Who’s the odd man out in the backcourt if Jbo plays?

I get your “argument” but to me it’s not totally accurate. Moss is a shooting guard who literally would have been a terrible point guard. Connor is a point guard, who in my opinion is fairly worthless as a shooting guard without a shot (maybe that will come).

With the make up of this year’s roster, it appears we have a few more options at PG than we did last year, assuming a healthy JBo. That’s the difference. Connor played last year but wasn’t a better player than Moss. Say for argument sake he’s behind JBo, Joe T and Evelyn at PG. For the sake of argument maybe he’s a better basketball player than CJF (that’s very unlikely IMO), but he wouldn’t deserve minutes because he’s not a better 2 guard and the other guys are ahead of him at the 1 spot.

This argument doesn’t need to be about Connor either. It could really be about any guard. Someone, perhaps multiple in that group are going to lose out on minutes if JBo is healthy and plays.

Connor isn't a 2 guard, but he can push other guys over to the 2 by playing the 1. If CJ is a downgrade from Moss, that pushes Bohannon and Evelyn to the 2 more. If Evelyn is a downgrade over Moss, that means Bohannon plays more 2. If Joe T is a downgrade over Moss, that means Connor likely gets all the backup minutes at the 1. With a few guys that can play both guard spots, I think it makes my arguement true. I just feel like for Fran, the benchmark for whether to play Connor over another guy is right around how good that guy is to Moss. That's because I feel like Fran thinks that's about how good Connor is.

I’m with you that there are some reasons for optimism. But there are also areas for some pause. I’m excited for Nunge but probably more importantly we need someone to emerge in that backcourt.

I think the other wild card is Fran’s rotation management. I’m not a big Fran basher but I think it’s fair to say he’s fails with his rotations from time to time. The second part of that is he’s now coaching two of his sons. If Connor’s shot doesn’t come around does he really deserve minutes? Maybe I don’t know I’m just asking the question. Team morale could go in a hurry if his sons are playing more than they deserve.
Rotations reminded me of fans who would get mad about Davis when he seemed to always sub out the shooter with the hot hand!

Connor isn't a 2 guard, but he can push other guys over to the 2 by playing the 1. If CJ is a downgrade from Moss, that pushes Bohannon and Evelyn to the 2 more. If Evelyn is a downgrade over Moss, that means Bohannon plays more 2. If Joe T is a downgrade over Moss, that means Connor likely gets all the backup minutes at the 1. With a few guys that can play both guard spots, I think it makes my arguement true. I just feel like for Fran, the benchmark for whether to play Connor over another guy is right around how good that guy is to Moss. That's because I feel like Fran thinks that's about how good Connor is.
Again I get your argument. JBo and Evelyn can likely play the 2. If Fran really thinks Connor is Moss’s level I’d say that right there shows his favoritism. If Connor grad transferred after this year do you think he would hear from tons of power 5 schools and get an offer from Kansas? Absolutely not, by even close. I said last year that the primary reason Connor played was because we had no other options at PG. Now we do so it will be interesting, but I know good and well that Connor is going to get minutes so hopefully he’s much improved.

Defensive performance on the court, ability to stay out of foul trouble, position chemistry and rebounding will determine who gets minutes. I can see Fran switching between a tall line-up and a 3 guard offense most of the season. Even 4 guards on the court at the same time seems feasible to me, depending on who we are playing at the time.

A depth chart would help clear things up, at least at the start of the season.

First thought is certainly Connor as I'm anticipating Joe T being a better option at point day 1.
The next options are Joe T or CJ, right?

Perhaps Joe T/JBo combo would be better than a JBo/CJ combo. I'm interested in seeing how Joe T, CJ, Bakari and the new guys defend as well as that will play into the mix.

I've always supported JBo playing PG but perhaps finally having a true PG could offer the luxury of having JBo play more off ball. Probably would be forced to zone on D.

A depth chart would help clear things up, at least at the start of the season.

Depth Chart with JBo:
JBo/Joe T
Bakari/CJ/JBo
Joe/CJ
Nunge/Kriener/Pemsl
Garza/Kriener

Depth Chart without JBo
Joe T/Connor
Bakari/CJ
Joe/CJ
Nunge/Kriener/Pemsl
Garza/Kriener

Anybody see it different?

Depth Chart with JBo:
JBo/Joe T
Bakari/CJ/JBo
Joe/CJ
Nunge/Kriener/Pemsl
Garza/Kriener

Depth Chart without JBo
Joe T/Connor
Bakari/CJ
Joe/CJ
Nunge/Kriener/Pemsl
Garza/Kriener

I think PMac gets the backup minutes at the 3. I find it hard to believe that Connor gets no minutes after getting 15 MPG last year.

Depth Chart with JBo:
JBo/Joe T
Bakari/CJ/JBo
Joe/CJ
Nunge/Kriener/Pemsl
Garza/Kriener

Depth Chart without JBo
Joe T/Connor
Bakari/CJ
Joe/CJ
Nunge/Kriener/Pemsl
Garza/Kriener

I think PMac gets the backup minutes at the 3. I find it hard to believe that Connor gets no minutes after getting 15 MPG last year.
Pat is definitely going to play and agree that it’s a stretch to think CMac loses his minutes.

Who is the last guard Iowa has recruited who, when playing, we said, "Wow, he is much better than advertised, a steal of a recruit?"
At guard I'd have to say Bryce Cartwright so that's pretty bad for Fran as BC was a dude he got last minute on the pitch in June just shortly after Fran was to coach Iowa.

Who is the last guard Iowa has recruited who, when playing, we said, "Wow, he is much better than advertised, a steal of a recruit?"
At guard I'd have to say Bryce Cartwright so that's pretty bad for Fran as BC was a dude he got last minute on the pitch in June just shortly after Fran was to coach Iowa.
Devyn Marble was lightly recruited and ended 1st Team All B1G. Same for Jok who was a 3*. Clemmons carved out a nice college career after being lightly recruited. Jbo was All B1G freshman after being considered a big fallback.

Other than that you guys nailed it.

So Jordan Bohannon isn't a "Wow he's much better than advertised, a steal recruit" guard for Iowa? I personally would say differently and so would probably 99% of the college basketball world.

Also, I heard he's been a full participant in practice, he's playing this year I think.

So Jordan Bohannon isn't a "Wow he's much better than advertised, a steal recruit" guard for Iowa? I personally would say differently and so would probably 99% of the college basketball world.

Also, I heard he's been a full participant in practice, he's playing this year I think.
Good, get him out of the PG spot and let him shoot, at will.

I'm still of the opinion that rushing him back is a bad idea. No way he will be in shape for his senior season. I vote you give the new guys a run at making it work before you decide to potentially throw away a full year of healthy training first.

Latest posts