Who’s the odd man out in the backcourt if Jbo plays?

Neither Evelyn nor Toussaint could make Bohannon the odd man out. Especially given his penchant for making game changing shots. The only one who could make Bohannon the odd man out would be Fredrick if tales of his shooting exploits can make the leap from the practice courts to the B1G courts. Even then, why wouldn't you want 2 elite shooters on the court at the same time?

Yeah IF JBo is healthy, I would want him and CJ at the guards, Joe W. , Nunge and Garza to start. That would seem t be a pretty solid 5. I would expect Evelyn and Toussaint to be right behind them. I suspect Fran will ease Jordan into the rotation slowly; let him build up his legs and conditioning by limiting his minutes in the non-conf part of the schedule, allowing him to be totally ready for the conf. part. let me re-state an earlier opinon on a different thread: I'm wildly excited about Iowa bb this year! Let's go!!!

Yeah IF JBo is healthy, I would want him and CJ at the guards, Joe W. , Nunge and Garza to start. That would seem t be a pretty solid 5. I would expect Evelyn and Toussaint to be right behind them. I suspect Fran will ease Jordan into the rotation slowly; let him build up his legs and conditioning by limiting his minutes in the non-conf part of the schedule, allowing him to be totally ready for the conf. part. let me re-state an earlier opinon on a different thread: I'm wildly excited about Iowa bb this year! Let's go!!!

I don't think Bohannon is that far off on conditioning. He's been able to run and stuff for awhile.

I don't think Bohannon is that far off on conditioning. He's been able to run and stuff for awhile.

Yeah, prolly correct! So let me amend my statement: I think Fran will ease JBo and limit his minutes to let the new guy play and see what they bring to the table. He should give them plenty of mins during the non-conf. schedule [I hope!].

Building back to competence after doing nothing for a while takes about 3 weeks of going full tilt in my experience. However, I don't think anyone is back to peak physical performance until they've had at least 3-6 months of full training. Also, there's about a 0% chance his labral tear is fully healed. Healed enough to train on, sure, but if he had a bioresorbable suture anchor, it will likely still be in there for another 30 months. And the labral tissue almost certainly won't be fully "scarred over" with fibrocartilage until sometime next summer. So, if he's playing this season, he'll be relying on the sutures and suture anchors to hold, not healed native tissue.

Building back to competence after doing nothing for a while takes about 3 weeks of going full tilt in my experience. However, I don't think anyone is back to peak physical performance until they've had at least 3-6 months of full training. Also, there's about a 0% chance his labral tear is fully healed. Healed enough to train on, sure, but if he had a bioresorbable suture anchor, it will likely still be in there for another 30 months. And the labral tissue almost certainly won't be fully "scarred over" with fibrocartilage until sometime next summer. So, if he's playing this season, he'll be relying on the sutures and suture anchors to hold, not healed native tissue.

In light of all that, if true and I'm not a doctor, I hope JBo redshirts this year, for his own good health. It just seems likely/risky that he would reinjure his hip at some point in the season.

I've enjoyed watching Bohannon play, but he isn't an NBA guy, and its possible he won't even be a guy that plays overseas. It seems reasonable to hope Evelyn and Toussaint have higher ceilings. Hopefully, he will be 100% this year and play. We didn't see Bohannon play at 100% last year.

Beyond Jordan, have you found any more clarity in your backcourt in terms of who you’re going to play at the one and the two? Do you know who you’re going to start on Monday? Do you know how you’re going to divide those minutes up?

FM: All of those guys are going to play. We’ll see. I’m getting closer to where I’m thinking about who the starters are going to be. But all four of those other guys are all playing really well. They played well on Sunday (in a scrimmage against Illinois State). They all bring different things to the table. So, I’m really excited about this group.

Not shocking with Fran, but he’s going to try and play all 5 guys at two spots. That will be very interesting to watch, especially if Jbo is a full go.

I guess the other idea that I’ve seen floated around is that Pat and or Joe would play some minutes at the 4 spot in a smaller lineup. We’d likely play zone in that case. That would allow some of these guards to grab some minutes at the 3 spot. Would probably then leave Pemsl as the odd man out.

