Why dont top PGs want to play for Fran?

That's good stuff. So in your opinion, would you rather Connor not redshirt this year to get him through the program faster? I guess it's probably hard to answer until we see what he looks like. If I had to put odds on why Fran hasn't had a great point guard, I would say 75% Connor, 25% random luck, and 0% sucks at recruiting that position.

0% of it is Fran's fault. Of course you would say that. Haha!

Connor is not the quick ball handling point guard we need. He's more of an off guard like several others on the team. Great passer, but not the magic man with the ball we desperately need.

Why does that matter? You said the reason Fran wasn't getting point guards was 75% because of Connor but you don't know those recruits either.

It will either be because he doesn't want to play for Iowa because of Connor being there, or he likes another school better. My guess is the odds are at 0% that he chooses another school because he's a point guard and point guards don't like Fran. That is just a dumb arguement that has no rationale whatsoever if you take one second to stop and think about it.

Try to come up with one reason that even makes a tiny bit of sense why 2s, 3s, 4s, and 5s are fine playing for Fran, but 1s don't want to. Just one reason that even makes a tiny bit of sense.

It will either be because he doesn't want to play for Iowa because of Connor being there, or he likes another school better. My guess is the odds are at 0% that he chooses another school because he's a point guard and point guards don't like Fran. That is just a dumb arguement that has no rationale whatsoever if you take one second to stop and think about it.

Try to come up with one reason that even makes a tiny bit of sense why 2s, 3s, 4s, and 5s are fine playing for Fran, but 1s don't want to. Just one reason that even makes a tiny bit of sense.

If I had to guess I would say it's because Fran doesn't develop point guards. Cartwright regressed under him and Mike and Sapp never really got much better from when they got here to when they left, Sapp even taking a huge step back his sophomore year. He's had success developing every other position and recruits take notice of that. In today's game so many programs play two point guards together so to pretend top point guards are scared away by a 3 star combo guard is pretty dumb in my opinion.

If I had to guess I would say it's because Fran doesn't develop point guards. Cartwright regressed under him and Mike and Sapp never really got much better from when they got here to when they left, Sapp even taking a huge step back his sophomore year. He's had success developing every other position and recruits take notice of that. In today's game so many programs play two point guards together so to pretend top point guards are scared away by a 3 star combo guard is pretty dumb in my opinion.

I highly doubt that Cartwright has factored into a single recruits decision. Possibly Clemmons but he was always a backup until his senior year where he played pretty good. So really it comes down to whether Gesell not developing would scare kids off. I highly doubt it but at least you came up with something which is all I asked.

There is just too small of a sample size at point guard under Fran to decide if he can develop them or not. 2 year juco, 4 year starter, and a sophomore in his second year as a starter. There's just not that much there yet. Which is kinda weird because it's year 8.

I highly doubt that Cartwright has factored into a single recruits decision. Possibly Clemmons but he was always a backup until his senior year where he played pretty good. So really it comes down to whether Gesell not developing would scare kids off. I highly doubt it but at least you came up with something which is all I asked.

There is just too small of a sample size at point guard under Fran to decide if he can develop them or not. 2 year juco, 4 year starter, and a sophomore in his second year as a starter. There's just not that much there yet. Which is kinda weird because it's year 8.

That makes way more sense than a top point guard being scared off by Connor. Fran has been here for 8 years and hasn't developed a point guard. I can promise you that gets used against us on the recruiting trail and something recruits consider when making a life changing decision.

That makes way more sense than a top point guard being scared off by Connor. Fran has been here for 8 years and hasn't developed a point guard. I can promise you that gets used against us on the recruiting trail and something recruits consider when making a life changing decision.

I wish we were talking about top point guards but we aren't. We are talking about good point guards. Fran hasn't landed a top recruit at any position yet. Except maybe Wieskamp. I'm not sure where he's ranked position wise.

I wish we were talking about top point guards but we aren't. We are talking about good point guards. Fran hasn't landed a top recruit at any position yet. Except maybe Wieskamp. I'm not sure where he's ranked position wise.

Good point guards aren't going to be scared off by a 3 star combo guard.

And it's not even about being scared off. It's about trying to decide between two schools and using that as a tie breaker.

I can give you a good reason and it’s the main reason. Fran believes in a rotational motion offense

And it's not even about being scared off. It's about trying to decide between two schools and using that as a tie breaker.

No I don't think they'd be scared off by a 3 star combo guard even if he's the coaches son. When was the last time we even finished second place for a good point guard?

Last edited:
No I don't think they'd be scared off by a 3 star combo guard even if he's the coaches son. When was the last time we even finished second place for a good point guard?

You're the one who memorized 8 point guards Fran whiffed on. What were all their second place teams?

You're the one who memorized 8 point guards Fran whiffed on. What were all their second place teams?

Moore was the only one we really had a good shot at in my opinion and he didn't not come here because of Connor. The Connor excuse is played out, especially because Fran can point to where he played Mike and Sapp together and Connor is a combo guard anyways. Fran just isn't good at recruiting point guards just like Kirk isn't good at recruiting wide receivers.

Latest posts