Why dont top PGs want to play for Fran?

You're a really bright guy. You can't decipher jokes at all. You are the smartest poster on here.

See I just used sarcasm, switched to truth, then switched back to sarcasm. No one does that because it's too hard to follow.
You used truth, sarcasm and then truth lol

Well I'm going to skip over all the joke deciphering and try addressing the original topic. I think it's just one of those deals where it's how the cookie crumbles. I mean Ulis would have fit in just perfect had he came. But he was patient and got an offer to KY. Not many folks are turning that down. At Iowa most likely he ends up staying longer? Who knows.
I just wish Connor was healthy. Because I think he and JBo compliment each other pretty well. That to me means more than just can CM play PG or is he more of a combo guard. Those two's styles and overall games will mesh really well if we can just get them more floor time together. This year being the throwaway year it's been (for CM and team overall) I look forward to next yr and seeing how things go.

Well I'm going to skip over all the joke deciphering and try addressing the original topic. I think it's just one of those deals where it's how the cookie crumbles. I mean Ulis would have fit in just perfect had he came. But he was patient and got an offer to KY. Not many folks are turning that down. At Iowa most likely he ends up staying longer? Who knows.
I just wish Connor was healthy. Because I think he and JBo compliment each other pretty well. That to me means more than just can CM play PG or is he more of a combo guard. Those two's styles and overall games will mesh really well if we can just get them more floor time together. This year being the throwaway year it's been (for CM and team overall) I look forward to next yr and seeing how things go.

The worst part about Fran putting all his eggs in the Ulis basket was he wasn't going to come to Iowa even if Kentucky didn't offer. You have to know where you stand with recruits and I think he struggles with that.

The worst part about Fran putting all his eggs in the Ulis basket was he wasn't going to come to Iowa even if Kentucky didn't offer. You have to know where you stand with recruits and I think he struggles with that.
Very true. If Iowa was more like 4th on his list and not 2nd then there ya go... I could see that being tricky. Kids can have a tough time not telling coaches what they want to hear to their faces/on the phones too.

Very true. If Iowa was more like 4th on his list and not 2nd then there ya go... I could see that being tricky. Kids can have a tough time not telling coaches what they want to hear to their faces/on the phones too.

We weren't second on his list once Kentucky offered. Fran should have known he was going to play for Izzo if Kentucky didn't jump in and had a better backup plan.

We weren't second on his list once Kentucky offered. Fran should have known he was going to play for Izzo if Kentucky didn't jump in and had a better backup plan.

Lol there is a school that gets second place with almost every recruit.

Lol there is a school that gets second place with almost every recruit.

That is true but we put all our eggs in the Ulis basket and we couldn't even finish second for him, we finished third. I just don't think Fran is always aware of where we stand on the recruiting trail. I don't know if he doesn't push hard enough to get answers or what but it's cost us.

Hey it's not my fault it has taken 5+ pages to try to get someone to understand how sarcasm works.
I say we should limit our attempts to improve the cognition of our fellow posters. Those that need it don't have the ability to benefit from your efforts.

Because no other coach in the history of the NCAA has ever had his son play point guard on the team he coached..... (Bryce Drew and Saul Smith immediately come to mind)
Saul Smith @ Kentucky is a good example of what can happen in this situation.
Kentucky went from 35-4 and a National Championship in Saul's 1st season Where he played 13 mins per game, avg 2.5 ppg.
to 28-9 his SO season where he played 17 mins per game and avg 5 ppg
to 23-10 his JR season where his mins jumped to 29 mins per game and avg 6.6 ppg
to 24-10 his SR season where he played 29 mins per game and avg 6.8 ppg
So, his production certainly didn't warrant the minutes he played at Kentucky, no less. And the results are obvious in the W/L column, over that time period. Kentucky jumped back up to a 32-4 record the season after Saul Smith graduated. Now, either Tubby Smith didn't recruit elite PGs that a school like Kentucky always does or he couldn't get any of them to sign....because of his son playing PG.

Kentucky went from 35-4 and a National Championship in Saul's 1st season Where he played 13 mins per game, avg 2.5 ppg.
to 23-10 his JR season where his mins jumped to 29 mins per game and avg 6.6 ppg
So, his production certainly didn't warrant the minutes he played at Kentucky, no less. And the results are obvious in the W/L column, over that time period. Kentucky jumped back up to a 32-4 record the season after Saul Smith graduated. Now, either Tubby Smith didn't recruit elite PGs that a school like Kentucky always does or he couldn't get any of them to sign....because of his son playing PG.

Point taken. I only pointed out two that immediately came to my mind. You and I both know that many coaches who have sons have successfully recruited them, possibly at the expense of better players. I was only pointing out that Fran is not the first to do this and will not be the last.

Point taken. I only pointed out two that immediately came to my mind. You and I both know that many coaches who have sons have successfully recruited them, possibly at the expense of better players. I was only pointing out that Fran is not the first to do this and will not be the last.
I got that. Your reference to Saul Smith got me thinking and when I looked at the results, it was fairly obvious how that had a negative impact on Kentucky basketball. Thought I'd share it.

That's good stuff. So in your opinion, would you rather Connor not redshirt this year to get him through the program faster? I guess it's probably hard to answer until we see what he looks like. If I had to put odds on why Fran hasn't had a great point guard, I would say 75% Connor, 25% random luck, and 0% sucks at recruiting that position.

That's good stuff. So in your opinion, would you rather Connor not redshirt this year to get him through the program faster? I guess it's probably hard to answer until we see what he looks like. If I had to put odds on why Fran hasn't had a great point guard, I would say 75% Connor, 25% random luck, and 0% sucks at recruiting that position.
I have no idea if having Connor here for 4 more seasons is a plus or a minus. Haven't seen him play enough against D-1 caliber opponents.

Latest posts