unfortunately, the IOWA defense had Two (2) Golden opportunities to get the ball back, 3rd and 15 and 3rd and 8, but couldn't get off the field. Had the ball been back in Jake Rudock's hands in the 4th quarter, just one more time, IOWA would be celebrating and looking at Indy plans

The Iowa D smells like goat.

Allowing those 3rd and loooong conversions was a proximate cause of that loss.

Sorry, but I must disagree. The Offense came ALIVE in the 2nd half, torching what was supposedly the top Defense in the conference. Unfortunately, the IOWA defense had Two (2) Golden opportunities to get the ball back, 3rd and 15 and 3rd and 8, but couldn't get off the field. Had the ball been back in Jake Rudock's hands in the 4th quarter, just one more time, IOWA would be celebrating and looking at Indy plans

Fully agree here - the Hawk offense came alive in the second half. The first half doomed them. 3 points in a half is abysmal when fighting for the conference championship at home. The D held them to 10 points in the 2nd half, that is damn good imo. You can't play one half of a football game and expect to win. You are gonna run out of time, which we did.

The offense and defense both played like they should've all year....Like you said we just came a little short of time....A few key 3rd downs that we stop, or better clock management by the coach and it's a different outcome....Weismann fumble on the 2nd play of the game.....would'ves and could'ves......it's a funny game....I posed the question earlier in the week about concern on both sides of the ball....Both sides played extremely well yesterday imo....A win was there for the taking, but we have to focus now on Nebraska....come out with the same pi$$ and vinegar and kick their bodies to the curb and end up 8-4...

Fully agree here - the Hawk offense came alive in the second half. The first half doomed them. 3 points in a half is abysmal when fighting for the conference championship at home. The D held them to 10 points in the 2nd half, that is damn good imo. You can't play one half of a football game and expect to win. You are gonna run out of time, which we did.

The first half offense certainly had a significant role in putting us behind the eight ball, but the defense's abysmal 3rd down performance is what allowed Wisconsin to keep the ball and run out the clock. If the defense does its job in third and a mile situations, the offense gets the ball back with a chance to take the lead, which they likely would have done, considering how the offense was playing at that point.

The travesty of it all is that KF thought that Iowa could do what they've done in the previous 10 games offensively and I guess do it better against Wisconsin. :) KF and GD look like fools today for that strategy especially with what was on the line. Andersen said after the game that Wisconsin was fortunate Iowa didn't get the ball back because he had no idea how they would be able to stop it.

That was a complete joke of a first half..

Where was that Offense the first 38 minutes. ??? Give me a break, this loss is strictly on the hilarious thinking that Iowa could win with a balanced attack against Wisconsin with a FB at our TB position. Wisconsin was licking it's chops to thought..

Wisconsin scored only 26 points the Defense did it's job.. !! KF and GD didn't...

The tale of two halves has me scratching my head....why can't Kirk & Co. get it through their thick heads that this is maybe how our offense should be (all the time and not just when we're behind)....I think I heard from every posted yesterday say..."Where the hell has this been all year?" Ladies and gentlemen, I have to agree....Look at how much more Jake was in the game when he started to move the ball.....the line seemed better, receivers were getting open....backs were (for the most part) picking up blitzes...It was fun to watch....and b/c of the offense getting into it, our defense was also...they played hard all game, and if we could take back those two 3rd and longs.....we have a chance to pull it out...

Where was that Offense the first 38 minutes. ??? Give me a break, this loss is strictly on the hilarious thinking that Iowa could win with a balanced attack against Wisconsin with a FB at our TB position. Wisconsin was licking it's chops to thought..

Wisconsin scored only 26 points the Defense did it's job.. !! KF and GD didn't...

The defense did NOT do its job. Absolutely pathetic on third down all game. And when the game was on the line all they had to do was make one....just one...stop. And they fell apart. Twice. Gave Stave a wide open path to run uncontested for the first down. There wasn't a single Hawk on that side of the field. Why not? Same thing happened against Ohio State in 2010...only then it was 4th and 10.

The defense did NOT do its job. Absolutely pathetic on third down all game. And when the game was on the line all they had to do was make one....just one...stop. And they fell apart. Twice. Gave Stave a wide open path to run uncontested for the first down. There wasn't a single Hawk on that side of the field. Why not? Same thing happened against Ohio State in 2010...only then it was 4th and 10.

Here is where ignorance shines bright. Time and again we have people wanting to blame the Defense because they couldn't get a stop and now it's the Defense to blame, that is just hilarious to me.. Watch that game again and you tell me which side of the ball didn't do it's job for 60 minutes.. I know for a FACT the Defense Did it's JOB... That Defense knows it also did it's job today. The Offense can't say that. The Offense didn't do **** for 38 minutes and you expect perfection from the Defense? Give me a break

Everyone agrees the offense was sick in the first half. But if you cant understand the defense couldn't stop Wisc. on third and long you need to watch the replay. We needed the ball one more time for a FG and couldnt get it. I thought Mabin played a lot better 2nd half than the first. Feel sorry for the DL they played hard

Everyone agrees the offense was sick in the first half. But if you cant understand the defense couldn't stop Wisc. on third and long you need to watch the replay. We needed the ball one more time for a FG and couldnt get it. I thought Mabin played a lot better 2nd half than the first. Feel sorry for the DL they played hard

We knew going into the game that the OFFENSE needed to step it up and the fact that they laid n egg for 3/4th of the game was the problem and during that time the Defense was doing what it's suppose to be doing keeping Iowa in it... I understand completely the stops that didn't happen by the Defense. However anyone passing blame on a Defense that held a team to 14 points under there scoring average, needs to get a grip..

We knew going into the game that the OFFENSE needed to step it up and the fact that they laid n egg for 3/4th of the game was the problem and during that time the Defense was doing what it's suppose to be doing keeping Iowa in it... I understand completely the stops that didn't happen by the Defense. However anyone passing blame on a Defense that held a team to 14 points under there scoring average, needs to get a grip..

With the game on the line, the D choked on a big fat one. Twice.

The D failed when it mattered. Ergo the D smells like goat.

We have the talent to win,until the coaches open up the offense it's going to be same o same o.Everyone else can see it and that's why it's frustrating to go to the games and watch.The players are doing there job(except Minn. game)and playing there best,hats off to them. Thought Jake played a good game when coaches stretched the field and let him make plays.I thought if we could of gotten the lead and made Wisconsin throw the ball more it might of been a different outcome.We need a OC that will open up offense and don't be so predictable(as soon as Wadley came in we new the jet sweep was coming). Oh well nuff said.GO HAWKS

The only thing I will say in Kirk's and Greg's defense.......trying to establish a running game early on.....I don't blame them in a conventional sense because I think they were trying to keep Wisconsin's offense off of the field and dominate the time of posession. In a way, they were doing just that. However, it was becoming increasingly apparent that we were dying a slow death with this tactic as we were struggling to pick up first downs and Wisconsin was getting points when they were on offense.

The offense needed to open up much sooner than it did. I was screaming for CJB, but Rudock played pretty well when the shackles were removed. I still question his arm strength, but he played pretty tough out there. He was playing to win at the end. To bad scheme wise it did not come sooner.

And the defense played admirably but they could not get off the field when it mattered the most. It felt like watching 2010 OSU at Kinnick. This game was similar to that game in that sense.

Latest posts