Who’s Going To Wrigley?

Meh, football games in baseball stadiums just seem to be a bad idea. The sight lines are bad and seating is limited. If your goal is to watch a game at Wrigley, you have 82 Cubs games a year to choose from.

Still, if the game was in September or October, I might still consider it. But of course the problem is you have to wait until November after the baseball is done. The weather might be nice that day, so guess you could chance it. It just seems like there are better months to visit Chicago.
First Saturday in November, if it's like recent years it'll be light jacket weather. Now that I've said that, expect a blizzard.

Northwestern will do anything to avoid playing in their own stadium.
Ireland.
Now, the rattiest stadium in professional sports.
I mean, it's a lovely place for baseball. And it'll be unique and stuff.

But as a stadium...not a baseball stadium...
It's ratty.
This may not be a popular opinion, but playing at Soldier Field would be much better to watch a football game.

In other news, have you guys seen the NW football stadium upgrade plans? They are going to put a ton of money into that place. If the results are anything like their training facility by the lake (which is amazing) this should be a much better place to visit.

The 1st game in 2007 with NIU at Solider was a great weekend in Chicago. It was September labor day weekend and the Cubs were in town, the jazz festival was large...fun weekend with lots of family and alums.
But it wasnt November ...which has less things to do with the cold weather but plenty to do indoors.
Ive been to many games in Wrigley where I could barely brave the temps and wind however, and that was for baseball. I still think its a good roadie based on the home schedule. Personally I am waiting for regular season game at the colisuem and the rose bowl weather will be more to my likeing.

The 1st game in 2007 with NIU at Solider was a great weekend in Chicago. It was September labor day weekend and the Cubs were in town, the jazz festival was large...fun weekend with lots of family and alums.
But it wasnt November ...which has less things to do with the cold weather but plenty to do indoors.
Ive been to many games in Wrigley where I could barely brave the temps and wind however, and that was for baseball. I still think its a good roadie based on the home schedule. Personally I am waiting for regular season game at the colisuem and the rose bowl weather will be more to my likeing.

The rumors that I "pissed my pants" at that game in 2007 at Soldier are categorically false. The Chicago Park District put out 4 porta potties for that entire giant parking lot. I pissed in a Gatorade bottle in a car. A small amount of piss, possibly 3 or 4 drops, dribbled onto my shorts and fake news sources ran with the claim that I pissed my pants. Those reports are NOT true.

This may not be a popular opinion, but playing at Soldier Field would be much better to watch a football game.
Disagree. I've been there before and Soldier Field sucks. A NW game in November would get 30,000 people maybe, and a less than half full football stadium would make it feel even dumber. Wrigley might suck for watching the game, but the atmosphere is what people go to games for, not the game itself.

I'll take Wrigleyville on a weekend anytime over the Lakeshore neighborhood. That place is a frickin' butthole.

In other news, have you guys seen the NW football stadium upgrade plans? They are going to put a ton of money into that place. If the results are anything like their training facility by the lake (which is amazing) this should be a much better place to visit.

I loved sitting in the back row at Dyche. You look out one way and the leaves are changing colors everywhere, you look behind you and the Lake is right there. Given that they used to have a rusty fence keeping people from falling 200 feet to their death I suspect the engineering standards on the reboot will be much higher and those pristine views will disappear.

First meal I ate as a father was at Mustard's a few hours after my son was born. I'll always have a soft spot in my heart for that little pocket of land.

The rumors that I "pissed my pants" at that game in 2007 at Soldier are categorically false. The Chicago Park District put out 4 porta potties for that entire giant parking lot. I pissed in a Gatorade bottle in a car. A small amount of piss, possibly 3 or 4 drops, dribbled onto my shorts and fake news sources ran with the claim that I pissed my pants. Those reports are NOT true.

Yes, see, another vote for the Gatorade bottles. If you need a bigger neck, plastic peanut jars are even better. More ounces with a bigger lid.

1675962361618.png

Disagree. I've been there before and Soldier Field sucks. A NW game in November would get 30,000 people maybe, and a less than half full football stadium would make it feel even dumber. Wrigley might suck for watching the game, but the atmosphere is what people go to games for, not the game itself.

I'll take Wrigleyville on a weekend anytime over the Lakeshore neighborhood. That place is a frickin' butthole.
How can I disagree with the eloquence of "butthole"? lol

I used to live in Wrigleyville, pal. I know every bar on Southport! I agree that the atmosphere is much better in the Neighborhoods. Watching the game, though? Soldier Field is much better. It's a modern football stadium.

Plus, if you're not terrified of big cities and know how to navigate, it's possible to spend a weekend seeing both spots. Now that I don't live there, I typically stay downtown and enjoy that area, and then take the L up to my old stomping grounds. 30 minutes on the Red Line and you're there.

