Who’s the odd man out in the backcourt if Jbo plays?

I'm still of the opinion that rushing him back is a bad idea. No way he will be in shape for his senior season. I vote you give the new guys a run at making it work before you decide to potentially throw away a full year of healthy training first.

I don't want him to rush back either, but if he can play this season and help Iowa win basketball games - he should.

I'm still of the opinion that rushing him back is a bad idea. No way he will be in shape for his senior season. I vote you give the new guys a run at making it work before you decide to potentially throw away a full year of healthy training first.
I don't want him to rush back either, but if he can play this season and help Iowa win basketball games - he should.
I think he’s pretty close with Kriener and Pemsl. I think they all want to go out together (I’m thinking this is it for Pemsl too). It could be Wieskamp’s last year as well.

It sounds like he’s been doing well and hasn’t had setbacks. I’d let the medical professionals figure it out. Fran and Jbo said if he couldn’t go he wouldn’t. A year is a long time. If he plays we should have a pretty solid team.

Not too mention maybe he’s ready to go make money. My guess is that kid will be pretty successful wherever he ends up. Point being it’s easy for guys on the internet to say “just sit this year and come back next year,” different story when you’re the one actually making the decision.

I think he’s pretty close with Kriener and Pemsl. I think they all want to go out together (I’m thinking this is it for Pemsl too). It could be Wieskamp’s last year as well.

It sounds like he’s been doing well and hasn’t had setbacks. I’d let the medical professionals figure it out. Fran and Jbo said if he couldn’t go he wouldn’t. A year is a long time. If he plays we should have a pretty solid team.

Not too mention maybe he’s ready to go make money. My guess is that kid will be pretty successful wherever he ends up. Point being it’s easy for guys on the internet to say “just sit this year and come back next year,” different story when you’re the one actually making the decision.

Completely agree. My armchair decision making doesn't know 1/10th of the factors that are going into it, let alone have the pressure of being the guy living it. That said, my bias as a Hawkeye fan optimizing the next two seasons would be to have Garza and Wieskamp back next year playing with a healthy JBo and a Pemsl who's not dealing with a suspension. It's almost guaranteed all those things won't come together, but a man can dream.

If he is already full go in practice, he is playing for sure baring a setback. He's been able to run for awhile now so he should be in decent shape. He's been shooting and I assume dribbling for awhile so should be ok there. He has a good month before we play a decent team so that's a long time to polish up.

If he is already full go in practice, he is playing for sure baring a setback. He's been able to run for awhile now so he should be in decent shape. He's been shooting and I assume dribbling for awhile so should be ok there. He has a good month before we play a decent team so that's a long time to polish up.
Kind of what I’m thinking. There are videos of him participating in drills which include running two weeks ago.

With Evelyn and Cmac both having experience that helps as well. Jbo could be more in that 25 minute range and spend some more time off the ball.

Kind of what I’m thinking. There are videos of him participating in drills which include running two weeks ago.

With Evelyn and Cmac both having experience that helps as well. Jbo could be more in that 25 minute range and spend some more time off the ball.

If he plays, it will be short mins in the first half. We will need him at the end of the game.

Devyn Marble was lightly recruited and ended 1st Team All B1G. Same for Jok who was a 3*. Clemmons carved out a nice college career after being lightly recruited. Jbo was All B1G freshman after being considered a big fallback.

Other than that you guys nailed it.

Both Dev and Jok developed into great players. Neither was impressive in their freshmen seasons. Bryce Cartwright led the B1G in assists his first year playing for Iowa.

Yes, SOME people thought JoBo was a disappointing get as he was kind of a fall back recruit. I did not feel that way. Just by default of being a Bohannon I figured at minimum he'd be serviceable. I also remember what a prolific scorer and shooter he was in high school and if you can shoot that always translates to the next level. So for me I didn't list JoBo because he was about as good as I expected him to be.

OMG yes I still remember him sitting Kingsbury after he'd hit a couple in a row. That part of his coaching had to be frustrating
Think about how frustrated Kingsbury was when he came back to the bench and couldn't find his flask.

OK, just joking, but don't tell me wasn't at least buzzing, during the game, when he brought the ball up against Minnesota, in a normal possession situation, and let one fly from just inside half court. Davis just stood there with his hands in his pockets and shook his head. The amazing thing is that the shot was on line and nearly went in.

