Why Fran was right and wrong on JBO

NorthKCHawk

Look, it won't be hard to find posts from me suggesting JBO's minutes should go elsewhere. Happy he was on the court the last few nights and I love to eat crow. But, the debate is not over.

Here is how Fran was right to stick with JBO. Fran knows that this team is not going anywhere without a Robin. We have a Batman. Big time. His twin brother is an ascending player, but is somewhat redundant in skillset and just not there yet. Beyond JBO, the other three guards are all nice players, but all of them are probably at or near their ceilings. From a playmaking perspective, JT, Uhlis, and Perkins are never going to be difference makers. JBO has shown in the past that he can take over a game, and last night he did.

Now, its one night. But, if this team is going to go anywhere in March, JBO has to continue to find his form. So, I posit that Fran was right to keep running JBO out there even when he couldn't hit the broad side of a barn, because him finding his stroke is the difference between this team being capable of making noise down the stretch or not.

Here is where Fran was dead wrong. The shooting guard experiment was a disaster from the get go. JBO can't play it. He looked uncomfortable. He was ineffective. He is an ego maniac and needs the ball in his hands. It took Fran way too long to admit he was wrong and shift the line-up. Way too long.

Look, teams may adjust to JBO and he may slide back into a slump. Good teams will not leave him open like that. 30 won't happen again. But, if he can go 4-7 from 3, knock down some FTs, and distribute the ball well, this team could be a tough out down the stretch.

Latest posts