You're such a hater :)

How can I disagree with the eloquence of "butthole"? lol

I used to live in Wrigleyville, pal. I know every bar on Southport! I agree that the atmosphere is much better in the Neighborhoods. Watching the game, though? Soldier Field is much better. It's a modern football stadium.

Plus, if you're not terrified of big cities and know how to navigate, it's possible to spend a weekend seeing both spots. Now that I don't live there, I typically stay downtown and enjoy that area, and then take the L up to my old stomping grounds. 30 minutes on the Red Line and you're there.

You're such a hater :)

He ain't wrong, though. That neighborhood around Solider blows ass.

I don't want to jinx the team, but Kurt is due to pull another rabbit out of his hat and based on what has transpired in the portal, our schedule and who we have back this could be the year. If Iowa is sitting at 0 or 1 loss going into this game demand for tickets from Iowa fans is going to be astronomical and Solider would be better. If we look similar to 2022 you would definitely want the game to be at Wrigley so they don't have to tarp off the whole upper deck at Solider. There are good arguments for both venues.

The last game I rode the train from downtown to was the game where the Cubs won the pennant in the year they won the World Series. That thing was nuts to butts. After being in the country 5 years now I would probably die on that train. I hate crowds.

He ain't wrong, though. That neighborhood around Solider blows ass.

I don't want to jinx the team, but Kurt is due to pull another rabbit out of his hat and based on what has transpired in the portal, our schedule and who we have back this could be the year. If Iowa is sitting at 0 or 1 loss going into this game demand for tickets from Iowa fans is going to be astronomical and Solider would be better. If we look similar to 2022 you would definitely want the game to be at Wrigley so they don't have to tarp off the whole upper deck at Solider. There are good arguments for both venues.

The last game I rode the train from downtown to was the game where the Cubs won the pennant in the year they won the World Series. That thing was nuts to butts. After being in the country 5 years now I would probably die on that train. I hate crowds.
I didn't say that the neighborhood around Soldier was great. I said that the football stadium is a better place to watch a football game.

My personal opinion... I think watching football games in baseball stadiums is not the best way to watch a football game. Feel free to disagree.

I love the Clark/Southport area, and am looking to find a way to get back there this year.

I totally agree that there are pros and cons to both venues, and that probably on the whole, the Wrigleyville area is much better for fans hanging out before and after the game, without a doubt.

I've been to events at both places, many times.

My personal opinion... I think watching football games in baseball stadiums is not the best way to watch a football game. Feel free to disagree.
All stadiums suck to watch games in unless you're in a suite.

If watching the game was the main concern no one would ever go to a game live. You can sit on a couch in whatever temp you feel comfortable in, watch a game in 720 or 1080 with replay and DVR essentially for free with whatever food you want, bathroom whenever you want with no wait, and zero travel requirements or expense.

Even Kinnick sucks to watch games in if viewing the game is your only criteria. Expensive tickets, ludicrous concessions prices that you have to stand in line for 45 minutes to get, 30 minute bathroom waits, 18" of seating space when the average ass is closer to 28", freezing temps, traffic.

It's not about watching the game. I'd rather go watch a game at a cramped place like Wrigley in a cool neighborhood than go sit in a POS football stadium with 60% of the seats empty. Crowd will be closer and it'd be way louder in Wrigley too. Soldier would look and sound like a bowl game between a 6-6 team and a 5-7 team.

If watching the game was the main concern no one would ever go to a game live. You can sit on a couch in whatever temp you feel comfortable in, watch a game in 720 or 1080 with replay and DVR essentially for free with whatever food you want, bathroom whenever you want with no wait, and zero travel requirements or expense.

Even Kinnick sucks to watch games in if viewing the game is your only criteria. Expensive tickets, ludicrous concessions prices that you have to stand in line for 45 minutes to get, 30 minute bathroom waits, 18" of seating space when the average ass is closer to 28", freezing temps, traffic.

It's not about watching the game. I'd rather go watch a game at a cramped place like Wrigley in a cool neighborhood than go sit in a POS football stadium with 60% of the seats empty. Crowd will be closer and it'd be way louder in Wrigley too. Soldier would look and sound like a bowl game between a 6-6 team and a 5-7 team.
Watching games in kinnick: the best, unless you're soft and hate people.

Edit: Amended for thinking Fry meant Iowa was going 6-6. I stand corrected.

Last edited:

Yes, just because a team plays in Soldier doesn't mean they are going to sell out. When I first saw the layout of the field in the pic at Wrigley, first thing that came to my mind was how close some fans are going to be seeing the field. And, the Wrigley is going to look more full than what Soldier would look.

Watching games in kinnick: the best, unless you're soft and hate people.

6-6? Nice hot take. Wanna bet?

He's not saying Iowa is going to go 6-6, he's saying the atmosphere is going to be like watching a 6-6 team in a bowl game. Any team, not just Iowa.

Latest posts