Hopefully, Evelyn and Toussaint will make Bohannon the odd man out.
Only if JBo is hurt and a shell of himself. My guess is CM is odd man out. It depends on Toussant and how he is mentally. If he doesn't make mental mistakes out there I think his on the ball D and quickness will be a different dimension to the PG position we obviously haven't had in a while. And if CM is passing up open jumpers or not able to hit many it'll only make that decision easier to make. But we'll see hopefully he's nailing shots and Joe T is good and it's a tough decision.

Found the below on medical redshirts. The way I read it JBo could play for some amount of time and if his body just isn't ready he could still apply for the medical.

How does a player obtain a medical redshirt?
A player obtains a medical redshirt by applying for one through the NCAA following a season when they meet each of the following requirements:

• The player must have suffered an injury during their senior year of high school, or during one of their four eligible seasons for college competition. (This does not provide for players who are already redshirting a season and are injured in practice.)
  • The injury suffered must be "incapacitating", meaning it must be a season-ending injury.
  • The injury must occur during the first half of the season.
  • The player must have competed in no more than 30% of the season or four games, whichever is greater.
This application requires documented proof that the player meets each of the criteria.

Last edited:
After posting the above, I got to thinking about the point that says the injury must occur during the first half of the season.

I take that to possible mean that JBo actually has to give it a go. If he does and then can't go full bore only then can he request a medical.

Also one poster touched on JBo's basketball future post Iowa. I agree he's not NBA material. But if Mike Gesell can go to Denmark and win a championship then there's got to be a place in this big, wide world where JBo can play overseas.

Eventually I could living in Marion, IA either coaching or being part of Bohannon Enterprises.

Found the below on medical redshirts. The way I read it JBo could play for some amount of time and if his body just isn't ready he could still apply for the medical.

How does a player obtain a medical redshirt?
A player obtains a medical redshirt by applying for one through the NCAA following a season when they meet each of the following requirements:

• The player must have suffered an injury during their senior year of high school, or during one of their four eligible seasons for college competition. (This does not provide for players who are already redshirting a season and are injured in practice.)
  • The injury suffered must be "incapacitating", meaning it must be a season-ending injury.
  • The injury must occur during the first half of the season.
  • The player must have competed in no more than 30% of the season or four games, whichever is greater.
This application requires documented proof that the player meets each of the criteria. For
After posting the above, I got to thinking about the point that says the injury must occur during the first half of the season.

I take that to possible mean that JBo actually has to give it a go. If he does and then can't go full bore only then can he request a medical.

Also one poster touched on JBo's basketball future post Iowa. I agree he's not NBA material. But if Mike Gesell can go to Denmark and win a championship then there's got to be a place in this big, wide world where JBo can play overseas.

Eventually I could living in Marion, IA either coaching or being part of Bohannon Enterprises.
There must be a ton of grey area in there if Pemsl got one last year. He played in a game and didn’t reinjure it. He had some nagging pain I’m sure they argued and would do the same with Jbo.

Some have speculated that Jbo might not want to leave his fate up to the NCAA. After all he’s called them out in the past for issues so he might not be on their good side.

I thought I heard before that an injury had to be season ending. For instance, you cant play some games, twist an ankle, then take a medical redshirt. The injury has to prevent you from playing the rest of the year.

Also since Bohannon never redshirted, he can take a regular redshirt if he decides not to play at all. Not sure if zstatman knows that or not.

There must be a ton of grey area in there if Pemsl got one last year. He played in a game and didn’t reinjure it. He had some nagging pain I’m sure they argued and would do the same with Jbo.

Some have speculated that Jbo might not want to leave his fate up to the NCAA. After all he’s called them out in the past for issues so he might not be on their good side.

The only potential issue here is that Pemsl had the pain in season and got a surgery afterwards to correct the problem. Bohannon hopefully won't be undergoing further surgery after he'd stop playing in the season, so it is a bit more of grey area. You could make arguments for a secondary "injury", but it seems like more of a risk whereas Pemsl's was completely cut and dry.

Latest posts