Kingsbury's face and cheeks would get more flushed and beet red during a game than any player I ever saw. It wasn't lack of cardiovascular conditioning I'll tell you that.

Last edited:
It’s looking more and more like Jbo will play this year. The handling of the backcourt minutes as this thread mentioned is going to be very interesting to see. Hearing some positives out of Evelyn and Frederick, and it makes me wonder how in the world is Fran going to manage these minutes.

How’s this:

Jbo - 25 min
Evelyn - 18 min
Frederick - 18 min
Toussaint - 10 min
McCaffery - 9 min

It’s pretty easy to see there are some issues here. Jbo has played about 30 minutes the last three years. Many have speculated Connor’s minutes won’t drop. Heck even 18 minutes for Evelyn and CJF is light if they are in your top 3 guards.

Even if you add say 10 minutes from the 3 spot to this group it’s still light.

If he feels good enough, and it's not a risk, I don't know why you wouldn't at least give him a few games to see how it feels. Can always shut it down after giving it a go for a bit.

If he feels good enough, and it's not a risk, I don't know why you wouldn't at least give him a few games to see how it feels. Can always shut it down after giving it a go for a bit.

Yes sir! Good thing with basketball is there will be opportunities to test it out in some game situations. I think he'll decide early as he won't flirt with playing too many games and jeopardize a chance of a medical redshirt.

Based on JBos comments, I don't think he wants to go into his senior year not healthy so I don't get the sense he wants to push it.

We'll see.

Why does there need to be an odd man out? Fran is on record for saying if they deserve to play they will play.

Some of this might come out in the exhibition game on Monday but I'd guess everyone that can play will play then.

The real key will be if it's a tight game which 5 are playing at the end of the game?

Delays development of the younger guys and prevents the eventual starting 5 from gelling until after he shuts it down. He is scraping against the bare minimum recovery time from that surgery already. I think if you play him this year, you give him as long as possible before trying him out in the December slate against higher quality competition. If he's ready to make an impact and be the best JBo we've seen yet, then you'll know right away. If not, you can still take a redshirt while having given him every opportunity to heal for an extra 4 weeks.

He may be running in practice, but doing nothing that requires cutting and putting sideways pressure on the injury. Game time basketball is a lot more stressful and puts all kinds of harsh stresses on the legs and ankles. We'll have to see how it plays out, but I would hate to see him risk reinjury if he isn't fully healed.

Why does there need to be an odd man out? Fran is on record for saying if they deserve to play they will play.

Some of this might come out in the exhibition game on Monday but I'd guess everyone that can play will play then.

The real key will be if it's a tight game which 5 are playing at the end of the game?
I think Evelyn was probably brought in with the mindset that Jbo wasn’t going to be able to play. From what I’ve gathered I’d say I’m about 75% that Jbo will be a full go this year.

Now you try to divide up 80 minutes between 5 guys. Also realize that Jbo has played about 30 minutes in each of the last three years. Also with the understanding that anything less than 12 minutes per game for any one player is pretty light. Dailey for instance averaged 12.4 minutes last year.

Hopefully, Evelyn and Toussaint will make Bohannon the odd man out.
With Bohannon’s ability to shoot the basketball at an elite level I don’t think he’d ever be the odd man out. If those two guys you mentioned were great PGs Bohannon would likely play his minutes at the 2 guard spot.

Hopefully, Evelyn and Toussaint will make Bohannon the odd man out.

Neither Evelyn nor Toussaint could make Bohannon the odd man out. Especially given his penchant for making game changing shots. The only one who could make Bohannon the odd man out would be Fredrick if tales of his shooting exploits can make the leap from the practice courts to the B1G courts. Even then, why wouldn't you want 2 elite shooters on the court at the same time?

Delays development of the younger guys and prevents the eventual starting 5 from gelling until after he shuts it down. He is scraping against the bare minimum recovery time from that surgery already. I think if you play him this year, you give him as long as possible before trying him out in the December slate against higher quality competition. If he's ready to make an impact and be the best JBo we've seen yet, then you'll know right away. If not, you can still take a redshirt while having given him every opportunity to heal for an extra 4 weeks.

Fair enough points. It's different for ISU and Naz. When Naz was coming off of his surgery, Deonte Burton wasn't eligible until second semester so they basically needed a body for that semester.

That said, JBo playing would allow somebody like JT to come along at a little slower pace which could be good for him. We just don't know.

Latest posts