Who's the best HS athlete you've seen in person?

Just remembered, I watched Broderick Binns (DE, Iowa), Michael Floyd (WR, Notre Dame), and Seantrel Henderson (OT, Hurripukes) play basketball together- saw one game at Cretin Durham Hall vs. White Bear Lake a few years ago. Remember thinking Floyd was obviously the most athletic- also acted like a goofball; Henderson would have been a frosh or soph at the time- was just a big body, didn't pay much attention to him. Binns was a workhorse- his work ethic and strength stuck out like a sore thumb.

Best pitch and catch high school duo I've ever seen was Pleasantville's football teams in the 90's...Scott Korselman at QB and Grant Magraw (sp)at reciever. I'm sure they both are somewhere in Iowa's record books. Hung half a hundred on every team they played and rarely had a game go to the 4th quarter.

I've mostly watched CIML athletes with the last decade or so, and there are three that stand out, Matt Macri from Dowling, Jeremy Hellickson from Hoover, and Aaron Jarosh from Ankeny.

Played baseball at Hoover with Jeremy Hellickson. He was lights out even as an 8th grader playing for varsity. Watched Jeff Horner break the scoring record. He was amazing.

Drew Henson - Brighton, MI

USA Today player of the year in baseball, 5* QB in Football. Enrolled early at Michigan to play QB. Signed with Yankees senior year of high school. Never made it out of AAA Columbus and played QB sparingly for Dallas Cowboys.

Although it wasn't in person, I watched the Bettendorf - Valley state championship game when Angerer was a senior and he looked like a college senior playing against a JV team. Brandon Meyer's performance for PCM his senior year in the 2A state basketball championship stands out, too.

I played basketball in HS against Tork Hook(had to guard him) who went on to play football for Iowa. His letter jacket had so many medals, it looked more like a suit of armor. Pretty good athlete for a small town in southern Iowa.

Hinrich- played against us when he was a senior and I was a freshman (I was not on the varsity, but in the stands)

Hellickson- He has always been a natural

Barnes- I watched this kid as a 7th grader all the way through high school. I was able to watch him dominate the AAU circuit the summer between his soph and junior year (when he really blew up). He makes everything look easy, and I don't think it will be any different in the ACC. He will be the best pro basketball player to ever come out of Iowa IMO.

Jok will be something special too, and there are a few other athletes that are coming through the CIML in the next couple years.

I've mostly watched CIML athletes with the last decade or so, and there are three that stand out, Matt Macri from Dowling, Jeremy Hellickson from Hoover, and Aaron Jarosh from Ankeny.

Wow...there's a name in Matt Macri. I played against him. That kid WAS good. So smooth defensively at SS, and carried a pretty good stick. He always looked like he was playing a different game than everyone else, especially in the field. He might have had the best hands I have ever seen from a HS baseball player.

I played against Bruce Reimers from Humboldt. I was two years ahead of him.

As a sophomore, he was already dominating at the varsity level.

I relocated to Austin from the QC in the mid 80s

saw Cedric Benson in a playoff game vs Westlake ... Benson was a damn beast in HS and was on the cover of Dave Campbell's magz down here
in TX which was a rarity

Got to see Drew Brees in action as he was Texas 5A player of the year leading Westlake HS here in Austin to an unbeaten season scoring 55 pts
in the Championship game .... Brees .. a true stud and how he had no offers
from Texas based schools and got told by Washington State to get lost when
he pitched them hard is almost comical

Ok,wayback machine here...but I have to go with Larry Biittner of Pocahontas,Iowa.
Graduated from HS around 1968. 1st team all state in basketball,back when only 5 guys were selected,no classes,and he was out of Poky Catholic,a school of about 150. Averaged like 40pts a game. But he was a better baseball player...also 1st team all state in baseball. Went to Drake on a basketball scholly, then transferred to Buena Vista and played both sports. Drafted by the Washington Senators,played about 10 years with the Senator,Rangers,and Cubs.
He was an absolutely dominant pitcher in HS,as well as a great hitter. Ended up as an outfielder in the pros,but also even pitched a couple of times for the cubs in a pinch.
I was a kid,and the whole town just worshipped the guy,hence Biittner Field was built. If Poky Catholic had played football, he would have been a great QB also.
He was like ''The Natural''.

During my era, it was Kenny Shedd and David Knight...ran at the Drake Relays in the late 80s and they were pretty remarkable track athletes who just glided around a 1/4 mile in 45-48 secs (Knight had one of the best 4x4 legs I've seen).

Both gave football a shot and most thought Knight had the better chance but it was Shedd who made it to the NFL.

These are going to be bizzarro ones, but I'll throw these in for fun:

1. Reggie Roby. Saw him booming kicks and punts waayy back in the day when I was a grade schooler in central Iowa, and he was playing for Waterloo East. I was amazed by his leg. Always was.

2. The DeBoom brothers who swam for CR (Wash?). One of them is still a top level pro triathlete, and I believe wins the Ironman Hawaii now and then.

Tyler Sash - he single handedly beat my hometown football team in the H.S. playoffs, he was phenomenal

Jess Settles and Clay Edwards- Saw them many times at area bb games and at state, pretty good combo.

Raef Lafrentz- Saw him at the state tourney

Tim Dwight - Saw him at the state track meet and Drake Relays, unreal speed.

I relocated from Eastern Iowa to Ankeny about 6 years ago. I was use to class A football so watching Ankeny 4A was very eye opening. The best player i've ever seen in person was Andy Brodell. They would just do sweep after sweep with him and he would take it to the house just about every time. He was so fast and it blew me away because in High School he wasn't that big...but kid could fly!

Correct me if i'm wrong, but i think he also broke Tim Dwight & Adam Huluska 100 or 200 meter state record in track???

Latest posts